Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Player Choice

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
ScareDcrow

Player Choice

Post by ScareDcrow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi

Just wondering if it would be possible/easy to have a different way of selecting players, more at the point of playing the movie/episode/etc.
As I need subtitles (being hard of hearing) I find the resolution of the titles can vary greatly between players.
So (for example) I like to use VNC for playing movies, but every now and then, the subtitles are unreadable so I find myself opening MPC and manually browsing to the directory to play it.....but VNC is normally better than MPC so I don't want to make a permanent change.
Even a button to select a backup player would be awesome

Ok, also......When i play a movie, (click on a movie), then next screen has PLAY highlighted. But when I select a boxset, and then select one of the movies, I have to hit down to highlight PLAY. Its really trivial and minor, but I was thinking equally easy to fix

Tom

Pauven

Re: Player Choice

Post by Pauven » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:40 pm

ScareDcrow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 pm When i play a movie, (click on a movie), then next screen has PLAY highlighted. But when I select a boxset, and then select one of the movies, I have to hit down to highlight PLAY.
Haha, yes. I was wondering when someone would mention this. You're right, this is a trivial fix. I'll add it to the list.

ScareDcrow wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 pm Just wondering if it would be possible/easy to have a different way of selecting players, more at the point of playing the movie/episode/etc.
As I need subtitles (being hard of hearing) I find the resolution of the titles can vary greatly between players.
So (for example) I like to use VNC for playing movies, but every now and then, the subtitles are unreadable so I find myself opening MPC and manually browsing to the directory to play it.....but VNC is normally better than MPC so I don't want to make a permanent change.
Even a button to select a backup player would be awesome
Hmmm. I'll have to think on this one. Perhaps I can configure a trigger, i.e. press a # on your remote when you're hovering on PLAY to bring up an alternate list of players. But this will be a fair amount of work.

I do occasionally change players as-needed, as sometimes I get a disc that won't play proper in PowerDVD, so I switch to MPC in the settings. I don't agree with you that this constitutes a permanent change - it only takes about 10-15 seconds to change the setting, and it applies immediately so you don't have to restart or anything. It's certainly less work than going to MPC manually and browsing to a directory to play something.

So why do you prefer VLC over MPC? I typically find MPC better - in fact there's some future CMC functionality that will only work with MPC. I wonder if there's any way we can get MPC to be your daily driver.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

ScareDcrow

Post by ScareDcrow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Hmmm, OK sure. I'll change to MPC and see how my life goes :-)
Do you use it for Blu-Ray too ?

Nearly always my preferences are on how well subtitles work :-)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 pm

My preference is PowerDVD for DVD's and Blu-rays, unless I encounter issues, then I fallback to MPC.

But I prefer MPC for all TV Episodes, regardless of source: DVD, Blu-ray, UHD 4K.

I also prefer MPC for UHD 4K Blu-ray movies, since it seems to handle playback on my 1080p non-HDR TV better.

The downside to MPC is that you don't get Blu-ray or 4K menus. For TV Series, this is a bonus, as typically those menus are in the way, but for movies I like my disc menus, which is why I prefer the PowerDVD route.

But that's where I get confused on your preference for VLC - I didn't think it did Blu-ray menus, but I'm foggy on that at the moment.

I think MPC can handle some plugin type enhancements on the subtitle text quality, but I've never played with that.

Let me know how it goes, and if this is still a need.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter