Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Htpc upgrade

Show off your HTPC builds, NAS Servers, and any other hardware. Great place to ask for hardware help too.
Pauven

Re: Htpc upgrade

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 am

Teddyboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 am Do you have any suggestions for a internal slot loading Blu-ray/UHD drive?

No, sorry, I haven't look at slot loaders in over a decade, so I don't have any specific recommendations. My main advice would be that some drives are 4K+foxy friendly (may require reflashing to a legacy bios), and that is something you'll want on an AMD platform. You need to do some research to see what your options are for UHD drives (models + firmware that are foxy UHD friendly) and find the equivalent in a slot loader. That may be a challenge, but hopefully you will find something.

Just google terms for UHD friendly drives (I think that was the term, Jamie please correct me if I'm wrong).

Do your research now, since playing UHD is something you want, and you're also choosing an AMD platform that doesn't support the Intel protections for 4K discs. Worst case might be that there are no slot-loaders that are 'friendly', which would derail your plan.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 am

I found one. BU40N It’s a lg drive the is UHD friendly. It’s tray not slot load as those just don’t exist yet. Started searching and came up with a list from DVDFab. Searched on the makemkv forum and there is a person that sells UHD friendly drives with proper firmware. I’m going to email him and see what the cost would be. It’s not slot load but at least it’s a slimline drive in a external case. That should work fine with the little red fox.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am

Sounds good. I thought slot-load was a hard requirement, didn't realize you were willing to do an external unit.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 am

Pauven wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am Sounds good. I thought slot-load was a hard requirement, didn't realize you were willing to do an external unit.
Now that the reality has set in that UHD slot load drives don’t exist in the wild just yet. This is a decent compromise. I can leave it always plugged in, or attach it when I want to watch a movie on disc because sometimes I get impatient with the ripping process.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:38 pm

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger Paul. This money is burning a hole in my pocket. I’m going to go with what you suggested. It looks like a really solid platform from all the reading I’ve been doing.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 pm

I look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:49 pm

Paul I went on a little shopping trip to Newegg and today.

First on the list is a itx motherboard.
ASRock Z590M-ITX/AX LGA 1200
This board supports 10th generation and the soon to be released 11 generation cpus. Wasn’t terribly expensive and it has integrated WiFi.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131579 ... 6813157993

OLOy 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) 16GB
https://www.newegg.com/oloy-8gb-288-pi ... 6820821324
$275.81 for the motherboard and memory.

Intel Core i3-10100 Comet Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 65W $123.90
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-1 ... 6819118138

Went for the cheap memory because it’s a htpc, so I don’t need top of the line. This is the minimum for 11th gen cpus.
I bought the 10th gen now because I want to get up and running. I can get a new cpu later and then sell the i3. I still need to get a SSD, but I have a small 64 gb in my clarkdale itx platform now. I can use that or go get one locally. Not much is on it except for windows, jriver and MPC-be players.

My old board is having problems sleeping, and it’s acting a little flaky, so I decided it’s time.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:11 pm

LOL, I picked the exact same i3-10100. Partly because it was so cheap, but also because it has essentially the same graphics horsepower as their top-end chips.

I messed up though, and bought a B450 motherboard that won't support the new 11th gen chips... Glad you did better.

I love the feeling of receiving components from Newegg. It's always exciting to put together, just like model cars when I was a kid. :D

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 pm

The nice thing about Newegg is that it’s up in LA. City of Industry to be exact. I’ll get it the next day if I make it before the cutoff. Getting stuff from Newegg is like opening up presents on Christmas morning. I have all the parts, so I might put it together this weekend, or I might wait until I have the IR mod done to the front plate and get the new right side panel with the new usb c port. I’m thinking of cheating and cloning the drive to the new drive and just slapping it into the new board and let windows sort it out.

I’m really liking this new board. It should work well with madvr/mpc-be for upscaling dvds to at least 1080p for now. I need to contact Larry about a spare plate and right side panel.

Efrain

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 pm

I’ve been emailing Larry over at HDPlex. He can sell me a face plate for $20 plus shipping. The right side panel has changed. It’s slightly longer then the version I have which makes it not a drop in replacement. He doesn’t have any returns or refurbished stock that he could sell me. I’d need a left and right side along with top and bottom panels. That would cost me $120 plus shipping. It’s still cheaper then the cost of buying a whole new chassis. I don’t need it to go forward with my new build, so I’ll keep it in the back of my mind for now.
I may just take apart my htpc and measure the parts and put the whole thing into Solidworks for future reference. There are not that many pieces. I did that for another case about a year ago because I wanted to customize it. Caselabs is no longer around so I reverse engineered it.
I’m going to concentrate on the front face plate to get a pocket designed so it fits into the case. I’ll post some pics once I figure out placement.
Efrain