Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v7.0] Access Violation on TV Series Episode Playback

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Manni

Re: Access Violation

Post by Manni » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:48 am

Yes don’t worry if that’s the case, the way I want to use it is still how it was set (on play), but either it stopped working or more likely I had never tested it with TV series until recently. I only use “On CMC start” for now as a workaround to the tv series exception fault bug.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:11 am

Please check to see if there is an error message pop-up hiding in the background.

I've reviewed the code, and it seems highly likely that the only way it would hang at this point is if there was an error message that needed to be dismissed. It's been an ongoing issue with CMC's GUI that pop-up messages often are hiding behind the GUI.

Probably the best way to check is to try doing ALT-Tab or CTRL-Tab, keeping the ALT/CTRL key pressed and looking at the thumbnail screen images, quite often you will see the CMC one has an error message that you can't actually get to.

Another way is to Alt-Tab away from the GUI so that the Windows taskbar is visible again, and then hovering over the CMC taskbar icon, you might see the error message in that thumbnail.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Manni

Post by Manni » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:40 am

Sorry I had already checked that, there is no hidden message. I double checked again just now, using ctrl-tab, the error on my screenshot is the only error from CMC when this happens.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Ok, thanks.

I think the problem is with the Disc # parameter I am passing to the function. Instead of passing a valid value like 0 or 1, I think it might be passing a -1 for episodes. That would explain the access violation, where it is trying to access memory location 0000000, which always represents trying to access something that simply doesn't exist. Since -1 doesn't exist, it would generate that error. It could also be that the code is trying to access 0 (the first location) and that location doesn't exist, perhaps there are zero discs associated with these episodes.

For Walking Dead, I see the path is in S1 D1, is that really a disc, or just a folder with converted episode files that happens to be named like a disc folder?

Manni

Post by Manni » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:09 pm

All my titles are full 1:1 rips in dvd, bd or uhd bd folders (except 3d bluray as ISOs to save space).

So there are always discs in CM, with the corresponding chapters.

Never files.

Pauven

Re: Access Violation on TV Series Episode Playback

Post by Pauven » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:48 pm

I've been digging into this issue today, and I've found the problem. I was close in my earlier guess, it's related to the Disc #, but the problem isn't that I'm passing a -1, but rather that I'm passing a real Disc ID of 0, and there are no discs for TV Series.

Technically, it's not true that there's no discs for TV Series - after all, the TV Series I'm testing with is on disc. But the problem is that the disc data lives on a separate record for the disc title, and not on this TV Series record. Since there's no disc data, when my code tries to access it (based upon the horrible assumption it exists), then the Access Violation occurs.

Once that happens, the code stops, and playback never occurs. And yes, this is inside of the WOL function, so that's why turning off WOL fixed the issue.

A code fix should be pretty easy, I'll get started on it.

Manni

Post by Manni » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:51 pm

Thanks Paul, I was just wondering if there was any update on this.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:13 pm

Sure. I just got it working. I also did a code tweak to eliminate a redundant path validation check, so it should start playback slightly faster.

This will be in the next version. I'll let you know when a beta is available.

Manni

Re: [Fixed, Version TBD] Access Violation on TV Series Episode Playback

Post by Manni » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:15 pm

Great thanks!

Any chance you’ll also get rid of the CMC pop up on windows start that I reported a while ago?

Pauven

Re: [Fixed, Version TBD] Access Violation on TV Series Episode Playback

Post by Pauven » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:08 pm

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on that topic. I went back and scanned my emails and the posts here, and couldn't find the one you're talking about. Can you point me in the right direction?