Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Plex stops supporting PLex Media Player for HTPCs

Sales happen. And when they do, we'll post about them here. Noteworthy new releases too. And if you find the deal first, post it here so we all can benefit.
Pauven

Re: Plex stops supporting PLex Media Player for HTPCs

Post by Pauven » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 pm

htguys and avexcel are exactly what I was thinking of when I think of podcasts. Some (most? all?) have RSS feeds, like this: https://www.avexcel.com/episodes?format=RSS

Though it has been close to twenty years, I did work with RSS feeds a long time ago.

It should be possible to give CMC a way to subscribe to RSS feeds, and to play back the audio only podcasts. Video, on the other hand, could be more problematic, though probably a lot easier than trying to do DVD/Blu-ray video.

htguys has this to say about podcasts:
htguys wrote:A podcast is rich media, such as audio or video, distributed via RSS. Feeds like this one provide updates whenever there is new content. FeedBurner makes it easy to receive content updates in popular podcatchers.

Of course, the easier, quicker and probably more complete solution is just to add a podcatcher like feedburner as an External Link in CMC. That way you get a fully developed podcatcher that you can launch from CMC, and that doesn't add a bunch of development to my plate.

Besides, there's so many podcatchers available, most users probably already have their favorites configured with their feeds across all their platforms, so I'm thinking it would be foolish for me to start a new one from scratch. Technically I've already added support for one: spotify.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Jamie wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 pm Here are some of the best Podcast Players. I think that I would like VLC over itunes.

Isn't iTunes dead? I thought I read that recently.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Pauven wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 pm
Jamie wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 pm Here are some of the best Podcast Players. I think that I would like VLC over itunes.

Isn't iTunes dead? I thought I read that recently.
Yes, Itunes is dead in a couple oF months. May still be on PC for a while yet.

I found Grover Pro and I like it./ I already set up my favorite podcasts. Grover Pro is a UWP app in the MS store. $3. I should be able to set CMC to run this app, myself shouldn't I? I will probably be the only one who uses it. I wouldn't want to tie you up with trivial requests.

This is a screen shot of the app in the MS store.
Grover Pro.jpg
Grover Pro.jpg (185.73 KiB) Viewed 10641 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 am

Hey Jamie, sorry I don't remember - did you ever get Grover Pro configured as an External Link in CMC?

If so, can you share your config and Icon?

If not, do you want me to add it?

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:15 pm

yes, I got it working with your help. I had problems with the store app but by following your instructions I got it to work. We might have resolved it offline.

exe: explore.exe
icon: Grover.png
exe params: shell:appsFolder\14610MatheusI.M.GroverPro_jx8kt06yv8vw6!App

I have not corrected the icon to meet the look and feel of CMC, but will in the future
Grover Pro.png
Grover Pro.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 10469 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:19 pm

I just added this to Beta 11, along with Disney+

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks Paul. I use both of them. I am now out of room to expand. Any hope in a future CMC version to add more slots????

Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Jamie wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:39 pm Any hope in a future CMC version to add more slots????

Yes. 8-)