Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

I’m going over to the dark side! :-)

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Teddyboy

I’m going over to the dark side! :-)

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Well I’ve finally decided to do away with windows media center and MyMovies as the front end. I still run collection management and have the back end running on my Server Essentials 2016 box that I just set up. Those are paid for and are good tools for maintaining my collection. I’ve been running media center since forever (XP days), and for some reason TMT5 just stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled TMT5, but I came with up snake eyes both times. I do have my activation code which is legit. The activation code works, but TMT would just hang when it would start to load. I’ve managed to keep Media Center going for a long time. A couple of years back I bought a tivo, then I stripped MCE down to just MyMovies and music using mce reset toolbox.

I’m going to buy a liscense for CMC and PowerDVD 18 Ultra today. Media center will be completely removed from my Windows7 htpc and the new apps installed to replace them.

Anything that I should look out for during configuration?
Here I go! Lol
😁
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: I’m going over to the dark side! :-)

Post by Pauven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Welcome to the dark side. What took you so long to see the light? Erhhh, I mean dark?!

Does TMT work okay standalone and just not work with WMC, or does it not work at all? Even though it is an obsolete product, I've thought about adding support to CMC for TMT - but since I just don't have any users needing it I haven't bothered. Let me know.

Since you've been hanging around since April last year, I'm guessing you've already installed and configured CMC before buying a license, right?

Or are you starting from scratch beginning today?

My very first recommendation would be to keep WMC installed until you know for sure you are happy with CMC. CMC is super easy to install/uninstall, and will work alongside WMC, so this allows you to make sure you like the new solution before doing anything hard to undo, like removing WMC.

Also, if you are new to CMC, the #1 thing you'll have to do is clean up your My Movies meta-data. CMC doesn't have direct API access, and instead relies on the mymovies.xml files that are written to your media directories. These mymovies.xml files contain all the meta-data about each title, and My Movies Collection Management is extremely bad about not updating these files.

You may want to start off with just a sync from CMC to see how bad things are, and if everything looks good you can skip the meta-data cleanup. But if you have less than stellar results, you should following the meta-data cleanup guidelines here: https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/how-to.html (under the Pre-Installation Requirements heading).

After a Sync, CMC will display a log of sync errors - expect this to be large until you clean up your meta-data. It should give you helpful guidance as to where the problems lie.

Also, during this initial setup, I highly recommend using the Full Sync, and only start using the SmartSync once you get all the initial kinks worked out.

We're here to help, so feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi Paul,
Nope TMT5 doesn’t even load and run standalone, so something has happened in the OS that it doesn’t like. That’s to bad because I’ve always thought it was a good player. Brian has support for Power DVD 17 in the current release, but I haven’t heard anything about adding support for 18. All my blu-Ray media is ripped as folder structures which is why I’ve been with TMT5. It was the only player that could play a movie from a folder structure ripped from the disk. I also liked TMT5 because it had a little helper file that would call it from media center aonce you where done with watching a movie it hold return you back to media center.

I played around with a earlier release of CMC, but I removed it because it didn’t have the ability to have a music library. I think it’s far enough along that I can now use it reliably, and it has enough features for it to be my front end for my poor mans Kaliedescape media server. My server is a full reinstall from the ground up which includes new hardware. It runs on a AsrockRack EC3224D2I mini-itx w/Xeon processor, 16gigs of ram, Lsi 9201-16i HBA, new case. I will be able access the server remotely through ipmi once I have that set up.

It’s come a long way from my snaggle toothed WHS 2011 server running on a dual core pentium, gigabyte G31M-ES2L motherboard, with 4 gigs of ram and a couple of Supermicro 8 port HBAs running on the PCI bus. I’m currently scrubbing the meta-data as I type this. I’m not expecting any issues as I keep it pretty clean and I lock down my titles. I’ll keep you posted. Off to go buy power dvd 18 now that it’s on sale for $70. :-)
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Pauven wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:22 pm All my blu-Ray media is ripped as folder structures which is why I’ve been with TMT5. It was the only player that could play a movie from a folder structure ripped from the disk.

I'm fairly certain all of the players can do this: PowerDVD, DVDFab Player, MPC, VLC.

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 pm I’m currently scrubbing the meta-data as I type this. I’m not expecting any issues as I keep it pretty clean and I lock down my titles.

So here's the rub - you and I and pretty much every user here started off with meticulously maintained meta-data. That's awesome, but that's not what I mean by meta-data cleanup. So be prepared, it's unlikely to go as smoothly as you expect.

