Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

TV Tuners

Show off your HTPC builds, NAS Servers, and any other hardware. Great place to ask for hardware help too.
bennetwa

TV Tuners

Post by bennetwa » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:33 pm

I have a Windows 10 HTPC running WMC which I had to re-install after installing the current 22H2 update. This is the 2nd time I have had to reinstall WMC and like the idea of switching to CMC to hopefully avoid any future Window's update breaking my HTPC (which I know isn't guaranteed even if CMC is installed, but probably less likely than if I continue running WMC). Anyway, I have Hauppage 2250 TV tuner PCIe card installed and wondering if CMC will support this card or just the Silicone Dust-Homerun external setup? Thank you.

Pauven

Re: TV Tuners

Post by Pauven » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:44 pm

Hey bennetwa,

CMC mostly functions as a central hub, launching other programs, apps, and even websites.

That's how it works with the HD Homerun, it launches that app.

Does Hauppage have a standalone app? If so, it's super easy to configure CMC to work with it. I'm happy to help get it set up.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

bennetwa

Post by bennetwa » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:28 pm

Hello Paul,

Yes, there is a stand alone app called WinTV, but I haven't used in years. Hopefully they've updated the GUI.

I wasn't aware that that's how CMC operates. I guess WMC was kind of doing the same thing when it had the ability to open outside streaming apps, i.e., Amazon, Hulu, and Netflex. I even had the Kylo browser installed and really liked that feature too. I understand CMC can do all that and more, so I'll have to go back and re-read more carefully about all it's "bells and whistles," before making a final decision.

Thanks for responding and the offer of help.
Bennett

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:44 pm

I have attempted to fully integrate HDHomerun into CMC, using their software development kit. While I can get it barely working, it always goes haywire after a few minutes of playback. While I would love a more integrated look and feel an integrated app, it's a pretty big showstopper if it simply doesn't work for more than a few minutes. While I might be doing something wrong, my gut tells me it's my development tools that are failing here.

With WMC, Microsoft was big enough to cajole other vendors into developing for their platform. So I don't think MS actually embedded those solutions into WMC, but rather created an ecosystem that permitted it, and was able to convince these companies to providing plug-in solutions.

Unfortunately, CMC is small potatoes compared to WMC, and even if I created a plugin system, it's doubtful any company would develop for it. That means it falls on me to try and do this myself. Beyond just the challenges of such an undertaking, these efforts detract from my ability to continue developing other aspects of CMC.

For these reasons, I have tried very hard to make CMC very good at launching other apps, instead of trying to rewrite every other app inside CMC. The external links launcher, combined with hotkeys, makes CMC a very powerful hub. If you have a true RC6 compatible remote, you can even use the advanced remote programmer to launch and interact with other apps even when CMC is not running.

Of course, you're still at the mercy of other vendors and their apps, which often are atrocious to look at and use, and many work poorly with a remote. The advanced remote programmer can help a bit with that last issue though, if you're lucky enough to have an RC6 remote and are willing to spend the time to configure it.

There are other apps that work with Hauppage tuners, and they may work better than WinTV. Here's a page listing some options: https://alternativeto.net/software/wintv/ Whichever app you settle on, it's easy to configure CMC to launch it.

Obviously the glory days of HTPC's are behind us now. The death of WMC didn't just affect Microsoft's HTPC solution, it had ripple effects throughout the entire industry, much of which slowly transpired over the following years. For example, YouTube used to have an awesome HTPC remote optimized web page that existed for solutions like WMC, and it worked awesome with CMC, at least until that fateful day Google retired it. Now it's nearly impossible to use YouTube without a mouse or touch.

I continue to research, develop, and test workarounds and solutions, and I still have the desire to make CMC even better. But for now, it's best to get well acquainted with CMC's launcher.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter