Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

MPC-BE and Picking correct movie to play

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Teddyboy

MPC-BE and Picking correct movie to play

Post by Teddyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi Paul,

As I mentioned in another post. I'm simplifying my HTPC setup. I've decided to use MPC-BE for all playback except for physical discs. That will be for Jrivers player to handle. MPC is usually pretty good about picking the correct stream to play on a blu-but it does miss occasionally. I wanted to watch Bambi last night, and it kept picking the one with commentary with the movie shown as an inset to the background. I was thinking that maybe through MMCM I could tell it which stream to play and export it to through CME and CMC would pick that up and pass that on to the player? Would that be possible in a future revision of the software? I know its possible to pick either extended or original cuts of a movie if the disc offers that like it My Movies for WMC, but CMC doesn't offer that right now.

:)
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: MPC-BE and Picking correct movie to play

Post by Pauven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Yes, that is already on my to-do list. That's a feature I only learned about recently. It does require MMCM configuration of the title for playback.

There are some challenges with implementing this feature. Lots of research, development and testing to do. And it may only work with a subset of players. It's too early to make any promises, other than I will be working on it.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Some players just don’t like to be told where to start playing. It’s not that they will never be able to do that. it’s the developers never thought that something like that would be useful. MPC doesn’t appear to have a problem starting on a title, mpls or chapter. I know it’s going to take some work on your part. Maybe you should consider limiting the players CMC will use to keep down support issues. Some won’t like that, but to keep it as seem-less as possible it might be best since cmc doesn’t have a integrated player, and player integration my not ever happen for cmc.

Thanks Paul!
Appreciate your efforts!
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:39 pm

I don't want to limit players, as soon as I take something away someone will ask for it back.

I do have plans to further refine disc/player relationships, since not everything is a valid combination. For example, I want to take PowerDVD out of the list of DVD Episode players.

It seems I need to handle the scenario you have described, playing a title/chapter directly on a non-episodic disc, and limit this to capable players as well.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Yeah I get that Paul, and no matter how explicit you are in specifying what players are capable of supporting this feature, someone will ask why player xyz that they use for playback isn supported. ;)

This would really be a good feature to have Paul. I hope your able to make it happen. You’re the only one that is really leveraging My Movies metadata to this extent and it’s great.

Side note: I’ve adjusted the remote to better accept commands from MPC-BE. It’s better now which is why I’m going to use it solely for playback within cmc. Aside from what we’ve been discussing it’s for the most part able to direct play main titles without assistance. Adding this feature would make it much smoother.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:47 am

Teddyboy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:07 pm Side note: I’ve adjusted the remote to better accept commands from MPC-BE. It’s better now which is why I’m going to use it solely for playback within cmc.

I wrote an MPC Optimization Tutorial a while back, here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=197

It has a placeholder for the Key Mappings, and I've been meaning to go back and update it with what I've done. I think it would be great if you would reply to that topic and post what you've done. You may have come up with some different solutions.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:59 pm

I will do that. I only changed a few key mappings to apply to the remote but it was enough to make it more usable. Sometimes subtitles appear when I start a movie so I had to map that to a button on the remote to turn them on/off.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:57 pm

You probably already know this, but I find in MPC that it is very helpful to change the Subtitle options to "Forced Only", unless you are watching a foreign film. Forced only will only show the foreign language subtitles when you are watching a primarily English film, for example. Works great in Game of Thrones to only show subtitles for Dothraki.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Yeah I know about forced subtitles, but I wanted the ability to switch them on or off at will. I’m still playing with it.