Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

CMC Flickering?

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

CMC Flickering?

Post by Pauven » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:33 am

Question: Does anyone experience flickering in CMC when navigating around?

I've always had a smooth experience myself, until a few days ago. I made some graphics card changes (reverting back to a previous graphics card), and all of a sudden I was getting horrible flickering when scrolling through movie covers or going into settings, pretty much any navigation was plagued by annoying flickering.

I thought it was a recent code change, and went back a few versions and they all had the same issue.

So now I'm wondering if anyone else has a CMC flickering issue.

The good news is that I did fix it on my PC. In my graphics settings I enabled the new Win10 2004 options for "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" and "Variable refresh rate", and now I'm back to smooth scrolling. I'm a bit baffled as to why this worked, as these are enhancements that shouldn't be required for an app like CMC - in fact the hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is brand new and should almost be considered beta functionality. Perhaps there were recent Win10 updates and nVidia driver changes also at play.

image.png
image.png (83.95 KiB) Viewed 2924 times

I might do some more testing if time allows, to see if only one or the other setting made the difference. It might also be related to having FreeSync enabled on my monitors combined to having it disabled in Windows that was the problem.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Re: CMC Flickering?

Post by Pauven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Bad news, my screen flickering is back with CMC.

I checked my graphic settings, and they still were set to the new values that I thought had resolved the issue.

Most likely a reboot that I did after applying the settings had helped.

Am I really the only one with this issue?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:29 pm

I just got the flickering to stop again. I turned off FreeSync on my monitor itself, which caused the monitor to briefly be removed and re-added in Device Manager as a new device. Now it doesn't flicker.

I don't think it is the FreeSync setting, but rather removing and re-adding of the monitor device itself that somehow resolved it. This is not fun to trouble-shoot...

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't know. I am still concerned with installing 5.30. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. I seem to remember during music testing that there was a lot of flickering with the album covers. You fixed it but I don't remember how it was done.