Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v3.2] Sort By Release Date Problem

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
soundmanmike

[Fixed in v3.2] Sort By Release Date Problem

Post by soundmanmike » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Just to give an overview first. I have been going through my large collection of movies (2500+) and updating information within MM Manager to make all of my movies sort properly when it comes to release date. As many of you may know the release date generally refers to the day the movie was released on DVD (Blu-ray, etc) therefore if you use the information that is found by default in MM Manager it may list a movie from 1990 as having a disc release date of 8/7/2008 because that is when it was actually put out on disc. Therefore sorting by release date is kind of useless for movies that have not been release in the last 10-15 years (at least that is my opinion)...anyway I went through and changed all the older movie release dates to reflect when the movie was released into theaters instead, that made the sorting work really well. The only problem I am having now is that my boxed sets are the only things that are not sorting properly. When I sort by release date in CMC my boxed sets are listed in the start or the end of the entire list. In MM Manager the release dates are correct. Has anyone else had this issue and do they know what I may be doing wrong or is it a program issue?

Thanks for any help.....Mike

Pauven

Re: Sort By Release Date Problem

Post by Pauven » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:35 am

There's also a sort by Production Year, which it sounds like you are manually recreating by putting the production year into the disc release date field, though perhaps you are being more specific and using the exact theatrical release date instead of just a year.

image.png
image.png (356.52 KiB) Viewed 9745 times

I'm not aware of any issue in the code, as I haven't seen this behavior before, though there could be an issue. I will look into it.

Can you send me the XML file(s) for some box sets? That will help me troubleshoot.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

soundmanmike

Post by soundmanmike » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Sort by production year is not what I was looking for because it only uses the year. I have attached the XML files from three different box sets that are listed in the first four titles when sorted by release date.

Thank you for your help!

Mike
Attachments
mmTitle.xml
(53.4 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
mmTitle.xml
(53.44 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
mmTitle.xml
(145.87 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:49 pm

I looked at all three files, and none of those are box set parents (nor box set children). These are all TV Series.

Is the problem only with TV Series?

soundmanmike

Post by soundmanmike » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:35 pm

You are correct, I should have phrased that differently. They are all TV series.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:36 pm

Please post the mmSeries.xml files for these TV series.

soundmanmike

Post by soundmanmike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Only one of the three has that XML file...I have attached it.
Attachments
Sons of Anarchy.mmSeries.xml
(4.94 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Mike. I'll dig into this tomorrow.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am

I found the problem. For TV Series, CMC was using the date in the OriginalAirTime tag, which seems to have a bogus date, as the Release Date.

Code: Select all

<FirstAired>9/3/2008 12:00:00 AM</FirstAired>

<OriginalAirTime>10/29/2019 10:00:00 PM</OriginalAirTime>
I've corrected this to use the FirstAired date as the Release Date instead. This fix is in CMC v3.2, due out around the end of the month.

Thanks for letting me know about this issue.

One tip, I noticed that a few of my TV Series were still not sorting correctly. When I checked, I found that the Global First Aired date was blank, and that there was only a Country Specific First Aired date:

image.png
image.png (86.98 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

You will need to make sure the Global First Aired date is populated, as that is what CMC is using. Update below.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 am

Correction on that last tip: I have fixed CMC to pull the date from the Country Specific section if it is missing in the Global.

But if you don't have any episodes mapped, then MMCM won't display the [+] to expand the Title and show the Series info, and it won't be exported by CME either, so the Release Date will be blank in CMC and sorting won't work.

So mapping episodes (at least 1 episode) is a hard requirement for TV Series to sort by Release Date.