Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Lot of ideas for future versions] Limiting export to some shares

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Jamie

Re: Limiting export to some shares

Post by Jamie » Fri May 31, 2019 4:00 pm

I just tested the Jriver support on my HD monitor and it played well. It did come up in playback mode not menu for blurays. I would prefer that the menus come up first and then I could switch over if I just wanted to just play the movie. There were no artifacts or tearing of the picture for Bluray movies. Dvd play back was fine too and the DVD came up in full menu mode I would say that the playback was equivalent to PowerDVD on my desktop and and HD monitor.

I will test on my HTPC and HD TV tonight and will also test the remote.

I have a license for Jriver version 21 and I tested with Version 25 today. Jriver is offering an upgrade to the Version 25 windows only for $17 this weekend. For that price I figure that it will be worth it especially if it has full menu support for 4K movies. I will just be using it for it's player. I still prefer the simplicity of CMC, it's mymovie WMC like experience, plus the ability to use multiple players. I also hate the fact that Jriver attempts to hijack my file extensions and import my music and video files without my permission. I was able to shut that down before it made a move on my collection but it is still annoying...

Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri May 31, 2019 4:40 pm

The irony is not lost on me that CMC is now driving sales for JRiver… :lol:
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri May 31, 2019 5:15 pm

:D

Manni

Post by Manni » Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes jRiver properly configured works fine, well done. No tearing, instant menus, 1000% better than bloated PowerDVD, plus UHD BD menus without a silly protected path. Thanks a lot for implementing it, you've just earned a customer :) I'm going to purchase the software so that at least you're doing all this work for a customer, not a prospective customer :)

Jamie, if you set video settings to menu on, it will start with the menus and you can switch to title playback with a right click, or using the up arrow (keyboard or remote)that brings up the jRive menu (lots of options) during playback.

jRiver doesn't do anything if you don't ask it to. You can change the library settings so that it scans nothing. It doesn't replace any file names either. You just need to spend some time to get to know the software.

This being said, while jRiver is IMHO the best player around, I also prefer CMC's interface thanks to its better integration with MyMovies, especially re categories. So that's what I'll be using, given that I can now have the best of both worlds, ie MyMovies full support with jRiver as a player.

It's a bit annoying to have to do ALT-4 twice (or stop / ALT-4), but I have an EXIT button on iRule, so that's not too bad. Not very family friendly though. That's why there was that utility that closed jRiver after playback, but I never got to get it to work properly.

I tried the new CME but for some reason, while it launches on my laptop, it refuses to launch on my HTPC. No idea why. It's not an AV issue (I had lots of problems to get CMC to not be deleted by Norton). The .exe file is intact, it just does nothing when you try to launch it.

I'm going to purchase CMC and import my whole database so that I can do more tests on blurays and DVDs. Then I'll let you know if the titles remain when a server is offline. I'll report back re TV Series integration if I find a way to launch CME.

Thanks again for all your work :)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri May 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Manni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm Yes jRiver properly configured works fine, well done. No tearing, instant menus, 1000% better than bloated PowerDVD, plus UHD BD menus without a silly protected path.

Since you seem to be our resident JRiver expert, any chance you could do a write-up on how to get the best JRiver experience? It would be a perfect fit for the Tips & Tricks section: viewforum.php?f=11

Manni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm I'm going to purchase the software so that at least you're doing all this work for a customer, not a prospective customer

Awesome, thanks! Every little bit helps fund further development.

Manni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm It's a bit annoying to have to do ALT-4 twice (or stop / ALT-4)

How odd. While I have bad video quality (most likely just settings need adjusting), I only have to do a single Alt+F4 to exit JRiver while a video is playing. I just tested this again, and sure enough right in the middle of a DVD I pressed Alt+F4 and immediately JRiver closed and I was back at CMC. I'm playing with the latest version, v25.

Manni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm I tried the new CME but for some reason, while it launches on my laptop, it refuses to launch on my HTPC.

Some things to check:
  • If CMC is already running, it won't run a second instance. Double-check and make sure there isn't already a copy of CMC running. Worst case, try a fresh reboot just to be sure.
  • Delete all of the CMC_MovieDB.* and CMC_MusicDB.* and CMC_SmartSync.bin files in the CMC folder and try running CMC again
If you're still having trouble after all that, let me know and we'll try some more stuff.

Manni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm I had lots of problems to get CMC to not be deleted by Norton

You're not alone in your Norton battles. Jamie has also fought these fights. I think he said a few days ago he finally gave up on Norton. In the past I recall that Norton had sometimes zeroed out the CMC.exe file - make sure it is around 14,768 KB for beta 12.

Manni

Post by Manni » Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 pm

It's the old CME that was already loaded and prevented to launch the new one, thanks. :)

It's too late tonight, I'll try TV episodes export tomorrow, when I've received my license info (I've only received a payment confirmation, but still no license).

jRiver is far too complex to cover quickly, there are lots of options. If I ever have a bit of spare time once CMC is fully set-up, I'll see what I can do but unfortunately I can't at the moment. There is a wiki though and the forums are a good source of info/support. However I'll ask when I have a chance in the jRiver forum if we could get a start-up option to fully exit jRiver after playback ends or is stopped.

I own/use V25 as well. Maybe I have it set up to return to standard view, which is why I have to ALT-4 twice. Or maybe it's because I'm set to startup in theatre View, not Standard View. I'll double check to see if I can set it up so that only one ALT-F4 is needed. It must be possible if it works that way for you.

Norton is fine, you just have to restore the file and then exclude the folder from further scans. It would help if you applied to get whitelisted. I think there is a central registration service that vets you for all the AV publishers.

I'll report back when I've received my license and can do more tests with the whole database.

Manni

Post by Manni » Fri May 31, 2019 6:37 pm

EDIT: just got my license key, it arrived while I was typing... :)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri May 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Glad it was just another copy running. CMC is supposed to see that it is already running, bring the running instance to the foreground, then close itself out. I can get it to work that way sometimes, though most of the time it just closes and behaves the way you described. I've got to work on this in the future and make it better.

I just resent your key to you. Often the license key emails get blocked by mail servers when they originate directly from my web server.

In the CMC command to launch JRiver, I'm setting it to Theater mode (/Mode Theater). Not really sure it that command is working or doing anything regarding the mode because I'm bundling it with the command to start playback, I got the impression it didn't do much of anything. I might need to make those two separate calls. I haven't played with JRiver enough to visually recognize Theater vs. Standard view, but to my eyes what I saw looked pretty 'standardish'.

Definitely check your JRiver settings, as out of the box it closes pretty easily.

Manni

Post by Manni » Fri May 31, 2019 6:49 pm

It looks like there is a limitation to seven shares to scan... I need more :)

Manni

Post by Manni » Fri May 31, 2019 6:53 pm

I need to stop testing because it's getting late here but after importing seven shares with UHD Blurays, Blurays, DVDs and files (around 700 titles out of my 3200+) jRiver stopped being called when pressing play, even for titles that used to work fine. It might work again tomorrow after a reboot.

Small request: could we have an option to have the default be "play" when we select a title, so that we can simply press OK/OK twice to get a film to play? That's the default in MyMovies and it makes sense to me, given that it's the action I'm most likely to perform once I've selected a title.