Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[CLOSED] CME is freezing at various points since this new release

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Jamie

[CLOSED] CME is freezing at various points since this new release

Post by Jamie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi Paul,

I successfully removed all the xml files from my drobos but when I run the export to overwrite all my jpg and xml files the CME freezes up at different points in my collection. I haven't had an issue prior to this last release and it seems as though it freezes when trying to write the jpg files. I have tried this several times.

attach is a screenshot and my log.

Jamie

CMC Metadata Exporter.7z
(99.43 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

Pauven

Re: CME is freezing at various points since this new release

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am

First, I'll say I saw the exact same behavior myself just before releasing the latest version. While I really don't think I made any change that could cause this issue, I can't rule it out. Now that you've seen it too, it makes me wonder.

What I think is happening: The freeze is while CME is asking the API for data, and waiting on the response. These API calls are synchronous, which basically means that CME sits there, twiddling its thumbs waiting on the API to respond, and the CME GUI becomes unresponsive because it's waiting on that response and refusing to do anything else.

The likely culprit: The My Movies API responding slower to artwork requests. If true, this is really disappointing, as responding with artwork was the one thing the API did really really really fast.

A secondary possibility: The folder.jpg resizing code. When I noticed the slowdown, it was primarily only for the folder.jpg image. That image is created on the fly by asking the API for the full-size cover, then using a high-quality image scaler, and finally saving the output to a compressed jpg. I don't think this is the issue, as this code should be very fast, and hasn't been touched in a long time.

Testing/Troubleshooting Ideas (test in this order):
  • Download an older copy of CME and see if the problem goes away. RC26 should be good for this: CME RC26
  • Reboot the PC that is running MMCM. The idea here is that MM has been up for too long, and is now running slower. Possibly excessive memory usage by MS SQL Server - one of the reasons I feel this DB is a poor choice running on average home PC's.
I'll do the same and see what happens on my end.

If anyone else has noticed this behavior, please respond here.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 am

Jamie, I deleted the screenshot because your other browser tab showed too much personal info.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 am

Pauven wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am
  • Download an older copy of CME and see if the problem goes away. RC26 should be good for this: CME RC26
  • Reboot the PC that is running MMCM. The idea here is that MM has been up for too long, and is now running slower. Possibly excessive memory usage by MS SQL Server - one of the reasons I feel this DB is a poor choice running on average home PC's.
I'll do the same and see what happens on my end.

If anyone else has noticed this behavior, please respond here.
Hi Paul,

I left the newest CME to run overnight and it completed successfully. It took 2 1/2 hours to run according to the log. Maybe we just have to wait for it to respond? I will do the above steps today in order to see what happens. It could be so many things like MM not reporting back quick enough. This is the the first time that I ran the CME with MM 5,25 prerelease 2. My drobos could be unresponsive at various times.......

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 am

Pauven wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 am Jamie, I deleted the screenshot because your other browser tab showed too much personal info.
Thanks

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi Paul,

I ran R26 and the latest install version today and they both ran fine. The difference from yesterday and today is that today, I didn't clean up all my xml and jpg files before running the export. I chose to overwrite the files today. I will cleanup the files again and run the latest CME one final time to see if there is some temporary 10 - 15 minute lags which I saw yesterday.

Jamie

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Okay, I cleanedup all my data as I did yesterday and everything ran fine. I chalk this to a possible drive issue on one of my drobos. I am decommissioning the drobos soon in favor of unraid, so hopefully these occasional freeze problems with stop happening.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:27 pm

I've seen this behavior randomly a few times. Each time I've been able to resolve it by rebooting my 'My Movies' PC. Seems to be some kind of API performance issue, and not caused by CME.

I'm going to close this ticket.

Jamie

Re: [CLOSED] CME is freezing at various points since this new release

Post by Jamie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Paul

I haven't seen this issue in a month.