Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

MYMovies windows collection management going away soon?

Talk about and get help for your favorite media players, like MPC, PowerDVD, DVDFab Player, JRiver, VLC, PotPlayer, and more!
Jamie

MYMovies windows collection management going away soon?

Post by Jamie » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:27 pm

Looks like all windows support for mymovies is going away. See Brian's response.

https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=47405

Pauven

Re: MYMovies windows collection management going away soon?

Post by Pauven » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:01 pm

I read that a few times, and I think it's possible that you've misunderstood what Brian so poorly wrote.
Binnerup wrote:It is actually in our plans to remove the support from the Windows side, as it prevents us from using any later .NET Frameworks in our common classes.
The .NET framework is primarily a Windows framework, no? So why would Windows support prevent them from using more recent .NET frameworks?

I think what Brian was trying to communicate was that they plan to remove support for Windows Media Center. That actually makes lots of sense, as since WMC is so ancient, the .NET framework to support it would also be quite old, and would block adopting newer frameworks.

It's possible that I'm giving him too much credit, and your literal understanding of what he wrote could be correct. But it just makes more sense that he's ripping out the old WMC code, so MM wouldn't be based around that, somewhat addressing that user's complaint. I think this is something they've stated before.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:21 pm

I hope you are right. I have noticed that there has been no updates to the last beta 5.41 since September 2022. Seems like they just stopped doing any collection management work with little desire to finish it... I haven't been following .net development in a while but when I recover from a recent surgery I will start working with it. I have heard that MS is considering to turn windows into a cloud OS like chromeOS but I haven't heard any news on that in a while

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:16 pm

While I'm sure that MS is working on a cloud OS solution, I doubt even they would be dumb enough to abandon the huge Windows population that demands a classical on-device local OS.

It would be the same type of mistake they made with the X-Box Series X, when they first announced it would be cloud only with no disc support. Even though that was probably the right decision for the X-Box, huge consumer pushback forced them to add an optical drive back in and support physical media.

My expectation would be that MS would be timid to make the same mistake again and would only offer a cloud OS as an alternative, not a forced replacement.

From my own experience, gutting features often breaks core code, making it a very time-consuming endeavor. Perhaps Binnerup is working on the next MM version, but since they are gutting features (i.e. WMC) and upgrading the .NET framework, it's taking longer to work through all of the code breaks. And since MM desktop is definitely not their income source anymore, I'm sure whatever work that is done on it is on the side when they have free time.

Regardless, it honestly doesn't bother me. As long as MM doesn't break, I don't really need a new version, what I have now works well enough. Seems like it could work fine as-is for many years.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:49 pm

yes, I see your point. I just hope that they keep the windows mymovies collection management tool that they now have and don't break it, or remove it. It still serves a purpose in that people still use it to add movies and series to the mymovies db collection which to me is a source of revenue. I tend to worry about my investments and I have a big investment in the mymovies app and cmc too. This investment includes time and money and if my method of adding movies and series to cmc should go away I would consider that a tremendous loss.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm

I agree 10000%.