Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Resolved] CMC won't launch from green or any other button

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

Re: CMC won't launch from green or any other button

Post by Pauven » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:06 am

Teddyboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:08 pm 4. In CMC as Admin: update registry, reboot
I ran CMC as Admin and selected the green button, saved and rebooted

Okay, a couple quibbles here: You didn't write that you updated the registry. I'll give you credit and assume you did, but you were very clear in all other steps you took, so I wanted to point this out in case for some reason you didn't.

Also, I think you picked the wrong button. There are four colored buttons, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, and you picked one of them, Green. You did NOT pick the Big Green Windows button, which is listed as 'Windows' in the selection options:
image.png
image.png (29.14 KiB) Viewed 7447 times

Teddyboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:08 pm 6. In MCE Mapper: Load From Registry, and provide screenshot
Debug log is attached

In the MCE Mapper screenshot, you are showing the Big Green "Windows" button as not configured, but you are NOT showing the four colored buttons, including the Green button. Scroll around and you should see them.

Also, from the Debug Log (thanks for providing that and everything else!), I see:

Code: Select all

* Configured Launch Button "Green" has Button ID "5C"
Which tells me that you did choose the Green button instead of the Big Green "Windows" button.

I truly hate that the terminology for the WMC Start button has become "The Big Green button", as it is too easily confused with the little Green button.

One last note, even in MCE Mapper, the Big Green Button is named "Windows", not "Green". In fact, all the button names came from MCE Mapper, since I used their source code and button tables as a reference when I built this functionality into CMC.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Okay lets try this again. :)
1. In MCE Mapper: Load Original MCE, apply/save and reboot
Started MCE Mapper as admin, loaded Original MCE registry, applied them to the registry, saved and rebooted

2. Verify remote button no longer works
The WINDOWS Button does not launch CMC

3. In CME: enable Debug Logging
The CMC debug log was enabled in startup logging options. I already did that the first time. I just didn't write it down.

4. In CME as Admin: update registry, reboot
Ran CMC as admin updated registry picking the WINDOWS button. Saved and rebooted.

5. Verify that remote button still isn't working
The WINDOWS button still does not launch CMC

6. In MCE Mapper: Load From Registry, and provide screenshot
debug log is attached
CMC reg no WINDOWS Button is active after activation.png
CMC reg no WINDOWS Button is active after activation.png (100.16 KiB) Viewed 7444 times
Attachments
DebugLog_MCERegCheck.txt
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:07 pm

At the top of the log I see this:

Code: Select all

CMC does not have Administrator rights 
I'm not sure you grabbed the right log file. Please be sure to grab it right after you update the registry from CMC, and before launching CMC again. I think you're launching CMC again and it's overwriting the log file from when you updated the registry with the startup registry check.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:21 pm

I ran CMC as admin changed the button to windows and the log is attached. I did not reboot. CMC starts automatically after reboot. Hope this helps. I didn't know that the file was over written with each start.
Attachments
DebugLog_MCERegCheck.txt
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:13 am

I felt sure that I would have logged more info on the registry update process. This morning I was able to run the MCE Remote Registry Update process with Debug Logging enabled, and I was able to confirm that there are two log files created: DebugLog_MCERegCheck.txt, and DebugLog_MCERegUpdate.txt.

The MCERegCheck is from the automatic process at CMC startup, and doesn't contain any of the info related to updating the registry. You should still have the MCERegUpdate log file in your directory if you want to post that. That hopefully will reveal what is going wrong.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:44 am

Hi Paul,

It is not generating the other log file. I don't know why as I have enabled it in CMC and it does generate one , but not DebugLog_MCERegUpdate.txt as you can see from the screen shot. One thing I did notice is that even though I'll update the buttons per the process one would normally go through. it still says that it needs a registry update even after I have rebooted and loaded CMC normally, and the button windows button still does not operate as intended. This is a plain vanilla Win10 pro system upgraded from Win7 Pro that runs on a domain. I have full administrative rights over the HTPC otherwise MCE Mapper wouldn't work. I'm at the end of my road in trying to provide information that you need to help you debug. I've used MCE Mapper to set the button, and it works fine. Other then doing a TeamViewer session this is as far as I can go.
No Debuglog_MCERegUpdate.png
No Debuglog_MCERegUpdate.png (122.66 KiB) Viewed 7428 times

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi Paul,

I just tested your remote buttons and both of my remotes worked fine with them programmed through CMC. I use a rosewill RC6 and a HP HTPC remote.

