Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Lot of ideas for future versions] Limiting export to some shares

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Pauven

Re: Limiting export to some shares

Post by Pauven » Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 pm

You can certainly have more than 7 scanned folders. There's no actual limit, though the GUI only displays the first 7 or 8 folders. Worst case, you can manually edit the CMC.cfg file to add more. WARNING: If you manually add/edit folders in CMC.cfg, please be sure to add the trailing backslash. For example, "\\Server\Movies" is bad, "\\Server\Movies\" is good.

If you are using a remote, you can press the Play button from the cover rows screen, reducing the two button presses down to one.

Let me know what you find on JRiver.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 pm

Okay, I played with Jriver on my HTPC. I did get bluray menus to work. The remote responded well. The picture is as good as powerdvd. I do think I might like the dvdFab player better. I had to play with the sound to get Dolby 5.1 to work. I was shocked that Jriver does not allow for Dolby 7.1, or better, or even DTS. Manni am I missing something here?

I will have to do more research.

Jamie

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri May 31, 2019 11:58 pm

okay, I turned on bitstreaming through the HDMI port in order to push the audio directly to the receiver

Manni

Post by Manni » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:33 am

Jamie, the picture is much much better in jRiver than with PowerDVD or DVD Fab (neither of which support UHD BD Menus without a protected path) if you use madVR (that’s the whole point). NGU upscaling, 3D LUT calibration, the best dynamic HDR tonemapping available, madVR provides better quality for HTPC content than a $5,000 Radiance Pro. PowerDVD and DVDFab player are light years behind. Even MPC-HC or MPC-BE offer much better PQ once they are set to use madVR as a renderer.

You just need to spend the time to do a bit of research (again, there is a good wiki for jRiver and the forums are reactive, with the main developpers replying). There is a dedicated thread for madVR on doom9 where you can ask questions that are not specific to jRiver. In jRiver, you need to install the Red October HQ settings for best picture quality, and of course bitstream for audio if you want immersive sound (Atmos/DTS:X/Auro 3D). There are ways to get much better picture quality especially for HDR, unfortunately it’s experimental now, so I suggest you wait until the next public release of madVR, which will be automatically pushed by jRiver when it’s stable.

Anyway, that’s pretty much off topic here as it’s not related to CMC support. :)

Manni

Post by Manni » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am

OK, I've done more tests with jRiver.

Everything is fine if you do ALT-F4 with the keyboard. Exits right away, then you can play again the same or another title.

If, however, you press stop on the MCE remote (or in iRule) and then press ALT-F4 to exit jRiver, there is some part of the software that is still in memory and prevents a second launch, so jRiver in that case only works once per session. Once I found a jRiver Media Center 25 in the task manager, and after killing the task it worked fine. But a few other times there was no visible task to kill. I had to log off to get the functionality back again.

That's kind of a problem because it means you can't use the remote to stop the film. I'll try to see if I can send ALT-F4 instead or before stop with iRule, hopefully it will resolve the issue when using the iPad, but it won't help when using my Denon universal remote (which I use most of the time and the only thing that the family understands).

Regarding scanning offline shares, smart sync hangs on the offline shares for 10-15 secs, but doesn't delete the offline titles. I've disabled the auto sync on startup, so I'll only do a sync manually when needed, unless you can find a way to skip offline shares faster.

Regarding defaulting on "play" and not on "details", it's great that you can play from the movie wall, but I usually do want to see details (especially aspect ratio, which, by the way, isn't displayed, please could we have this?) before starting a film. I need this to know which mask I'm going to use on my 16/9 projection screen. Defaulting on Details doesn't give much because we're already on details... I understand that this is the first option of your menu, so it makes sense if people actually look for a synopsis etc after seeing the details. I would still ask for an option to default on play when displaying the details. :)

Here are the technical details available in MyMovies (lower right of the screen), it would be great if we could have these displayed too as they are extremely useful:
Technical details MM.JPG
Technical details MM.JPG (724.46 KiB) Viewed 39125 times
I notice that there is some room above and below the rating on the bottom part of the movie wall, if you could display some of this technical info (for example video format / aspect ratio) that would be very useful too.

Talking about details, I tried to disable the details appearing after 5secs without action, but the option is not accessible in the settings. Is this a bug?

I would also like to disable the screen saver (my projector doesn't have screen retention issues) but that option isn't available. Could we have a "disabled" option for the screen saver?

I'll try TV Series episodes later, I had to do some clean-up first but I have little time at the moment.
Last edited by Manni on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:33 am Anyway, that’s pretty much off topic here as it’s not related to CMC support. :)

Anything HTPC related is always welcome here. :D And now that CMC supports JRiver as a player, sharing how to get the best out of JRiver would benefit us all.

Though the Tips & Tricks forum is a better location for this discussion...

Manni

Post by Manni » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:57 am

Pauven wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am
Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:33 am Anyway, that’s pretty much off topic here as it’s not related to CMC support. :)

Anything HTPC related is always welcome here. :D And now that CMC supports JRiver as a player, sharing how to get the best out of JRiver would benefit us all.

Though the Tips & Tricks forum is a better location for this discussion...
That's what I meant, I meant in this thread. :)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am Everything is fine if you do ALT-F4 with the keyboard. Exits right away, then you can play again the same or another title.

That's kind of a problem because it means you can't use the remote to stop the film.

Perhaps you missed that I have provided a built-in MCE remote programmer, and one of the buttons it can program is to send an Alt+F4. JRiver should have no clue that the Alt+F4 originated from a button press vs. a keyboard.

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am Regarding scanning offline shares, smart sync hangs on the offline shares for 10-15 secs, but doesn't delete the offline titles. I've disabled the auto sync on startup, so I'll only do a sync manually when needed, unless you can find a way to skip offline shares faster.

Wow, that's actually worlds better than I anticipated. I was expecting full-blow errors and the sync to abort. I'll poke around the code to see if I can find a way to prevent the delay. I think it might be related to a function I added for Jamie that identifies when a share is inaccessible, and attempts to wake it up before proceeding...

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am I usually do want to see details (especially aspect ratio, which, by the way, isn't displayed, please could we have this?) before starting a film.

The video and audio details have been on my to-do list for a while, and I came close to doing them a couple versions back. I did some research to determine how many audio formats existed, and was shocked to discover well over fifty. I dread making 50+ graphics, and it's occurred to me that instead of creating graphics I should create a routine that creates graphics on the fly. It's one of those things that I have ideas floating around in my head on how to handle this, but still need to sit down and stare at the problem for a bit and decide what kind of solution I want to do.

So, maybe next version. Maybe.

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am Talking about details, I tried to disable the details appearing after 5secs without action, but the option is not accessible in the settings. Is this a bug?

I don't think it's a bug, probably just not what you were expecting. You can always crank the number up really high (i.e. 999) to effectively disable it. You can also press Back/Backspace to dismiss the pop-up, which temporarily disables it until you move again.

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am I would also like to disable the screen saver (my projector doesn't have screen retention issues) but that option isn't available. Could we have a "disabled" option for the screen saver?

No, very sorry, but I will not be adding a disable option. We live in a litigious society, and here in America we can and are sued for near anything and everything. If I provide an off switch, and someone gets burn-in on their $8k OLED TV, they could sue me and probably even win (because here in America we aren't held accountable for self-inflicted damage, everyone else is at fault).

All that said, I will add that if the "ScreensaverDelay=" parameter was changed to a non-standard value, CMC will accept it. Hint-hint.

Manni

Post by Manni » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:27 am

Pauven wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am Perhaps you missed that I have provided a built-in MCE remote programmer, and one of the buttons it can program is to send an Alt+F4. JRiver should have no clue that the Alt+F4 originated from a button press vs. a keyboard.
I didn't miss it, I tried to program red that way on my MCE remote, but it didn't work. I didn't mention this because I never use my MCE remote. I use my Denon Universal remote and iRule.

I'll ask the jRiver folks if they can add a startup paramter that guarantees a clean exit after playback/stop.
Pauven wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am Wow, that's actually worlds better than I anticipated. I was expecting full-blow errors and the sync to abort. I'll poke around the code to see if I can find a way to prevent the delay. I think it might be related to a function I added for Jamie that identifies when a share is inaccessible, and attempts to wake it up before proceeding...
Pauven wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am The video and audio details have been on my to-do list for a while, and I came close to doing them a couple versions back. I did some research to determine how many audio formats existed, and was shocked to discover well over fifty. I dread making 50+ graphics, and it's occurred to me that instead of creating graphics I should create a routine that creates graphics on the fly. It's one of those things that I have ideas floating around in my head on how to handle this, but still need to sit down and stare at the problem for a bit and decide what kind of solution I want to do.

So, maybe next version. Maybe.
Yes, that's why I didn't mention the audio details, only video format/quality (even just SD/HD/HDR would be useful) and aspect ratio.
Pauven wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am I don't think it's a bug, probably just not what you were expecting. You can always crank the number up really high (i.e. 999) to effectively disable it. You can also press Back/Backspace to dismiss the pop-up, which temporarily disables it until you move again.
Have you tried the option? It's not accessible. It's locked on 5s. I was only expecting to be able to change it, but it's skipped in the settings when you navigate the options. It goes directly from "assign background" to "Movie Screensaver".
Pauven wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am No, very sorry, but I will not be adding a disable option. We live in a litigious society, and here in America we can and are sued for near anything and everything. If I provide an off switch, and someone gets burn-in on their $8k OLED TV, they could sue me and probably even win (because here in America we aren't held accountable for self-inflicted damage, everyone else is at fault).

All that said, I will add that if the "ScreensaverDelay=" parameter was changed to a non-standard value, CMC will accept it. Hint-hint.
I fully understand, and changing the parameter in cmc.cfg is a perfectly acceptable compromise :).

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:45 am

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:27 am I didn't miss it, I tried to program red that way on my MCE remote, but it didn't work. I didn't mention this because I never use my MCE remote. I use my Denon Universal remote and iRule.

You'll have to run CMC as Administrator to give it enough privileges to update the registry with the new config, and you'll have to reboot Windows after updating the registry.

Manni wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:27 am Have you tried the option? It's not accessible. It's locked on 5s. I was only expecting to be able to change it, but it's skipped in the settings when you navigate the options. It goes directly from "assign background" to "Movie Screensaver".

And so it does! That's a bug, good catch. I've been doing more mouse-based testing, and you can click it directly with a mouse and set it.