Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Simpsons seasons 1 - 20 disc set

Sales happen. And when they do, we'll post about them here. Noteworthy new releases too. And if you find the deal first, post it here so we all can benefit.
Jamie

Simpsons seasons 1 - 20 disc set

Post by Jamie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Here is some information that was release on an exclusive seasons 1 - 20 disc set for the Simpsons. All the discs are DVD and the discs will only be sold at Amazon and Best Buy. I already have all the simpsons seasons 1 -20 so it's not worth it for me to purchase it. The fact that it is only DVD is also disheartening.

Now them, the other big piece of news today is that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has just announced that they’re releasing a massive limited edition 79-disc/441-episode DVD box set, The Simpsons: The Complete Seasons 1-20, on 12/3. Only 1000 units will be available, half of which will be distributed to Amazon while the others will go to Best Buy. The SRP on Amazon is (or was, it seems to be unavailable at the moment) was $499.98. There’s no exclusive content in the set, so it’s reasonable to assume it just collects all of the previously released DVDs. Here’s what the packaging looks like (with an Amazon link)...

The Simpsons: The Complete Seasons 1-20 (DVD Box set Limited Edition)
simpsonsdvdbox.jpg
simpsonsdvdbox.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 7951 times
Now, people have asked: Why DVD? Keep in mind that Seasons 1-12 of the show are only available in SD (in the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio). Seasons 12-17 plus 20 have been released in Blu-ray too at the 1.78:1 aspect ratio. So it’s complicated. They can’t really do a full BD box set of Seasons 1-20, and to add the BDs of Seasons 12-17 and 20 to this set would increase the expensive even more. So DVD is what we get.

Pauven

Re: Simpsons seasons 1 - 20 disc set

Post by Pauven » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 am

I was going to say that, outside of the convenience factor and perhaps collectability of the limited edition, this doesn't seem like a good value, especially for DVD's. $25 a season, ouch. I picked up the Game of Thrones box set of seasons 1-7 on Blu-ray for just $120, a reasonable bargain at only $17 per season.

But then I looked up prices for individual seasons on DVD... what the!!! Are these out of print, rare seasons manufactured on unobtanium? Most of these prices are on Amazon, and they also offer to sell you Prime Video versions of each season for $20, so perhaps the DVD prices are inflated there to drive Prime Video sales. But at the same time, I see high prices on other vendors, including Ebay. Seems weird to me, I expected the Simpsons to be an everyday commodity item, not a rare collectible.

I also found this interesting article: https://www.slashfilm.com/the-simpsons- ... continued/

So I guess if you are a die-hard fan that somehow hadn't already collected all the available seasons, then the new box set makes sense and even represents a good value if compared against the astronomical prices for individual seasons, but even then Amazon Prime Video offers it for less if you're open to online streaming (and some may prefer). And if you have a cable TV subscription with FXX, then you can go to https://www.simpsonsworld.com and stream every episode for free. And I think that includes seasons beyond the first 20.

I guess just put me in the baffled and confused camp. $500 just seems too much for too little, especially for a commodity item you can find elsewhere for less or even free. I guess that's why there will only be 1000 units available - this is for die-hard collectors only who just want something pretty on their shelf - since these are the same viewers like Jamie who already have these seasons on disc.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am

What is it with all of these Best Buy only exclusives?? Yes you can get this limited edition from from Amazon, but I have been seeing a number of box sets that can only be purchased at Best Buy.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am

Agreed. Best Buy seems to get a lot of Steel Book exclusives. Seems like a smart way to drive store traffic (both online and brick). Target gets some stuff too. I rarely buy from BB, mostly because their prices are higher. I'm guessing they have to pay for the privilege of having an exclusive. It concerns me that perhaps the market is shrinking and not healthy, so they are willing to try these schemes.

On the other hand, I've seen similar with Roku's - there are several Walmart only editions. You also get different shortcut buttons (i.e. Hulu, Netflix, Prime, CBS) depending upon where you buy your Roku. And since the buttons are hard-coded for most Roku models, it actually creates a reason to buy at one store over another. Roku's are doing fairly well, so perhaps one-store exclusives is bringing something extra to the market that we otherwise would miss out on entirely.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter