Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Airfoil whole-house audio streaming from your PC

Helpful advice for getting the most out of Chameleon MediaCenter
Pauven

Airfoil whole-house audio streaming from your PC

Post by Pauven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 am

Pauven wrote:NOTE: This is not a sponsored post, just a freely shared tip from one of our fellow CMC users. I thought this solution sounded really great, so I decided to do a full write up. I've never used this software myself, though user Chefpj says this works great for him.
-Paul

This tip comes from user Chefpj who discovered that with the Rogue Amoeba Airfoil software he was able to stream music from CMC to his Apple AirPlay:
Chefpj wrote:I thought you should know I got CMC streaming to my AirPort Express using Airfoil. Works like a charm... AirPort Express is an Apple wireless access point that has a 3.5 mm audio out port so through the wireless network I can send music to the AirPort and then on to my B&W Zeppelin speaker in my kitchen.

Airfoil is software the runs on your Windows (Mac too) PC and can redirect your audio to anywhere on your network. From their website:
Rogue Amoeba wrote:Use Airfoil to send audio from your computer to outputs anywhere on your network. Hear your music through thousands of devices, including AirPlay hardware, Google Chromecast hardware, Sonos devices, and Bluetooth speakers and headphones. With the free companion Airfoil Satellite apps, iOS devices and even other Macs and PCs are supported as well!

Chefpj's tip really caught my attention, since I have several Sonos speakers in my house. I typically control streaming from my phone using the Sonos app, and usually with Pandora's free streaming with has commercials and little control over what plays. But with Airfoil, I could queue up my own music in CMC and stream to the whole house.

Here's some more info from Rogue Amoeba's website:

Airfoil Sends to Hardware Receivers
Use Airfoil to stream audio from your computer to these compatible hardware devices:

image.png
image.png (103.05 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
AirPlay Devices
Apple's HomePod and AppleTV, as well as third-party AirPlay hardware from dozens of manufacturers

image.png
image.png (114.18 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Google Chromecast & More
Google's Chromecasts and Home devices, as well as Cast-enabled TVs and speakers made by third-parties

image.png
image.png (92.26 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Sonos Speakers
Sonos's AirPlay 2 compatible hardware, as well as older hardware grouped with a newer device

image.png
image.png (68.17 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Bluetooth Speakers
Speakers, headphones, and headsets that receive audio via Bluetooth
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter