Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

DVD Storage Boxes

Helpful advice for getting the most out of Chameleon MediaCenter
Pauven

DVD Storage Boxes

Post by Pauven » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:10 pm

As is typical for movie enthusiasts like us, I keep my collection digitally accessible on my server, and my physical discs are kept in storage. Not counting Blu-rays or UHD 4K discs, I have a bit over 300 DVD discs, including my very first DVD's I bought over 20 years ago.

For the past 5 years, I've kept my 300+ DVD's in a couple large cardboard shipping boxes. The problem with a big box with over 150 DVD's in it is numerous: large, heavy, and extremely hard to find a disc if you need to.

This past week I went through all my old DVD's and ripped any that hadn't already been ripped, and decided while I had everything out that it was time to rectify my storage solution.

I looked on Amazon for DVD storage boxes, and found some nice ones for $10 each that could hold at most 24 DVD's. I already knew I needed about 15 boxes, and there was no way I was going to spend $150 just to store discs in the basement.

A bit more searching, and I found a bundle of 25 cardboard boxes of nearly perfect size - 12" long x 8" wide x 6" high:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT5FZKU

image.png
image.png (439.45 KiB) Viewed 8807 times

The best part, the bundle was only $25. At a $1 per box, I knew I had found what I was looking for. Not only was each box about the size of a large shoebox, it just so happened that most of my collection had about 15-20 titles per alphabet letter, so the grouping of titles to boxes was going to work very well.

image.png
image.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 8807 times

Depending upon the size of the DVD cases, I found that at most I could fit 22 DVD cases in a box: up to 20 arranged like books, and then a couple more laid flat on top.

I also took the opportunity to print some labels so I could quickly find any discs I need in the future.
image.png
image.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 8807 times

And in case you're wondering, yes these work great for Blu-ray and UHD discs too, as you can fit up to about 30 28 of these smaller cases in each box.

I hope this info comes in handy for other users. And feel free to share your own solutions here.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Re: DVD Storage Boxes

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:05 pm

I like these. https://mmdesign.com/ disc socks. They’re not cheap, but you can store a lot of discs in a very small space. I don’t keep the cases unless it’s a box set like Kimba. I have this drawer unit from ikea that I think has enough height and with for three maybe four rows of disc socks.
CC3448E2-E3F0-448C-B003-1E84F03C60B0.jpeg
CC3448E2-E3F0-448C-B003-1E84F03C60B0.jpeg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 8668 times
CAB4A8C9-B249-4050-AD25-6162FABCD181.jpeg
CAB4A8C9-B249-4050-AD25-6162FABCD181.jpeg (101.26 KiB) Viewed 8668 times
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

ScareDcrow

Post by ScareDcrow » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:38 pm

I like these boxes from BagsUnlimited

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/4 ... -cardboard
They are $32 each but hold 108 cases each. I have 10 of them....and now need more :-)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 pm

That's a very nice box. I didn't know they existed, so thanks for the tip.

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like you get 2 boxes for $32, so $16 each.

I would need 5 of the boxes I listed to hold a similar # of DVD cases, but they still come out cheaper at $5 for 5 boxes, versus $16 for one. The price premium for the Bags Unlimited box isn't as bad as I first thought.

I guess it comes down to the quality of the box (seems like the Bags Unlimited box is nicer quality) and whether or not you want to lug around bigger, heavier boxes. Moving around shoebox sized boxes with 22 DVD cases is light and easy. Not sure how heavy that big box with 108 cases would be, but I used to use big moving boxes for storage, and I remember they get bulky and heavy with about 100-150 cases.

I guess another factor is ease of access. The boxes I found don't have a lid, they are basically a shipping box, and I taped them closed with packing tape. Perfect for my use, where I may not open the boxes for many, many years. The Bags Unlimited box has a nice lid and organizing tray, so if you need more frequent access to them I could see it being worth the premium.

Thanks for sharing!
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

ScareDcrow

Post by ScareDcrow » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm

They are very movable, more especially for big moves (imagine having the boxes on a dolly).
If your discs are all online and you are using CMC to great advantage, then they are great for packing the discs all away in a storage room :-)