Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In v3.3] Possibility to add playback software to mode bar

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
michael1

[In v3.3] Possibility to add playback software to mode bar

Post by michael1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Paul,

it happens to me quite often that I want to continue watching a movie (which is inserted as disc in my pc), during which I fell asleep the day before...

Would it be possible expand the mode bar features, so that the user can choose his preferred player software (in my case PDVD), just the same way it is possible already for Win10 apps? As result I would like to see an icon in the mode bar, which on clicking opens the choosen playback software (configured in settings) and start playback in case a disc is inserted.

Thanks alot for your consideration

michael1

Re: Possibility to add playback software to mode bar

Post by michael1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05 am

Sorry, I wrote this when I was not on my PC, and totally forgot about the configurable exe links... :oops:
I just configured PDVD to the mode bar and it works like a charm!
Only one thing, could you please provide a nice symbol for PDVD (or maby just a simple disc)? All existing symbols do not look like for a disc playback software

Thanks!

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:14 pm

I'm glad you remembered that you can create custom links - good work!

I just wrote a tutorial on how to achieve the backlit logo effect for custom logos, and I used the PowerDVD logo as an example. You can download the PowerDVD logo at the end of the tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=213
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

michael1

Post by michael1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks a lot for the tutorial and also the PowerDVD logo! Being able to create own logos provides a further step of customization of the mode bar.

I tried the logo and the effects work fine, however I don't like the small letters compared with other logos for the mode bar which are rather big Symbols. So I searched for another logo and modified it with the standard picture app of Win10. The result works better for me but I don't like the black background for which I haven't found a way yet to remove it.
LinkIcon_PDVD19.png
LinkIcon_PDVD19.png (18.17 KiB) Viewed 8868 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm not sure what tool you were using. With Photoshop, it was easy to select the black background with the magic wand selection tool, and I used a tolerance of 0 to successfully grab all of the black area. After deleting the selected black background, it changed to white, since there was two layers - a white background layer, and the layer 0 image layer. I deleted the white background layer, making the image floating on a transparent square.

I also added the edge darkening routine as I described in the tutorial.
LinkIcon_PowerDVD19.png
LinkIcon_PowerDVD19.png (18.52 KiB) Viewed 8859 times

michael1

Post by michael1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks a lot. I will install this icon once back home.

Actually I have no experience with photoshop and during the last years also wasn't using any other graphics program. So for this purpose I simply used the MS photo app which comes with Win10 but has a limited functionality. After changing the color to monochrome at least the blue background effects worked nicely once the icon is focused. Just the icon looked too heavy due to the black permanent background.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:06 pm

I don't know if adobe sells photoshop essentials outside of the USA but it is much less expensive than the full blown product. It has most of the features and may get you what you need to do. I don't know whether they have a trial version for essentials but if they did you could at least check it out.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm

I just took a look, and MS Photo editor definitely lacks the features necessary to make these icons.

Jamie's suggestion for Photoshop Essentials is a good idea.

If you're looking for something even cheaper - there's always free: GIMP

I've never used GIMP myself, but my understanding is that it is a free Photoshop competitor. I would expect it could do the necessary steps to create the icon effect.

Pauven

Re: [In v3.3] Possibility to add playback software to mode bar

Post by Pauven » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:06 pm

michael1 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 pm Hi Paul,

it happens to me quite often that I want to continue watching a movie (which is inserted as disc in my pc), during which I fell asleep the day before...

Would it be possible expand the mode bar features, so that the user can choose his preferred player software (in my case PDVD), just the same way it is possible already for Win10 apps? As result I would like to see an icon in the mode bar, which on clicking opens the choosen playback software (configured in settings) and start playback in case a disc is inserted.

Thanks alot for your consideration

Though it took me a while, I've now implemented this feature request for v3.3. You can add any of the supported players as External Links on the mode bar, and CMC will open them to their default view.

Note that CMC will not automatically start playback if you use one of these links. Instead, if you have an ISO mounted then you should simply Play the same title again - CMC will see it is already mounted and begin playback, possibly resuming where you left off depending upon your player's configuration. These External Links are simply for launching the player, not beginning playback.

I still have it on my to-do list to add a button to play physical discs that were previously inserted. That will come as part of my overall External Links revamp, when I split them into a separate panel and revert the Mode Bar back to the original CMC internal functionality.