The problem isn't so much your meta-data, but rather the mymovies.xml meta-data files. Too often these files are several years old (i.e. 2014), from back when Binnerup encrypted them, or even if they are a bit newer they are still old and out of date. Because they haven't been updated in years, they are not in sync with the meta-data inside MMCM. When you start getting mymovies.xml errors in the CMC Sync Error Report, pay attention to the file dates included in the report, as they are often very old.

And Binnerup says this is working as designed... These old, out of date files are still readable by MMCM and are up-to-date enough to work for whatever reasons MMCM needs them.

But since these files are the sole source for meta-data for CMC, they must be current, up-to-date, and not encrypted. So working as designed does not mean compatible with CMC.

That means you have to force MMCM to update the meta-data. But even when you click the option to force update, it doesn't do much of anything. Instead, you have to first delete the existing meta-data files (the Clean option) so that the force update realizes the meta-data file is missing and will actually create the updated files.

Then comes the next shock: Now that you've cleaned and updated your meta-data and sync again, the CMC Sync Error Report starts telling you about a bunch of movies that are missing the mymovies.xml file. Then when you start troubleshooting, you discover that either A) The title is completely missing from your collection and you never realized it, or B) The title/discs have been changed to Offline instead of Online Folder / Online File. That's right, somewhere along the way MMCM messed up your database, and either titles went missing or got reconfigured on you.

Here's the interesting thing: If you weren't going through this process of cleaning up your meta-data and syncing with CMC, you wouldn't even realize that you are missing movies from your collection. After all, when you have 1000+ movies, would you really even notice a few dozen older titles missing? Unless you were actively looking for one of those to play, it's doubtful you would notice.

So CMC is exposing these issues that pretty much every user has and doesn't know it. Over the past 1.5 years, I've supported most of my user base through this cleanup. Maybe you'll get lucky... but I doubt it.

NOTE: If you only have a few that are causing problems, you are better off simply clicking the "Save Meta-data" button on the MMCM toolbar, which forces an immediate write of all meta-data, and you don't have to clean first.

Then the final bit of clean-up comes when you decide you want to use your TV Series in CMC, listing out your episodes for direct play (which works awesomely!). That's when you write me for more help, because the TV Series are either missing or the Episodes aren't showing. That's when I explain that MMCM only exports TV Series meta-data if the title is in your collection as a Disc, and that Episode meta-data is only exported when you map the episodes to the disc and then assign extra dummy files to the Episode's file location. Though I have written several tutorials on just this topic here in the forum, so be sure to read those first.

Some of these headaches go away if I implement the My Movies API - at least all the extra tricks we have to go through to force MMCM to write the meta-data files in the first place. But a lot of this cleanup (re-adding movies that disappeared, correcting titles to online instead of offline, and mapping episodes) you have to do either way, and with the current file-based meta-data approach, CMC identifies and reports on these issues, whereas the API might simply mask these issues.

Sorry, not trying to scare you off. Just wanted to prepare you for the same rollercoaster ride of disappointment, acceptances and finally elation that we all go through as we discover just how poorly MMCM handles these physical meta-data files and DB integrity.

Paul

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Paul,
For a long time, TMT5 was the only player that was able to play a fully ripped 1:1 disc with menus as if where a real disc. PowerDVD has been able to do that for the last 3-5 revisions I think. The other players like MPC, VLC and DVDFab Player can’t do that, so unless that’s changed that’s the reason I’ve stuck with TMT5 for so long. PowerDVD and TMT5 for a time when it was actively developed are/were officially sanctioned players.

I’m also not into all this file conversion to try to compress the media down while still maintaining its original resolution. Of course there are use cases for that, and I may have a separate area of movies ripped into a compressed format for my laptop running Plex when I’m outside my network. When I’m home I want to just be able to rip a disc 1:1 to load into my collection and have MyMovies add the meta data and make it available for Playback. DONE.

Yep sure enough I’ve been finding titles that CMC says the .xml files are missing for the title when they actually do exist. I’m seeing what you describe. I’m not scared off by it at all, but I think this is a hindrance to wider spread adoption of your software. Access to Brian’s api for MyMovies would be a step up, but as you suggest it might mask those issues that you’ve described. I think you really do need to have access to his api in order for it to be a seamless experience for the most part. Regarding tv episodes on DVD in my use case all discs are done as full rips with the folder structure intact. I’m able to follow the guidelines for tv episodes that Brian has created.

I like what you’ve done so far. You’ve done a tremendous amount of work on it. It’s important that you have a very seamless experience. I should be able to install CMC point it to my (MyMovies) collection and have it fully displayed and playable once some initial configuration is done for the player and how the collection is to be displayed. You love MC and so do I. All of it’s configuration is done through the remote clicking on buttons, and a pop up keyboard when it’s required. This is what you should strive for.

