Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Win10 getting DTS:X and Enhancements for Dolby Atmos

Post here to suggest ideas for future versions.
Pauven

Win10 getting DTS:X and Enhancements for Dolby Atmos

Post by Pauven » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 am

While Microsoft is busy taking away features for legacy Windows versions, Windows 10 is getting some noteworthy new features.

DTS:X, which is an object-based surround sound format, is coming soon to Windows 10 via the DTS:X Ultra app.

Additionally, the already available Dolby Atmos app (free for home theaters) is getting some improvements, though it's not yet clear what exactly those enhancements will be for the PC.

For more info, check out this WFCTech article: https://wccftech.com/windows-10-pc-xbox ... dtsx-soon/

To me this adds up to just one more reason to migrate a HTPC to Windows 10.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Re: Win10 getting DTS:X and Enhancements for Dolby Atmos

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm

I think powerdvd already had this feature? I could be wrong. Wouldn't DTS X: on Windows provide more functionality to you, (the developer), if they supplied an SDK for you to develop your own media player?

Okay No Atmos, or DTS:X in powerdvd 18. I guess Cyberlink needs that SDK first :D

Here are the specs:

https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/cybe ... and-4k-hdr

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm thinking it might open up DTS:X to other players, beyond PowerDVD.

Also, I think PowerDVD's support is bit-streaming only, so technically you have to have an external receiver to process it.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be of Win10 decoding of a DTS:X signal, but it's still awesome in my book.

It's also possible that I'm misunderstanding the impact of this development. It might be that this allows Windows games to output to a DTS:X format, which is awesome if true.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I do think MS is directing this more at the gamer market, but maybe that is why Powerdvd 18 doesn't seem to have atmos which I thought that they did have until I read those specs.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Pauven wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm
Also, I think PowerDVD's support is bit-streaming only, so technically you have to have an external receiver to process it.
You're right as always