Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[PlayClick] EAccess Violation When Launching External Player

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
ethanterry

[PlayClick] EAccess Violation When Launching External Player

Post by ethanterry » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:56 am

Hello!

I'm having some issues with using the CCC software over a LAN setup. I have no issues launching external players (like VLC and PowerDVD) on my host PC (where CCC and MyMovies are running), but when attempting to do the same thing on my client PC, I get the following error:

[PlayClick] Eaccess Violation: Access violation at address 00f66383 in module 'CMC.exe'. Read of address 00000000

I'm connected successfully to CCC on the host PC, and a full export/sync has been executed. Also, (unrelated), I've got a fresh new install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD as of this afternoon, and unfortunately the problem remains. Has anyone seen this particular error before?

Ethan
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (214.26 KiB) Viewed 3124 times

Pauven

Re: [PlayClick] EAccess Violation When Launching External Player

Post by Pauven » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:10 am

Hi Ethan, welcome!

I'll need some Debug info to troubleshoot.

Please Enable: Settings > Startup & Logging Options > Debug Logging

Then try to play a few titles that generate the error. You can then turn off debug logging.

Then email or post here all Logs\ DebugLog_PlayClick* files that were created.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

ethanterry

Post by ethanterry » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:08 pm

Off Topic
Thanks, Paul!

Upon looking at the logs, I could immediately see the problem. Below is one of the logs (all subsequent logs had the same error):

PlayClick Debug Log Generated 1/24/2021 12:08:35 AM with CMC v4.1.2020.1225
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** BEGIN OF PLAYCLICK DEBUG LOG ***
Disc Number=0
Disc Location=K:\Finalized\Twelve Monkeys (1995) (BD)
Disc Type=dtBluray
Container=ctUnknown
Validating Disc Location: K:\Finalized\Twelve Monkeys (1995) (BD)
Folder Does Not Exist

The client PC was referencing the drive letters on the host machine. I mapped those drives across my LAN with the same drive letters, and everything works perfectly. I don't know if this is the correct fix (does the program need the drives to be mapped the same?) but it certainly works for me in the meantime. Here's hoping this can help anyone else with a similar issue.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:53 pm

Hey Ethan,

That's exactly what I was guessing we would find, that you were using drive letters on your server. Good work on troubleshooting.

Just an FYI: Binnerup says this is not supported, and that you are supposed to use server paths for all media storage.

Obviously you found a workaround, and in my mind as long as that's working then you should be fine. In fact, CMC does have some logic built-in to automatically refresh mapped drives (commonly required after rebooting), so I expect this will work alright. Just make sure you configured the mappings to persist through reboots.

If you decide you want to use server paths instead, then you would need to first share your storage on your network, then use the host PC's name as the server.

For example, say your host PC's name is DellOptiplex123, you would first share drive K on your network, then update your filepaths in My Movies Collection Management to use \\DellOptiplex123\K\Finalized\... instead of K:\Finalized\...

This change is easier than it sounds, as once you update the first movie in MMCM, it should offer to automatically update all the others on the same path. Tip: use the file icon to browse to the path, don't type it in manually, as manual typing will not trigger the auto-update feature.

I'm not sure if making this change would actually make a difference, so I'm not really advocating you do this, simply giving some guidance on how to do it. Choice is yours.

Paul

ethanterry

Post by ethanterry » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:06 pm

This is absolutely wonderful advice. Thanks so much, Paul- and thanks for CMC!

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 am

Pauven wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:53 pm That's exactly what I was guessing we would find, that you were using drive letters on your server. Good work on troubleshooting.

Just an FYI: Binnerup says this is not supported, and that you are supposed to use server paths for all media storage.
Hey Ethan,

I read a post today on Binnerup's forum that explains why My Movies does not support mapped drives. I immediately thought of our conversation here, and thought I would pass this on.

Essentially, the problem is that mapped drives are typically only mapped for the current user, and My Movies uses background processes that may not have those same mappings.

Here's the link: https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=46475

Read Binnerup's response, not supporting mapped drives is the last thing he mentions.

Because CMC does not use any background processes that access mapped drives, I stand by my earlier statement that CMC should be okay with this approach. But this would definitely be a concern for My Movies, as this might mean that the "My Movies General Service", which runs in the background and does 99% of the work, isn't actually working...