Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[CLOSED] MM Browser totally failing

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Gilles2

[CLOSED] MM Browser totally failing

Post by Gilles2 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Paul,
I experience a critical issue today: during the day I Added a few titles to my MyMovies database.
This evening, I tried to Sync the MM Browser to include those updates. Surprisingly, suddenly MM Browser was showing only 22 titles where I used to have around 300. Among those titles, a lot were also showing no cover, etc.
I therefore went to Settings and deleted the MMBrowser data to do a full Sync. The Sync failed (never started and program hang). I had to kill the task. Now, each time I start MM Browser, it displays the welcome screen, asking to perform a full Sync to get started, but I can't go further : the program is not responding (no way to navigate with the keyboard), and only way to get out is to kill the task.
I restarted my PC with no change.
I checked, and there seems to be no issue with MyMovies data.

How should I proceed? Should I try to uninstall MM Browser and re-install?

FYI, I am running the last build.

Pauven

Re: MM Browser totally failing

Post by Pauven » Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 pm

That's very odd. I've never heard of such behavior before.

I think you are on the right path, go ahead and re-download MM Browser and copy over the executable.

If that doesn't work, then my second suggestion would be to delete (or rename) the MMBrowser.cfg file. Maybe the config file got corrupted, causing the issues.

The third suggestion is to enable Debug Logging before running the sync. I have seen where some weird My Movies meta-data can freak out the Sync, and maybe just maybe one of the new titles you added has some weird data. The debug log should help us track that down.

300 titles isn't too many, I've got a few users with collections in the 5k-10k range, so adding a few titles shouldn't be the cause.

Please let me know - I'm here to help.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue May 01, 2018 4:57 pm

I would delete the cache folder and the MMB_SmartSync.bin, MMBrowserDB.xml files too. Any one of these can get corrupted.

Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 am

Jamie is right. Though rare, if those files become corrupted then they can cause sync processing issues. They are safe to delete, as the sync will rebuild.

The cache folder most likely couldn't cause any problem like this, but it too is safe to delete as the sync will rebuild.

Another thought: Any chance you just upgraded your Windows 10 to the brand new April 2018 1803 update? I've started reading about some reports of freezing with the update, currently associated with using Metro Apps and Chrome together. There's a chance it could affect MM Browser, but I have no idea as I haven't tested it.

Michael is the only user I know for sure who has installed 1803. He had issues with My Movies blocking the update, but so far hasn't reported on how MM Browser works - still waiting to hear from him.

Paul

Gilles2

Post by Gilles2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am

I followed the first route, eg just re-downloading the source file for MM Browser, and it started to run as expected again.
For your record, the initial failure happened before I any upgrade to le 1803 version of Win 10. BTW, I have now upgraded Win10, and I experience no specific issue with MM Browser.

Thanks for your support.

Gilles

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

Very good, glad it all worked out, and I'm happy to hear it is working fine with Win10 1803.

Odd that the program file got corrupted. You may want to run the various SMART reports on your hard drive to make sure it isn't failing.

I'll go ahead and close this ticket.

Thanks,
Paul