Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[CLOSED] Media Type - Question Relating to Home Videos

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
pks

[CLOSED] Media Type - Question Relating to Home Videos

Post by pks » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Paul,
Hope you had a good Christmas.

Having now got to the point where I have all my movies and music added and things seem to be working pretty well, I've decided it would be a handy addition to add my personal home movies (videos). Back when I used WMC, I would select Videos instead of Movies and my home videos folder was mapped to WMC Videos.

I first tried to code within MyMovies a few of my home videos using the Personal Category approach. When testing it out in CMC, I was easily able to see the new category code, "Home Movies", using your Filter By Category. But then I realized that when CMC starts up, it defaults to showing All Categories. I don't really want to see my home videos among all my real commercial movie titles. So then I thought I could maybe not use a Category approach, but use the MyMovies Media Type to code my home movies as Other so that I could then use your Filter By Media Type where I could better select to filter by showing Movies or choose to filter by showing Other Media Types (my home videos). Thing is, I believe your system will always start up by defaulting to Filtering By All Media Types and again I would be seeing my home movies mixed in among all my commercial movies.

Perhaps there are better ways to get what I'm after. But if not, I could see that it would be beneficial if you added to your Settings screen an option where a person could select the Media Type they want as the CMC start-up default.

I'm posting here in "Support" in case a feature request might not be necessary.

Thanks, Pete

Pauven

Re: Media Type - Question Relating to Home Videos

Post by Pauven » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Hey Pete,

I don't think the feature you're looking for exists in CMC yet. Seems to me it would be a pain to add your home videos to My Movies, and as you discovered that then mixes your home videos in with all your other My Movies titles.

I think a better solution here would be for me to add a 3rd mode to CMC: Video Library in addition to the current Movie Library and Music Library. It wouldn't require mymovies.xml meta-data files. This is actually something I'm already planning to do, but I don't have a date or version # in mind yet. My plan is to get the Movie and Music Libraries finished before I start adding additional modes like videos, so it could be quite a while before I get to this.

I do see a benefit to adding a 'Default Media Type Filter' so that you can have CMC start up in Movie or TV Series mode, instead of All Media Types. That would allow you to use your current approach of adding your home videos to MMCM, and flagging them as 'Other'. If this is something you want, go ahead and submit a request for it. I think I could add that without too much trouble.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

pks

Re: Media Type - Question Relating to Home Videos

Post by pks » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:05 pm

I understand Paul. Thanks.
I think I’ll submit the request you mentioned in your last paragraph.
Pete