Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v4.1] Box sets showing up in multiple places.

Chameleon CentralController (CCC) is used to export My Movies metadata directly to CMC's Movie DB, and manage User Accounts and Parental Restrictions, and tracks Watch History and WatchLists on a per-user basis.
klpaint

[Fixed in v4.1] Box sets showing up in multiple places.

Post by klpaint » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:04 pm

I am not sure if this belongs in CCC or CMC forum. Please let me know if I need to move it.

I have migrated to Version 4.0 and have CCC running on the MyMovie Server and CMC running on the Movie Client. On the client when I go through the movies I have situation like the following with Breaking Bad.

I have a "Box" that has the 6 Breaking Bad DVD's in it (see screen shots below). I also have 5 of the 6 Breaking Bad DVD's on the main screen. When I go into the Breaking Bad "Box" the following is listed on the first screen and then if I do "View" discs all 6 are listed there.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (281.91 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (217.4 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (448.99 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
The image above is when I click on "View Discs"

What I am trying to figure out is what controls which ones are in the "Box" and on the main screen. Ideally I would like to have just the "Box" on the main screen and all the DVD's listed in it.

I am guessing something in My Movies but nothing is jumping out at me. The TV Series Box is Blue on all of them.

I actually have similar problems with anything that is in this format but I am guessing if I can figure it out for this one the rest will be a similar solution.

Thanks,

Kevin

Pauven

Re: Box sets showing up in multiple places.

Post by Pauven » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:15 am

Belonging to a TV Series is what controls it.

Please enable debug logging, then pick any random title and toggle the Watchlist status (use * to toggle) or toggle the Watched status (ESC or Clear). You can toggle twice to get back to the original state. Then you can turn off logging.

In the program folder, a new file will have been created, CMC_MovieDB.XML. Please zip that up and send to me.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 am

I got the DB XML file, thanks.

Do a test export for me in CCC. Type Breaking Bad into the export filter box, then click Full Export. Note that normally a Full Export would wipe out your DB and start from scratch, but if you type something into the text box, it will do a full export of just what matches, and append it to your existing DB file (pretty handy, right?!).

I think in the output we will see something along the lines of no episodes exported, changing Media Type to Other.

Paste the full log output from Breaking Bad here.

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:46 am

That was very cool... I really like V4.0. Here is the log file.

Thanks!
Attachments
CCC Export Breaking Bad.txt
(19.71 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks Kevin. That was just as I expected.

I recently added a feature to CCC that if a TV Series did not have episodes mapped, then it would override the Media Type from TV Series to Other. I did this because I had a single season TV Series, Dynasties, that wasn't showing in CMC. I realized it was because the episodes were not mapped, so only the disc title was exporting, and the Series & Episode info were not exporting (and couldn't export, because that data didn't exist in My Movies).

In CMC, Disc Titles that belong to a Series automatically nest inside the TV Series. But if the Series doesn't export, then the discs disappear because the Series is missing. The Disc Title data is in CMC, but there's no way to get to it without the Series.

My solution was to change the Media Type to Other, which disables the nesting behavior.

What I hadn't considered was what happens when you have a hybrid scenario, like what you have for Breaking Bad. You have 6 Disc Titles for Breaking Bad (two copies of Season 5, one Blu-ray the other DVD). 5 of the 6 are missing the mappings, so they override to Media Type Other. This would have been perfect, except your other copy of Season 5 is mapped! Because that one Disc Title is mapped, you get the Series data exported.

So you end up with this weird hybrid, where the 5 discs that were missing episode mappings were overridden to Other so they display on the main cover rows, but they also show inside the TV Series group because they belong to that series. And you see the Series box set because that 1 season 5 Disc Title had episode mappings and the Series data to export.

How to Fix on Your End
Since your original question was how to fix this on your end, the answer is one of the following:

A) Map at least 1 episode on each of the other 5 Disc Titles, so they all nest inside the TV Series

OR

B) Remove all episode mappings on that Season 5 Disc Title, so the Series metadata won't export, you won't see the Series box set, and none will nest

Potential Changes in CCC/CMC
I can't help but think I should make a change in CCC or CMC to handle this hybrid scenario better. At the moment, the right solution is eluding me.

I'm thinking the right answer is to get rid of the Media Type override to Other in CCC, and instead add a new check in CMC that if a Disc Title is a TV Series and the parent Series is missing, to display the Disc Title. I think that gets to the root of the problem, that these titles were being hidden from view. I think that will work better than my Media Type override fix, which has too many negative side-effects.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:43 am

By the way, I just noticed that you are still running MM v5.25. To get the most out of CCC, you need to upgrade to 5.30 or newer.

But (and this is a big butt), Binnerup made a change in 5.31 that changes how some dates are exported. I'm still on 5.30 myself, so I don't know the impact of these date changes yet - it might break some change detection functionality in CCC/CME v4.0. So you may want to hold off on 5.31 for the moment.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am

Pauven wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:24 am Potential Changes in CCC/CMC
I can't help but think I should make a change in CCC or CMC to handle this hybrid scenario better. At the moment, the right solution is eluding me.

I'm thinking the right answer is to get rid of the Media Type override to Other in CCC, and instead add a new check in CMC that if a Disc Title is a TV Series and the parent Series is missing, to display the Disc Title. I think that gets to the root of the problem, that these titles were being hidden from view. I think that will work better than my Media Type override fix, which has too many negative side-effects.
I've made this change, and I am happy with the result. TV Series discs now stay as Media Type "TV Series" on export.

Then in CMC, I auto-nest the TV Series Disc Titles if their linked TV Series was imported into CMC, otherwise the Disc Title will be shown. Best of both worlds.

This will be in v4.1, which will be a fairly small, mostly bug-fix related release, coming soon.

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:48 am

Sounds awesome. I have held off on any changes on my end as I am upgrading my server over the weekend. As part of that upgrade I will get current on Windows and on MyMovies. I will install 4.1 as soon as you release it and can report back after that. Why do I think I am about to have a long weekend (smile). Thanks again for all the help.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 am

How did your server upgrade go? Feel free to post about your new hardware here, I think many users (myself included) would be interested to know what path you chose: https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/forums/?w3= ... BocD9mPTE2