Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Added in v5.0] Multiple Music Libraries

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
Jamie

[Added in v5.0] Multiple Music Libraries

Post by Jamie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi Paul,

I have 3 different "Music Libraries" that I try to keep separate from each other.

1. Music. Mp3, flac files

2. Speeches . Mp3 files

3. Audio Books. M4B and AA files

Is it or could it be possible for CMC to allow for separate libraries so that I can separate Music from speeches or spoken word? I would also like to have a library for audiobooks but I will add another request for that library.

Jamie

Jamie

Re: [Feature Request] Multiple Music Libraries

Post by Jamie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:03 pm

Genres and map genres sort of work for me but the biggest reason that I want to separate music and speeches or spoken word is that speeches almost never have artwork associated with them. This makes the screensaver and music albums look ugly. if you could allow a super genre to separate Music from speeches, or whatever other "library" genre people might have, like MP3 audiobooks, I think that would work. Is that possible?

The other audiobook request is a total different ball of wax. I think that would have to be a total different section which what itunes did by separating music from audiobooks.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Let me see if I got this right:

Genres are good for separating music from spoken word / speeches, but the missing artwork lowers your enjoyment of the music album covers and screensaver.

So by "Super Genre" you mean an even higher roll-up. So Pop and Rock and Jazz and Blues and Folk all roll up inside "Music", and Speeches and Spoken Word roll up inside Spoken Word, and Audio Books roll up inside Books. When you enter the Music Library, it can be defaulted to "Music", and the covers and screensaver are restricted to Music. But you can swap to Spoken or Audio Books to see those sub-genres, which are normally hidden from Music.

Right?
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:41 pm

Pauven wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:39 pm Let me see if I got this right:

Genres are good for separating music from spoken word / speeches, but the missing artwork lowers your enjoyment of the music album covers and screensaver.
That's correct
Pauven wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:39 pm
So by "Super Genre" you mean an even higher roll-up. So Pop and Rock and Jazz and Blues and Folk all roll up inside "Music", and Speeches and Spoken Word roll up inside Spoken Word, and Audio Books roll up inside Books. When you enter the Music Library, it can be defaulted to "Music", and the covers and screensaver are restricted to Music. But you can swap to Spoken or Audio Books to see those sub-genres, which are normally hidden from Music.

Right?

What I would like to do is some how separate Music and spoken word. Spoken word could include audiobooks. Someone else might want audiobooks to be separate though. This would be the so called super genre or whatever better name you can come up with. Music would include all the music genres like rock, heavy metal.... jazz, country, folk.... Spoken word would include lectures, speeches, audiobooks for me. Someone else might want to break these up differently.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 pm

The reason why I think I need a higher level for genres is that there are so many music genres and spoken word just doesn't seem to work well with music. It Makes the artwork look awful too and I have too many spoken word mp3s to add artwork to in order to make it look better.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm

I'll take a look at this, and see what it would take to implement.

I'm also considering a more basic alternative, that I could let you define a list of Genres that don't get included in the unfiltered display. So you can have Lectures, Speeches, Spoken Word, and Audiobooks all excluded from displaying by default, and to see them you would have to select that Genre for display. And since the screensaver only works with the currently shown titles, this approach fixes both the default album covers and screensaver.

Essentially these are very similar fixes, but the second approach may get me out of a jam - I never designed the GUI with multiple Categories (probably a better term than Super Genres) in mind or a way to switch between them, so I'm not quite sure how I would implement this. Though if I did go with the Categories approach, it would probably work similar to Categories in the Movie Library (Movies/TV/Docs/Music/Other).

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks Paul,

I know that you will figure something out. Thank you for considering to find a solution.

Jamie

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Pauven wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm
Essentially these are very similar fixes, but the second approach may get me out of a jam - I never designed the GUI with multiple Categories (probably a better term than Super Genres) in mind or a way to switch between them, so I'm not quite sure how I would implement this. Though if I did go with the Categories approach, it would probably work similar to Categories in the Movie Library (Movies/TV/Docs/Music/Other).
Categories may be do what I want. I have been playing around with my movie collection and I wonder if a filter would help?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:27 pm

What kind of filter?

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Music, spoken word, Audiobook, or whatever. You choose the filter or filters you want and it just displays the selections you choose. I am just throwing this out. Categories as you expressed them should work. Filters give you a option to combine them together, or not.