Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Answered] Reporting back - was able to upgrade without reading setup guide

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
dsteinschneider

[Answered] Reporting back - was able to upgrade without reading setup guide

Post by dsteinschneider » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi Paul,

For some reason I was unaware of the 4.0 release earlier this month. A couple of days I ago I downloaded it, unzipped it, copied it over my existing CMC folder. I then ran CMC , read the notice about CCC replacing CME. I then went to the machine running CME and closed it. Then I ran CCC from the HTPC itself, provided credentials for the HTPC, provided the API key of the machine running MyMovies and ran the full export. It only took about 20 minutes for our 1200 titles (I only have about 12 TV Series) and it's been smooth sailing since.

This flying by the seat of my pants did have one repercussion. I ended up repeating the process for our second HTPC. I noticed it wanted to share one of the new folders so I know it's supposed to only be run on one computer and the others connect to that ones database.

I'm thinking I should run CCC on the computer running MyMovies (also our DrivePool server) - is that a correct assumption?

Reading the guides now: https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/forums/?w3= ... BocD9mPTIy

Pauven

Re: Reporting back - was able to upgrade without reading setup guide

Post by Pauven » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Wow, that's an impressive result. I worked hard to make CCC much easier to use, and I guess it paid off. Your experience has provided valuable insight, thank you for sharing it. I might need to add a first-time user warning to CCC that they should only run a single copy for their entire home.

Yes, you only want to run one copy of CCC. There are two main factors to consider when choosing where to run it:

1) Availability

2) Proximity to My Movies

Notice that the #1 criteria I listed above is availability. For best results, you want CCC to be running and available all the time, whenever you are using CMC. You can think of it as the switchboard operator for your home phone - when you run CMC it wants to call CCC to check-in and sync data (both Movie and User data), and if CCC isn't reachable that call fails.

The #2 criteria is performance related - the closer CCC is to My Movies, the faster the export will run. So if they can both be running on the same PC, that's the best possible result.

Now, if you always have your My Movies PC up and available, then it's a no-brainer, install CCC on your My Movies PC. But if you for some reason keep your My Movies PC shut down (maybe you only boot it up once a month to do some collection maintenance), then you would be better off having CCC running on a different PC that is up more of the time. So the availability of CCC is more important than the performance of exporting My Movies data.

Hope that helps.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter