Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

What is Unraid and how to build an Unraid media server

Show off your HTPC builds, NAS Servers, and any other hardware. Great place to ask for hardware help too.
Pauven

Re: What is Unraid and how to build an Unraid media server

Post by Pauven » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Jamie wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:49 pm You might be able to use midnight Commander.

Midnight Commander comes with Unraid, it is a Linux tool. From the command line you enter 'mc' to start it. You would need to use Unassigned Devices to mount your FlexRAID share as a local disk to allow Midnight Commander to reach it.

Going from memory, I think Midnight Commander works like Krusader/Dolphin, but I'm not sure it's been a long while.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Pauven wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:39 pm
Regarding Windows file Explorer, I don't know how it does the copy - I've never tested to see if it creates all the directories and then copies data, like Krusader/Dolphin, or if it creates directories & copies one-by-one. Even though Jamie used a Windows PC and Windows Explorer to migrate his data from his Drobo's to Unraid, I think he still had to make sure he didn't copy too much data at once, so my guess would be that Windows Explorer acts like Krusader/Dolphin and has the same issue. But I really don't know, so I guess you could try.
Windows File Explorer does a sequential read and write. I did the 2 -3 TB copies at a time, not because of windows explorer, but because my house not only has lightning issues, but dirty power too. I was afraid that during a 15 TB copy that the power would fail and I would have to figure out which file was copying when the power failed. So I chose smaller chunks until I realized that unraid was doing well
Last edited by Jamie on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Litlgi74

Post by Litlgi74 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Well... I've never used MC... And until a moment ago... I never heard of it.

I doesn't look to difficult... so I started copying my BluRay folder on my first FlexRAID drive to the my BluRay share...

We may have a winner... So far it appears to be working to my purpose... The first folder (movie) in the BluRay folder is 12 Monkeys... And that is the only folder (plus it's subfolders) that is being copied to the BluRay share. So it appears it creates directories & copies one-by-one.

I'll play with it more tomorrow... I work nights and have to get ready for work... As long as I can figure out how to select more than one folder to be copied... This just might work.

Fingers crossed.
John

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:30 am

Sounds promising, fingers crossed! Sorry I didn't mention MC before, I really didn't think it would work. Good call Jamie.

Here's a tip: even though MC has a DOS like interface, it does work with a mouse!

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:37 pm

I just realize the I keep saying that I used Windows Explorer when I meant windows file explorer. I just seem to jumble words in my head lately. Part of growing old I guess.

Jamie

Litlgi74

Post by Litlgi74 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:51 pm

Hello Paul and Jamie...

Thanks so much for all of your help... Midnight Commander seems to be doing exactly what I need.

I'll touch base again as I get further towards completion.

John

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:56 pm

That's great! I was wondering. What transfer rates are you getting?

Litlgi74

Post by Litlgi74 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Speeds seem to top out at 165MB/s... But usually hover around 110MB/s.
Last edited by Litlgi74 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:29 pm

Sounds like your max speed constraint is gigabit network speeds.

Litlgi74

Post by Litlgi74 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:39 pm

Which is interesting... Considering I am transferring from drive to drive... Locally... I think. :/