Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Titles with an & do not show up in CMC

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Jamie

Titles with an & do not show up in CMC

Post by Jamie » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm

Hi Paul,

I have a Mymovies title "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" that would not show up in CMC. I noticed the & in all the titles and changed all the titles including the sort title with "and" making the titles "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". When I did that the title showed up in CMC. The original mymovies creator of the title entered the "&" and the moderators accepted the Title with the &. I don't care whether this is fixed or not because I knew when I saw it that the & is probably the culprit. Since mymovies is accepting the special characters shouldn't this be fixed in CMC? It doesn't appear that CCC choked on the &.

Pauven

Re: Titles with an & do not show up in CMC

Post by Pauven » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:17 pm

That seems odd.

I know I've specifically tested titles with ampersands, as I have to do something special to make the & show up, so these were definitely working in the past.

I also just checked my collection, and I have 26 titles with ampersands showing in CMC. I compared against my collection data in My Movies, and everything is correct.

While I do have a few titles with & missing (when I do a CMC search for "&" in the Title), it's because they are inside a collection. For example, Fast & Furious is missing because it's inside a collection called "The Fast and the Furious", so searching for & makes it look like that title is missing. This is a behavior I plan to fix in the future. This is not an & issue, but rather a search issue not being able to look inside collections.

So there does not appear to be an issue with & as far as I can tell. I'm not sure why changing the name to replace & with "and" made a difference for you, but I think the issue is something else.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:32 pm

Did you check the mymovies sort field? My cmc collection heavily relies on the sort field in my movies. I wonder if it could have been overlooked. A lot of people seem to ignore that field.

All I know is that I only removed the ampersand from all the titles including the sort and the title finally popped up! I made no other changes. I can only report what I did and what I saw.

CCC was run with the emphasis on a partial title "willy wonka" both times before i made the change and after and it picked up both disks in the title with no problems.. I am really sure it was cmc that has the issue. I did enter a partial title "willy" to find it in cmc. The first time I could not find it even though I searched all the W's. The second time it was there. I don't use collections because I don't know how they make my experience any better than what it is now.

If the sort in you collection has an ampersand than I say, forget it. I have no issue with replacing the & with typing "and"

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:37 pm

Here's "21 & Over" in My Movies, and it appears in CMC for me:
image.png
image.png (432.72 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:58 pm

I put the ampersand back in "&" it appears to be working. If it happens or appears to happen again I will immediately take screenshots of what I see or not see. My eyesight is not the greatest I must admit. Sorry to waste your time.
willy wonka cmc.jpg
willy wonka cmc.jpg (738.15 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
willy wonka CCC.jpg
willy wonka CCC.jpg (586.05 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:52 am

No worries, I'm glad it is working for you now.

I'm sure something odd was going on, but I just can't imagine what it was. So definitely keep an eye out for any weirdness in the future, and don't hesitate to let me know.