Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[RESOLVED] Need help with 4.0

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
klpaint

[RESOLVED] Need help with 4.0

Post by klpaint » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:14 am

I am a long time user of CMC. I went to watch a movie tonight and in the process it looks like I upgraded to 4.0 and everything quit working. I have read a couple of appends but I am missing something.

I probably need to start with the basics. What should be running where? I have a movie "server" that has My Movies and a separate movie Client. It was working with the previous version of CMC with the exporter running on the server and CMC running on the client. After the upgrade everything has stopped working.

I guess my first question is, with the new 4.0, what is supposed to be running where? Are there still pieces running on both the server and the client?

Is there a link to something that can show me how to migrate to the new version? I found two forum entries but the links are broken in both.

Do I run the new CMC Media Center from the Movie Server or from the Client (or both)? It looks like it tried to run from the client but I ended up with over 1500 question marks for movies.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. The upgrade left me in an unusable state....

Thanks,

Kevin

Pauven

Re: Need help with 4.0

Post by Pauven » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 am

Hi Kevin,

There's a two part answer to your question.

Short term, just to get back up and running, you can disable the new Chameleon CentralController. To do this, in CMC go to:

Settings > Chameleon CentralController

Then Disable the first option, "Use Chameleon CentralController (CCC)" and Save.

Then close and restart CMC. You will be back to the legacy folder scanning functionally you are used to.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:11 am

Now, the second part of the answer.

Long term, you will want to use Chameleon CentralController, also known as CCC. This is a direct feed of My Movies data to CMC. It is better than using CME in almost every way.

But there is some setup that you need to do. You asked some really great questions, and it turns out they are all answered in the new Chameleon CentralController support forum:
Please follow the tutorials top to bottom, from 101 to 401.

Each tutorial has a "TL;DR" section in blue at the top - this stands for "Too Long; Didn't Read". This is a very short summary of each tutorial that you can read in a couple minutes.

If you like short and quick instructions, then just read the TL;DR sections at the top of each tutorial. If you prefer knowing more, then read the full tutorial.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 am

One last thing:

I'm sorry that v4.0 broke after upgrading, and you were unable to get to your collection last night.

But, this break was on purpose! It was designed to break, in order to get your attention. And it succeeded!

CCC is really great, and pretty much everyone is going to prefer using it. But I feared that if I left CMC in the legacy folder scanning mode, using data exported from CME, then users might not even realize CCC exists. Believe it or not, there are still users out there that have yet to discover or try CME!

So this was a wake-up call to all users, CCC has arrived!

Hopefully you will forgive me for ruining 🍿 Movie Night 🎥, especially after you see how big an improvement that CCC delivers!

Paul

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:37 am

klpaint wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:14 am Is there a link to something that can show me how to migrate to the new version? I found two forum entries but the links are broken in both.
Thank you for pointing out that the link was broken. It should be fixed now. It's also the same link I posted above.