Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[RESOLVED] CME Fails to connector API

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Teddyboy

[RESOLVED] CME Fails to connector API

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:17 am

User configuration error. I forgot that since I run on a domain. After a bare-metal server restore from a backup, I have to point CME to localhost where My Movies Collection Management runs with the MM tray app so it will function. My Movies Server Essentials does not have the MM Tray app, so CME can’t access the database directly on the server.

I ripped a disc to my server so I could watch it on my htpc tonight. When I went to export it to sync to CMC it failed to connect to the API. Over the weekend I had to restore the server from a backup and restore the my movies database. MMCM shows my collection on my PC and is communicating with the database. The MM tray app is running. My password is correct. I tried connecting with the servers IP address, and I still get the same error. I rebooted the server and my PC with no change. I even replaced CME with a fresh copy of the same version. No change. The export log doesn't really say anything other then it fails to communicate. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to watch Godzilla tonight, and now I can't. Any ideas?
Last edited by Teddyboy on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: CME Fails to connector API

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:41 am

Follow all the steps in the Initial CME Setup post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=171

Most likely restoring from backup undid one of those steps. Possibly disabling the API. Or perhaps the API Key changed.

You can follow all the troubleshooting steps we did last time in the post right below this one, including testing the API directly (remember to replace the API key):

Code: Select all

http://localhost:51414/?command=GetTitleList&SortBy=ID&FieldList="ID,LocalTitle,"&APIKey=abcde
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 am

Hi Paul,

At first the key did not work, then I refreshed the key to get a different one and now it works through my web browser. So now we know that access to my data base is open. I got a full list of my collection including the one that I added last night "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" at the end of the list.

I tried the same thing through CME, and it still gives me the api connection failed error. I tried full export, changes only, and typing in the title with the same result. Again I tried using the refreshed api key in CME first, then my username and password, and it still would not connect to the database.

The CME version I'm using is 1.0.2019.0630. I went over the setup steps, and CME looks like it's set up correctly.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am

Did you try your CM username and pw to see whether that works

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 pm

Please post the exact output you are getting in CME.

Also, are you connecting to localhost, or another server?

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Paul I think you might have addressed my issue. When I copied the url and used the key it was too local host (my workstation) where the MM tray resides. I think if I point CME to the local host the request should go through. Because I use MM Server Essentials there is no MM Tray app running on my server, so CMEs api service request to my server fails. I didn’t get around to trying this because I ran out of time this morning. I’m at work right now so I’m unable to test, but I think this is the culprit. That really has to be it. I run on a domain, and everything is centralized.

Side Note: I’m even going to implement some group policy as I’m about to replace the termserv.dll on my htpc so I can have concurrent connections. The group policy will replace the dll if it ever gets replace during a windows update.

Thoughts?

Really sorry Paul I was pressed for time this morning and if I would have tried it on local host it would probably go through. I didn’t mean to waste your time.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:02 pm

So I'm a bit confused how you got to this point.

I recall that we had already established that My Movies for Windows Server Essentials doesn't have the tray icon, which is where the API lives, and you have to run CME on (or pointing to) a PC with the regular Windows version of My Movies running with the tray icon. So all that was figured out and working fine for you. I'm assuming that means you were already running CME on your Workstation using localhost.

But then you restored your server, and somehow that broke everything. But by generating a new My Movies API Key, you got the API working again when accessed directly from URL, but for some reason CME on the Workstation still wasn't working.

I'm guessing that in your troubleshooting, perhaps you repointed CME from localhost to your server? And then forgot to switch it back?

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Correct. Congratulations! You win the stuffed animal!

Yes we did go through all that, but I was so caught up dealing with my server getting all that squared away. I totally forgot that’s what I did and it worked ever since before my server got borked by a windows update. It was a learning experience with my server. I actually learned some things even though it was at times frustrating.

We're good Paul. I put in localhost and it worked.