Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In early development] Integrated player

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
Teddyboy

[In early development] Integrated player

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:22 pm

I know this is probably pie sky, but I'm going to ask anyway. The main thing I like about Jriver is that the player is completely integrated, and it provides a seamless experience when in theatre view. I know we've discussed this before, and the amount of work it would take to roll your own may be beyond the scope of what your trying to do. In other words, it's complicated. Have you considered the possibility of taking a existing open source project such as MPC and using that as a basis to create your own integrated player? Putting open source licensing issues and Blu-ray menu navigation aside for a moment, it would at least provide a basic framework for a integrated player capable of DVD/Blu-ray episode navigation, Blu-ray, and 4k play back of the main movie. Octane render got around the licensing issue by creating a helper/server application that sat between the two, and it provides for a very seamless experience.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: Integrated player

Post by Pauven » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:32 pm

I've spent hundreds of hours working on an integrated player solution, and it is much harder than it sounds.

While it is nice that there are open source players available, because they are written in another language, they are not plug and play with CMC. And the language that I code in seems to have some challenges with some basic features of DVD/Blu-ray playback.

While I plan to keep working on it, don't get your hopes up.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

No worries Paul. I was just thinking off the top of my head. Obviously you think it has some value otherwise you wouldn’t be spending time on it. I’m not holding my breath at all, and it may be a dead end. I know it’s not easy.

Back in the day I used to use LMRemote keymapper. It’s abandonware now. I found the last version and downloaded it. It installs on my pc so I’m going to play with it to see if I can get MPC, and jriver properly mapped to my mce remote. That requires two profiles and I’d have to map a couple of remote keys to run the batch files when I want to use one player or the other. If I can get this to work the ideal situation would be to have CMC run the bat file to bring in the correct profile when I click play. Yes I like to break things. :)
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 am

Personally I find the MPC remote controls very odd. MPC does have a built-in keymapper, so you can reconfigure and reassign actions as you see fit. I've been able to do this quite successfully. The oddest thing is the FastForward/Rewind behavior is so different than any other program, I don't know why they did it this way.

I definitely recommend playing with MPC's keymappings before using 3rd party tools. One less thing to get in the way.

I don't know much about JRiver, but perhaps it haps a built-in keymapping too...

One last comment on an integrated player. The time I've spent working on developing this is time not spent working on core CMC features. For that reason, I've put on hold this effort to instead focus on finishing the core functionality of CMC.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 am

MPC key mappings are very odd. I’m going to look at the key mappings inside MPC and see if I can adapt it to better fit the remote. If I can do that, then I won’t bother with a third party app. What did you do?

I’ll have to look at jriver and see about their key mappings. If they just supported title and chapter playback for DVDs, then using just one player would really simplify things. It’s always something. Maybe I should put a request in for that.

No worries about the player. It’s just wishful thinking on my part. That’s a long term matter that you’ll have to investigate. CMC is still very young. I’d rather have you work on core functionality.