Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[RESOLVED] CME export fails

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Teddyboy

[RESOLVED] CME export fails

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi Paul,
I’m running CME on my local host which is my server. I tried using the API key and my username and password to access the api. CME COMES back with the error message API connection failed. MyMovies Collection management has no issue as my user name and password works with it. Doesn’t matter if I run a test or a actual export. I haven’t set up CMC on my htpc yet, but I was about to after I exported from MyMovies. I’ve tried localhost and 127.0.0.1. MyMovies is running on a server essentials 2016 server. There nothing in the debug log. The exporter goes unresponsive for a few seconds as it attempts to log in to the web service. I don’t know what else I can do.
Last edited by Teddyboy on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Jamie

Re: CME export fails

Post by Jamie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:11 pm I tried using the API key and my username and password to access the api.
This is just a guess, but are you using all three? API Key, username, and pw? I just use the username and password and the exporter runs fine. I always had issues with my API Key.

For the url I use just localhost running the exporter on the PC running Mymovies CM. My urls are something like 192.168.1.35. You need the url of the server where your Mymovies CM is based. use ipconfig/all in the cmd prompt. Look for IPv4 Address.

If this is not the problem, Paul will be around to help. He is generally very quick to respond

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Jamie,
I used the api key first then when that didn’t work. I used my username and password to login. Never both of them at the same time. I double checked my spelling, and the api key and my username and password are correct. I tried using ‘localhost’ and my servers ip address. I still get the same error. I followed Paul’s instructions, so I’m positive it’s set up correctly.

All I want to do is get CMC synced to my collection, so I can start using it. I’m so close to getting this all working. Thanks for your suggestions Jamie. 😁
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:41 pm

okay I notice that you are using a windows server essentials OS rather than an ordinary windows server, or desktop OS. I have no experience with that type of setup. What puzzles me is the IP. It looks like a internet address and not a local LAN. Hopefully Paul can decipher what is happening.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:10 pm

For all intents and purposes it is a ordinary windows server OS. It just has a dashboard. I just now added the export tool to the windows firewall safe list of apps that can communicate through the domain and private networks. It still is not able to communicate with the web service. I haven’t published any in address my posts (everything is local), so I’m not sure what you mean by that.
The tool never asked me for any key, so I don’t think that could be the problem.

I think what I will do now is try to run the export tool from my workstation pc instead of running it from my server and see how that performs. To be continued. :)

Okay I just tried accessing the api using the tool from another pc. I still get the same error. I’m done messing with it. Hopefully Paul can help me figure it out.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Hey Teddyboy, sorry for the slow response. I normally get emails when users post on the forum, but it seems I forgot to subscribe to this new CME support area, so I didn't get notified. My bad.

Just to make sure, you followed this?: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=171

And the most relevant section I'm wondering about is this:
Enabling the My Movies API
For CME to use the My Movies API, the API must first be enabled. In My Movies Collection Management, go to Tools > Settings > Remote Control Server. There you need to enable "Allow connections from remote control devices". You can also take note of the API Key shown here.

Everything else you did sounds right (localhost or 127.0.0.1, API Key or Username & Password). If the above doesn't work, please post the API response you get - there might be a clue there.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Paul,
The box is checked to allow remote connections from remote control devices. When I run the exporter either as a test run or actual run, what comes back is ‘API Connection Failed at 7/29/2019 7:41:38AM’. When I look at the error report, it’s blank below the time stamp for each run. The report gives no indication of any errors.

I followed the instruction at the link you provided in your last post. I double checked the setup and it’s correct.
I even added the tool to the firewall safe list so it wouldn’t have a issue communicating. It’s allowed to communicate on the domain and private networks. That didn’t help either.
Efrain

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 am

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am API Connection Failed at 7/29/2019 7:41:38AM

I believe that is CME's way of saying that the API Service isn't running or reachable. That is not a response from the My Movies API.

I believe the API service is embedded in the MMCM tray icon. Please make sure that MMCM is up and running, and the icon is in the tray.

Though I think it is unrelated, it might also be a good idea to make sure that the Windows Service "My Movies General Service" is running too.

You can try opening this URL in a browser window on your server. Change the APIKey value to your API Key.

Code: Select all

http://localhost:51414/?command=GetTitleList&SortBy=ID&FieldList="ID,LocalTitle,"&APIKey=abcde
With the URL you are directly accessing the API, and any response you get will be from My Movies, removing CME as a variable.

Also note the port # in the URL above, 51414. While typically this wouldn't be blocked for local connections, you may want to double-check and make sure it isn't blocked.

Let me know.

Paul

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:15 pm

The MMCM icon is not running in the tray, but the MyMovies general service is running. Collection management is running, and every time I bring it up it’s always logged into my account. When I installed it I ran it to set it up and log into my account. It’s accessing the web service because I sync’d my collection from my online collection. It appears to be working. I don’t know why the icon does not appear in the tray.

My intention is not to maintain my collection directly on the server. It’s just a repository for the database to allow centralized syncing for CMC. Most of my maintenance/management will be done on my PC or laptop. I installed MM as a client on my PC. It points to the server and can access my movie collection. No problems logging into the web service. The MMCM icon is present in the tray on my PC. I still get the same exact exact error when I run the export tool on my PC as I do on my server. On my PC the tool points to my server by IP address. I also tried using my servers name. I still get the same error.

I’m at work right now, so I’ll try what you suggested when I get home later today.

Efrain

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:15 pm The MMCM icon is not running in the tray, but the MyMovies general service is running.

I wonder if this is because you are running Server Essentials. I'm guessing you are running Binnerup's 'My Movies Home and Essentials Server Solution' version of My Movies, and not the regular Windows version. Perhaps it doesn't include the API.

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:15 pm I installed MM as a client on my PC. It points to the server and can access my movie collection. No problems logging into the web service. The MMCM icon is present in the tray on my PC.

Then you should be able to run CME on this PC, pointing at localhost (since that is where the MM tray icon lives), and not the IP address of the server.

Paul