Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Resolved] CMC won't launch from green or any other button

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Jamie

Re: CMC won't launch from green or any other button

Post by Jamie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Pauven wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:35 pm Corrected:

The first thing I do is right click to run CMC as a administrator. I go in and make my adjustments, save, then update registry, and then reboot.
That's exactly how successfully updated the CMC remote settings. I went into CMC as an administrator. Made my adjustments. Saved the changes. The save takes you out of settings, so I went back into the settings and updated the registry. Then I rebooted.

Paul,

Any way to fix the remotes settings to save the new settings and automatically update the registry in one click? I think that would help a lot.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 am

Wait! What! I assumed that all I had to do was run it as a administrator, make my button selections, save which I thought was enough to save the changes to the registry, and then reboot to make them stick. I’m confused. Please clarify.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 am

image.png
image.png (331.37 KiB) Viewed 8679 times

Steps 2 & 3 are optional if you have previously configured/saved the button config you want. Steps 1, 4, and 5 are required to push the config into the Windows Registry and have Windows adopt the changes.

In a few months, when a Windows update resets the registry, just do steps 1, 4, and 5 to get back to a working remote config.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 am

I've created a new tutorial post on how to program MCE remote buttons. I put 2 copies of the post on the forum, one in the Tutorials section (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=248) and the other in the Tips & Tricks.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks Paul, but that’s a step that can easily be missed. It’s just text. When it displayed that I thought I just had to save and reboot. I didn’t know that I had to pick it in order to save it to the registry. It needs to be a button that I need to click on in order to apply the button configurations to the registry.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:19 am

Teddyboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:10 am It needs to be a button that I need to click on in order to apply the button configurations to the registry.

Uhhhmmmm… it is a button that you need to click on in order to apply the button configurations to the registry. But I think I get your point, it wasn't obviously a button to you.

Here's a tip, when on the Settings screen, with two exceptions, everything is a button. The two exceptions? The CMC version info in the top left corner, and the help window in the bottom right. Everything else on the Settings screen is a button.

I'll work on making the MCE Remote Configuration process better in the next version.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Okay! It worked! Finally done with all that drama. Lol. It’s not obvious that I need to click on it to push the changes to the registry. It looks like a line of text. It does indicate that the registry needs to be updated, but I assumed saving would do that, create the short cuts, map the buttons, and create a backup. I think you should only have to click the save button to do all that. The text if left there should just tell you tell click save to commit the changes. Something to think about.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Excellent, glad you got it working.

I made the update separate from the save, since every time a major Windows update blows away your config, all you need to do is just update, not save again.

But I get your point, it's not clear. I'll see what I can do.

Teddyboy

Re: [Resolved] CMC won't launch from green or any other button

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:22 am

Excellent Paul.
If those are the steps you want people to follow, then just make that registry update obvious. Also you really only need one dialog box to state that that the button configurations have been applied to the registry and a backup was created. Make it bigger too. It’s gets a little lost on my 47” 1080P Samsung tv.

modenwalder

Re: [Resolved] CMC won't launch from green or any other button

Post by modenwalder » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:51 am

I want to thank you guys for going through all this in detail as I had started to have the same issue. Couldn't get any button to launch CMC. Following this thread I now have it all working again. I had missed both the admin step and the update registry - DOH! Funny thing is that I had done all this properly at one time and then I guess I had an episode of Old-timers and messed it up completely.

I wanted to be able to use the guide button on my Harmony Elite so I, but the native guide command doesn't appear to work, so I also reprogrammed that button to be "green" and life is good again.
Regards - Michael O