Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Added in v5.0] Audio Books

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
Jamie

[Added in v5.0] Audio Books

Post by Jamie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi Paul,

Would it be possible to add audiobooks to the CMC music section of CMC? I have both AA and M4B audiobooks that I currently use in my itunes and audible apps. Audible may be a proprietary file format that you might not ever be able to incorporate into CMC. M4B files is more of a public format for audio books. I could be wrong maybe itunes is the only app that uses it. I doubt that your music development tool allows for these formats but I am wondering if there is another plugin you could use to program audiobooks into CMC? I would really like to at least get rid of itunes for good if possible because apple is phasing it out on the PC.

I think this would have to be a total different section which what itunes did by separating music from audiobooks

Thanks,

Jamie

Pauven

Re: [Feature Request] Audio Books

Post by Pauven » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Hey Jamie,

I checked and M4B is an encrypted file format with DRM. Inside it contains AAC or ALAC, both of which are already supported in CMC. I can add M4B as a supported file extension, though I have my doubts that it will play due to the encryption. Maybe you can do a test: save a copy of one of your M4B audio books with a .aac or .alac extension, scan it with CMC, and then see if it will play. If this doesn't work, then there's no need for me to add it as a supported file extension.

Regarding AA (and the associated AAX and AAXC), this is an Audible file format that can only be listened to with "assigned software". AAXC is the newest format and has currently unbreakable DRM encryption. The BASS audio library does not seem to have any plugins to support any of these formats.

There is an Audible Converter (google it) that can convert your AA/AAX files to MP3, preserving quality and removing protections. If you did that, then the MP3 should play in CMC just fine.

Let me know regarding the M4B test results.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Thanks. I'll do the test tomorrow. I did find an app that can remove the m4b encryption and another app the can convert m4b to mp3. If I did convert m4b to mp3, I would lose some functionality like chapters. I've also investigated other audiobook apps on the PC which play m4b files but they all are no longer available. I guess most people use phones and tablets to play audiobooks and not PCs. What a shame. I also found that VLC and mediaplayer will play m4b files.

Jamie

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:08 pm

Changing to AAC works in CMC. ALAC works in VLC and CMC doesn't seem to recognize that extension. Can you add ALAC and M4B as recognized extensions and I'll try them again. I want to see if Like VLC, CMC will play m4B too.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Will do, thanks for testing.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Re: [Added in v5.0] Audio Books

Post by Pauven » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Hey Jamie,

ALAC and M4B have been added to v5.0.

Paul