Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In v3.1] Support for more than one letter to search a title on the movie wall

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
Manni

[In v3.1] Support for more than one letter to search a title on the movie wall

Post by Manni » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:01 am

In MyMovies or JRiver, we can type up to 3 letters to quickly locate a title on the movie wall.

With CMC, it seems to be limited to one letter, which doesn't work on a 3200+ titles collection as you can have hundreds of titles starting with the same letter.

So is there any way you could implement the following behaviour:

- Once we've entered a letter, if another letter is entered right away, consider it as the second letter of a title.
- Of course you need to handle the case where the seeked letter isn't the first one on the remote. So for example, if I want "n" on a remote, I have to press the "6" key twice. So if the second letter comes from a different remote key, it can be accepted as the next letter in the title. Otherwise it should be assumed it's the actual letter we're after, until there is a pause of x seconds.
- The different letters are displayed to show the string used as it's being built
- After a longer pause of y seconds, stop displaying the search string and consider a new letter as the first letter of a new search.

This is pretty much standard behaviour for a quick search. You can see how jRiver or the MyMovies MCE plugin do it.

It's of course important that it works with a remote (using a limited number of number keys to enter letters), not only with a keyboard.

Pauven

Re: Support for more than one letter to search a title on the movie wall

Post by Pauven » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 am

From a couple posts down...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186

This has been requested many times. It's a good idea, but surprisingly hard to program and have it behave correctly.

I'll get it figured out one day.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Re: [In v3.1] Support for more than one letter to search a title on the movie wall

Post by Pauven » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Today's the day I got it figured out! This will be in v3.1, which I plan to release towards the end of the month.

Just as you asked, you can now enter multiple characters like "Dow" or "Gif" or "Zoo" instead of just one like "D" or "G" or "Z". Technically, there is no string limit, though after 3 or 4 characters the remaining characters run off the screen edge, so you will only see the first 3-4 chars of your search string.

Not only does this work for jumping through the titles, the number pad also works on the Search panel.

Also note that previously only 2-9 worked for a-z. New in v3.1, 0 now allows for a space, and 1 now allows for a period or comma.

This comes in real handy on the Search menu, as now you can use the number-pad to enter your search terms (no need to pull out your keyboard anymore). And the comma is super important, as it allows you to enter multiple terms in the same search box. The back button now works on the Search panel too, as a backspace, and once you delete all the text in a search box, pressing back again will exit the box too.

v3.1 is coming along really well, and I expect to release it towards the end of the month.

Manni

Re: [In v3.1] Support for more than one letter to search a title on the movie wall

Post by Manni » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 am

Sounds perfect! Thanks! That's going to make a huge difference for large collections. 2-3 characters is plenty. On a 3,000+ titles collection, 1 key gives you more than 100 titles, 2 keys brings this down to less than 10. More than manageable...

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Head's up: I've just posted the first release candidate for v3.1. I would appreciate testing feedback.

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Pauven wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:33 pm Head's up: I've just posted the first release candidate for v3.1. I would appreciate testing feedback.
Testing right now :)

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Works great, I'll post feedback in the beta thread, thanks a lot for implementing this!

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm

:D