I usually use the advanced MCE remote mapper because it allows me to program the 1 - 9 keys like the letters on the telephone and I need a shutdown button programmed to power down my NUCs. If you could somehow add that functionality, I would be all in with CMC remote mapping.

I first went in and used advanced MCE remote mapper to unmap my remote buttons by setting them to the default. I then rebooted. After I rebooted, I made sure that my remote buttons did not work.

I then went into CMC in administrator mode and mapped my buttons. I saved the settings and was taken out of settings and went back into settings to save the button mapping to the registry. I exited CMC and rebooted.

After I rebooted I tried the WMC button which is called the windows button in CMC. It worked. I then noticed that I have no red button, but only a record button. I went into the remote settings and changed close programs to "record". I saved the settings and went back to the remote settings to save the registry settings. I noticed that I wasn't getting the prompt that my settings were saved to the registry. I banged and screamed at it until it dawned on me that I had not entered CMC with administrator rights. I did that and the registry settings finally saved. You really need a prompt to say "Hey nitwit, Turn on Administrator rights!!!!" It just sits there and if I didn't know that I needed to be prompted I would have thought that it had saved to the registry properly. Also the prompt always says registry matches even though I know I haven't saved the latest changes to the registry yet.

Also for the "Windows" Button. Could you call it MCE or WMC button? I think that is what it was originally called. Either that, or can you provide icons showing what the buttons look like?

I rebooted and everything worked fine including the music button.

Here are my WMC mappings.
remote.jpg
remote.jpg (166.89 KiB) Viewed 7423 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 am

Jamie wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm I usually use the advanced MCE remote mapper because it allows me to program the 1 - 9 keys like the letters on the telephone and I need a shutdown button programmed to power down my NUCs. If you could somehow add that functionality, I would be all in with CMC remote mapping.

Please post a detailed feature request.

Jamie wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm You really need a prompt to say "Hey nitwit, Turn on Administrator rights!!!!"

My plan is to eliminate the requirement to start CMC as administrator, and instead when you click to update the registry, it would automatically start a second process as administrator (Windows would ask for permission, of course) which would do the update. That way, you don't even have to get out your keyboard to get admin rights.

Jamie wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm Also for the "Windows" Button. Could you call it MCE or WMC button? I think that is what it was originally called. Either that, or can you provide icons showing what the buttons look like?

I probably can change the name. It's always hard to change things after I've released CMC into the wild, because I will have to also add a mapping function to change the old/original value to the new value. I'm not sure about adding icons, I think my time might be better spent elsewhere.

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:44 am It is not generating the other log file.

I think that is a big clue, though I'm having trouble piecing it all together. I can think of two possibilities:

1) You didn't run as administrator with Debug Logging enabled and click Update Registry (it sure sounds like you did, so please don't get defensive, but I don't want to rule this out as a possibility, even unlikely as it may be)

2) Somehow the registry update function is not being called. I can't imagine how that would happen. I just reviewed the function, and the first thing it does is write a header to the debug log file, so if the function is being called, then the debug log file should be there even if only a header.

So neither of those sound very likely, but it's all I've got. Of the two, I'm thinking option 1 is more likely. As Jamie pointed out, CMC just sits there like a dumb log when you click the update option without admin rights, so I think it is an easy and honest mistake to make.

Also, when you successfully update the registry, CMC will give you several confirmation prompts (Registry Updated, Shortcut Created, etc.). If you are not seeing those prompts, while running as Admin, then that's another clue.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Hey Paul,

Nah I’m not defensive about it at all. That could happen. I’ll try again to see if I can get it to work. The first thing I do is right click to run CMC as a administrator. I go in and make my adjustments, save and then reboot. That’s it right?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Corrected:

The first thing I do is right click to run CMC as a administrator. I go in and make my adjustments, save, then update registry, and then reboot.