Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In v3.2] Custom Backgrounds by Media Type

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
RKEP

[In v3.2] Custom Backgrounds by Media Type

Post by RKEP » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi

Its great that we have the option to choose our own Background. I would like to take this a step further. Currently the its the same Background for all menu options, what I think would be great is the option to have Bagrounds that represent the section you are in I.E Movies or TV Series etc. (please see attached of an example I'd like to use)

So if we could assign a Background to to each section/group it would be great! Thanks

Richard
Attachments
Movies.jpg
Movies.jpg (301.58 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
TV Series.jpg
TV Series.jpg (157.21 KiB) Viewed 8208 times

Pauven

Re: Backgrounds

Post by Pauven » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:03 pm

That's an interesting idea. Let me think about it.

Just to make sure I'm understanding, you are wanting to set a custom background for each of:
  • All Media Types
  • Movies
  • TV Series
  • Music
  • Documentaries
  • Other Media Types
How would the feature to assign the Fan Art for a title as the background work? Would it assigned based upon the current view?

There's a similar request for genre views, so this might fall into that realm. I'll have to think about the big picture and how all of this can work together.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

RKEP

Post by RKEP » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi

Yes thats what I have in mind. FanArt can be assigned in the same way or I like the idea of say, assigning a Background as I have shown then when you hover over a title the FanArt fades in after a preset time selected as we do for the sypnosis and then the sypnosis could fade in over the FanArt at preset time after. If you don't want to see anything fading in you can set it to a stupid time so you won't be on it long enough for it to happen or just have the option to not fade so everyone would have the choice on how they setup there experience. WMC faded in the FanArt as you hovered over a title.

Richard

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:19 pm

RKEP wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:14 pm WMC faded in the FanArt as you hovered over a title.

It did? I've never seen this.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:46 pm

RKEP wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:51 pm Its great that we have the option to choose our own Background. I would like to take this a step further. Currently the its the same Background for all menu options, what I think would be great is the option to have Bagrounds that represent the section you are in I.E Movies or TV Series etc. (please see attached of an example I'd like to use)

So if we could assign a Background to to each section/group it would be great! Thanks

Richard
Would this work with the covers that display alphabetically A to Z? If I understand right, I would think that this could only be done on either the Genre or media type filters

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Jamie wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:46 pm Would this work with the covers that display alphabetically A to Z?

Yes. This is not a factor.

Jamie wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:46 pm If I understand right, I would think that this could only be done on either the Genre or media type filters

What is being suggested is that the background behind the cover rows be configurable uniquely for each Media Type filter. This is similar to, but not nearly as complex as, the other requests to implement the Genre view which would have custom icons, a different cover row arrangement, and backdrops unique to each genre.

Currently the same backdrop is shown for all Media Type filter selections. I've been asked by other users to make the top icons indicate when they are actively filtering (similar to how the eye opens/shuts for Show All/Show Unwatched Only), and this would actually help accomplish that goal for the Media Type filtering. I could deliver stock backgrounds for each Media Type, and users could change them as they see fit, individually per Media Type.

I've also had several users get confused as to how to access the TV Series, since in WMC you exited the Movies section and entered the TV Series section, and these users are not expecting the unified experience that CMC delivers. I don't think the unique Media Type backgrounds would help this issue, because these users simply are not clicking the Media Type icon in the first place, so they would never see the background change. Media Type specific backgrounds don't make this any worse, but no better either, so not really a factor one way or another.

RKEP

Post by RKEP » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:44 am

Hi

Attached is the My Movies Settings Menu where you can set the fade time and transparency etc. This only comes up if WMC is installed, so a Win 10 without it you won't have WMC options. I have sent an email with video so you can see it in action because I am unable to attach it here.

Richard
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (85.04 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 am

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the late response on this, I got sidetracked troubleshooting some bugs and adding some features for v3.2.

I did receive the video, thank you! After watching the video, I realize now what you are talking about. The fade and details pop-up on delay you are talking about is part of the categories view (which seems misnamed, as it is based around genres, oh well).

These are not changes I will be making to the current view, that is not in scope. However, for the categories view, when I implement it, it will be part of that view.

I've still got some other slated features that are higher on the schedule than the categories view, so I don't have a firm grasp on when this will be implemented yet, but rest assured that this has been a popular request so it will happen.

Paul

Pauven

Re: [In v3.2] Custom Backgrounds by Media Type

Post by Pauven » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 am

RKEP wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:51 pmIts great that we have the option to choose our own Background. I would like to take this a step further. Currently the its the same Background for all menu options, what I think would be great is the option to have Bagrounds that represent the section you are in I.E Movies or TV Series etc. (please see attached of an example I'd like to use)

Hi Richard,

The ability to set a custom background for each Media Type has been added to CMC v3.2. Here's how it works:

When you assign or clear a background, you are assigning or clearing it for the Media Type mode you are currently viewing. For example, to change the TV Series background, you must first apply the TV Series Media Type filter. Then, when you are looking at a title's Fan Art and select the option to assign as the background, you are only assigning it for the TV Series. Same in the Settings, as the current background assignment shown is for the Media Type you are currently displaying.

Also, if a Media Type mode does not have a custom background assigned, it will default to the background you have set for 'Show All Media Types'. That way the current behavior of having one background show no matter what mode you are in is still possible.

Paul