Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Use CMC just as a catalog GUI without a media server?

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
zarquon7

Use CMC just as a catalog GUI without a media server?

Post by zarquon7 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I use My Movies just as a disc database/catalog, I don't rip the discs to a server, so there are no "watched" folders involved.
Is there any way to use CMC as simply a graphical front end in this scenario?

Pauven

Re: Use CMC just as a catalog GUI without a media server?

Post by Pauven » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi zarquon7,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, this is possible. Currently, it may require more setup than you are wanting to do. Below are the steps to configure each movie (I'll use the movie Avatar as an example):

1) You would have to create a folder for each title, i.e. C:\Movies\Avatar

2) Then you would have to configure the title in My Movies, configuring a Disc as an 'Online Folder' and point it to the folder you created, i.e. C:\Movies\Avatar

My Movies and CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) will both now be able to export the metadata and artwork to the folder you assigned. In CMC, you would also need to enable Offline Title support (Settings > Movie Library Scanning > Sync Offline Titles).

I certainly understand if that is more effort than you want to do. I've had a few users who really wanted offline titles to show in CMC, so the above steps made it possible. When you go to play a movie, CMC will tell you it is offline and prompt you to insert it for playback. And when you insert a disc, CMC can autolaunch your configured player to play the disc. So there is some benefit to all of this extra setup.

My recommendation would be to do just a few titles so you can see how it works and if you think the extra effort is worth it. It will probably take about 1-2 minutes per movie once you get the process figured out.

I am working on a new version of CME that will directly create the Database for CMC, and offline titles will not require any of the additional setup steps outlined above. It's a lot of development work, so I don't know exactly when I'll be done, but I'm hopeful to have it by Spring of next year.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter