Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In v3.2] Remote Hot keys

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
RKEP

[In v3.2] Remote Hot keys

Post by RKEP » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 am

Hi

I am going to make an android remote and would like to be able to go directly to a Library when CMC is already running at the click of a button instead of navigating the menu. To be clear, just like you have the Hotkeys to open the program in a particular Library (CTRL+ALT+7 Movies CTRL+ALT+9 Music) but in this case change libraries when the program is already open.

Hopefully it is possible for us to maually do this or be a feature that can be added to CMC. I suggest the following Hot Keys, I believe they do not interfere with anything else but I'm not fussy what we have to use.

CTRL+ALT+A - Show All Media Types
CTRL+ALT+F - Show Movies
CTRL+ALT+T - Show TV Series
CTRL+ALT+M - Show Music
CTRL+ALT+D - Show Documentaries
CTRL+ALT+O - Show Other Media Types

Thanks

Richard

Pauven

Re: Remote Hot keys

Post by Pauven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:19 pm

I like this idea, but I feel the scope needs to be expanded and evaluated for the entire app. If I'm going to add hotkeys, then I think they need to work for more features in CMC, both for current and for future features to come.

For example, there are the main CMC "Modes", like the Movie Library and the Music Library, and in the future there will be the Photo and Video Libaries. I think there should be hotkeys for jumping between all the main libraries, aka CMC Modes.

The External Links are extremely handy, but I imagine they could be even better if they could have a hotkey assigned. One of my future changes will unfortunately make the External Links harder to reach - there's not enough room on the Mode bar, which is where I will be putting the Photo and Video icons too, so I will be making a dedicated External Links panel, and I'm thinking of hiding it above the Mode bar. So you would have to arrow up to the main Icon bar, then again to the Mode bar, then a 3rd time to the External Links panel. So I was already thinking about a hotkey to jump straight to the External Links panel, but being able to assign at least a few of your favorite External Links to a dedicated hotkey makes sense too.

Another user has requested the ability to create predefined filter sets and to access them quickly via hotkey too, and I was thinking a hotkey was actually going to be required here since I hadn't planned ahead and left room on the Icon bar for another section (though I guess I could always go down that path too if required).

I think a hotkey for Unwatched Only/Show All would be nice.

I don't think a hotkey is needed for Settings or Sync (especially since Sync will be depreciated in the future). Not sure about Genres or Categories - I'm sure someone would want those. Ditto for Sort and Search and Advanced Filters. Don't need one for Exit, that hotkey already exists.

So here's the hotkeys I think are needed, including a suggestion for the key combo for each (items in BOLD BLUE are available CMC v3.2):
  • CTRL+K: Show Hot Keys
  • ALT+F: Jump to Movie Library
  • ALT+M: Jump to Music Library
  • ALT+H: Launch the HDHomeRun app
  • ALT+G: Launch the Valve Steam gaming app
  • ALT+P: Jump to Photo Library (future)
  • ALT+V: Jump to Video Library (future)
  • ALT+S: Run a SmartSync (Movie or Music depending upon the current library view)
  • CTRL+0: Open External Links Panel (future)
  • CTRL+1: Launch External Link 1
  • CTRL+2: Launch External Link 2
  • CTRL+3: Launch External Link 3
  • CTRL+4: Launch External Link 4
  • CTRL+5: Launch External Link 6
  • CTRL+6: Launch External Link 8
  • CTRL+7: Launch External Link 9
  • CTRL+8: Launch External Link 10
  • CTRL+9: Launch External Link 11
  • CTRL+Z: Sleep PC

The following Hot Keys are for the Movie Library only:
  • CTRL+E: Show Everything (disable all Filters and show all titles)
  • CTRL+A: Apply MediaType - All
  • CTRL+F: Apply MediaType - Movies
  • CTRL+T: Apply MediaType - TV
  • CTRL+M: Apply MediaType - Music
  • CTRL+D: Apply MediaType - Documentaries
  • CTRL+O: Apply MediaType - Other
  • CTRL+U: Toggle Unwatched Only/Show All
  • CTRL+G: Open Genres
  • CTRL+C: Open Categories
  • CTRL+S: Open Sort
  • CTRL+|: Open Advanced Filters
  • CTRL+W: Toggle Watchlist Only/Show All
  • CTRL+?: Open Search
  • CTRL+{: Open Filter Sets (future)
As far as to the hotkeys themselves, I don't think they need to be of the complex 3-key combo variety (i.e. CTRL+ALT+?). These hotkeys will only work when CMC is running and is focused, so a simpler 2-key combo should be fine (i.e. CTRL+? or ALT+?). Using CTRL for some and ALT for other will allow for some reuse of letters, too - since with both Music and Movies, the letter M will be in hot demand. So for example, perhaps CTRL+M changes to MediaType - Music, while ALT+M could navigate to the Music Library.

And since M is in such hot demand, I was thinking we could use a different letter for anything movie related, like B for Binnerup, since they started us all down this path with My Movies. Though perhaps F for Film makes more sense.

Some testing is probably needed to make sure that none of these key combos do anything currently when CMC is running (besides jumping through the alphabet in the cover rows, I'm probably not filtering out the modifier key).

I'm open to suggestions on better hotkey combos, plus other hotkeys that I didn't list above. I suppose I could also make it configurable so that you could assign or change the hotkeys if you don't like the defaults, though this would certainly be easier if I don't have to make it configurable.

I would like everyone's feedback on this, so feel free to comment.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

I like the idea. I think you'll need some sort of help menu popup so that someone can look up the proper keystroke to navigate across CMC. There are quite a few here to remember them all.

Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm

• CTRL+K: Show Hot Keys

RKEP

Post by RKEP » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi

I did'nt realise the scope of things planned, this is going to be an even more awesome product than I thought! I was only thinking of my immediate needs and didn't want to hit you with too much, just something to start and develope on. Having said that what you are suggesting is great! Hot Keys for all the main control functions means everyone can make remotes to suit there own purpose. The actual settings etc do not necessarily need Hot Keys as I assume people will be sat using there PC and can navigate to those sections and once they are setup won't be needing them for practical use.

What Jamie says about a help menu because of such a big list to remember may be a help to people but if you are making a remote once its done you don't actually need to remember anything so a list contained on the forum would probably be adequate.

I think whatever you see fit as far as the what the Hot Keys are. It dosent really matter as long as there not interfering with something else like a Windows Hot Key

The main purpose for me is when I'm sat in my chair and using CMC watching movies etc, I can get to whatever section I require without navigating through menus. One click on your remote and your there!

Thanks, can't wait!

Richard

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

RKEP wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm I did'nt realise the scope of things planned

Yeah, you and me both. ;)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:31 pm

I have implemented these hotkeys in CMC v3.2. The list has been updated above, with the hotkeys in Bold Blue being in CMC v3.2.

Pauven

Re: [In v3.2] Remote Hot keys

Post by Pauven » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:30 am

I updated the list above with a few additional hotkeys I've added for v3.2.

Also, I must admit I'm really loving these new hotkeys. I'm using them all the time now while testing, and they make CMC feel insanely fast. It's amazing to be able to jump between the Music and Movie libraries in the blink of an eye. Big thanks to Richard for suggesting this idea and getting me going on it.

Paul