Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In v3.2] M2TS Format

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
soundmanmike

[In v3.2] M2TS Format

Post by soundmanmike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Is there a way to make movies show up in the CMC catalog that are in M2TS format (i.e. Ironman3.m2ts)? These movies are in single file format just like an MKV and they are not within an ISO. If I temporarily change the extension to MP4 then it shows up in the catalog but obviously that makes for playback issues. And yes, I know I could just convert them as a last resort.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pauven

Re: M2TS Format

Post by Pauven » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:21 pm

M2TS files are standard Blu-ray format. CMC expects these to be in a Blu-ray folder, i.e. <blu-ray folder disc 1>\BDMV\STREAM\*.m2ts

And Blu-ray stream files are typically multiple files per movie, so you need a playlist to play them.

I have not added standalone support for M2TS files.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

soundmanmike

Post by soundmanmike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:44 pm

I understand what you are saying. In many instances you can open a Blu-ray folder and extract the full movie in a single file. You just have to look for the m2ts file that is very large then open it to see if its the full movie. If possible, I do not want any of the menu systems or extras that are included on the disc so I have just pull out what I need instead of converting it. Like you said, there are movies that are all chopped up into many pieces and therefore this does not apply. It kind of surprises me that other people have not figured this out, especially if you have a lot of movies ripped to MKV format.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 pm

soundmanmike wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:44 pm I understand what you are saying. In many instances you can open a Blu-ray folder and extract the full movie in a single file. You just have to look for the m2ts file that is very large then open it to see if its the full movie. If possible, I do not want any of the menu systems or extras that are included on the disc so I have just pull out what I need instead of converting it. Like you said, there are movies that are all chopped up into many pieces and therefore this does not apply. It kind of surprises me that other people have not figured this out, especially if you have a lot of movies ripped to MKV format.
Like Paul mentioned many times a movie can span multiple files and the only way for CMC to know which files to play is to have a playlist which is a mpls file that is also in the BMDV folder. M2ts files are not meant to be played stand alone even though most players will do it, like Powerdvd and VLC. If you convert a mt2s to a MKV file it will not be compressed unless you ask it to be. MKV is just a container. It is best to convert to a MKV file and let CMC play that file. You can then set it up to play any which way you want it to be shown.

Most applications like CMC wlll recognize an mkv file but not m2ts as you now know. Also, most apps like CMC don't play M2ts files because the studios have the disc manufacturers create bogus m2ts files to confuse apps like the fox, or Monkey. By the way, CMC is not a player. It is mostly a video catalog that allows the playback of the disc titles.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

I'm thinking the right answer here is for me to just go ahead and add support for M2TS. It'll only take me 5 minutes. And this support issue keeps coming up every 6 months or so.

CMC's file scanner does not look inside BDMV folders, so it won't see any M2TS files that are in their original locations. But if a user has extracted some M2TS files and put them in standalone folders, it will be able to pick them up.

I'll add this to the next version, v3.2.

soundmanmike

Post by soundmanmike » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:38 am

I will not argue with that Paul, thanks for the change. When do you expect to release 3.2?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:38 am

About a month ago... wait... hmmm... seems like I'm running a bit behind schedule.

Soon.TM

soundmanmike

Post by soundmanmike » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 am

I look forward to it! Thanks!