I’m having some permission issues on my HTPC that I think stem from my adjustment one registry key to allow auto logon to a domain as you can through a workgroup. It went in and reset up the desktop as if were a new user. After that I’m only able to display 50 movies in the MyMovies plug-in even though the MMCM can access the server and see all the collection. Prior to that tweak I was able to see the dull collection in the plug-in. I’m still working through CMC meta data issues, so what I might do is take CMC with Windows 7 and sand box it in virtual box on my workstation to play with. I have a spare remote that I can use with it. I’m going to remove the HTPC from the domain, do a fresh install with all windows updates, rejoin the domain, then do the auto logon registry tweak. After that reinstall what software I’ll be using then go from there. I think the tell was when TMT would not run. It’s always ran. Even before the permissions issue.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm For a long time, TMT5 was the only player that was able to play a fully ripped 1:1 disc with menus as if where a real disc.

Oh, menus, yes that is a limitation for many players. PowerDVD and DVDFab Player can both do Blu-ray menus, and I think that is it for currently supported players. DVD menu support is pretty universal.

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm I’m also not into all this file conversion to try to compress the media down while still maintaining its original resolution... When I’m home I want to just be able to rip a disc 1:1 to load into my collection and have MyMovies add the meta data and make it available for Playback. DONE.

I'm right there with you. When I first started experimenting with TV Episodes, I transcoded a season's worth of episodes so I could play them direct without loading Blu-ray menus, and it was nice because they played instantly - but transcoding was a pain. That's when I enhanced CMC to play episodes directly off of discs, without transcoding. This works for DVD's and Blu-rays, in both ISO and folder format. Now I store my TV Series Blu-rays as folders, and with direct play I get the benefits of instant playback at original quality and no time wasted transcoding. It's awesome.

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm Regarding tv episodes on DVD in my use case all discs are done as full rips with the folder structure intact.

Ironically, Blu-ray episodes work so much better than DVD episodes (most of the time). Blu-rays use MPLS #'s to point at filenames, and typically there is one file per episode. So as long as you configure the MPLS # in MMCM, CMC can directly play a Blu-ray episode using pretty much any player.

DVD's on the other hand use Title and Chapter #'s, and both PowerDVD and DVDFab Player are missing the ability to play a specific Title/Chapter from the command line, so DVD episodes will NOT work with these players. But MPC and VLC work perfectly for these. That's one reason why I give you the ability to specify different players for different media, including DVD and Blu-ray episodes. I know it looks like overkill, but you can have MPC play your DVD episodes perfectly (and for free), and PowerDVD play your Blu-ray episodes if you want.

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm Yep sure enough I’ve been finding titles that CMC says the .xml files are missing for the title when they actually do exist. I’m seeing what you describe. I’m not scared off by it at all, but I think this is a hindrance to wider spread adoption of your software. Access to Brian’s api for MyMovies would be a step up, but as you suggest it might mask those issues that you’ve described.

The main reason I went meta-data file based rather than API based is a bit of a sore subject. When I originally started this project, Binnerup provided no support when I reached out to him. Also, API access costs the users money, not me. How much? $100 worth of points. True, many users already have the required points, but the fact remains that WMC + MM Plugin = free API access, but CMC users would have to be at the fully paid $100 tier to have the same functionality. I thought this was a slap in the face to users after Binnerup abandoned the market by not providing a WMC replacement (he essentially said we weren't worth the cost) and here a 3rd party has come to the rescue and Binnerup wants to charge users big money for API access that he previously gave away for free.

Binnerup even went so far as to tease a lower price point, $25 I think, then essentially said he didn't trust me to protect this access and also he didn't have the bandwidth to modify the API to work with CMC at the lower price point. It's all on the Binnerup My Movies forum assuming it hasn't been deleted.

Actually, now would be a GREAT time for users to ping Binnerup about offering a lower price point for CMC API access, as they are actively working on a new version of MM for the first time in over a year.

I haven't played with the API yet, so it's hard to say how much of an improvement it would bring, and what shortcomings it may have. There are also some serious benefits to going with meta-data files. For example, you could copy a couple dozen movies to an external drive, add a copy of CMC (which is a portable application that doesn't require installation), go to a friends house, plug it to a PC and watch your movies at their place, and you don't need My Movies running. This also works great on laptops. CMC is even completely free to use in this scenario as long as you remain below the 101 title threshold, giving you that at-home experience while on the road.

But to be clear, I'm not discounting your assertion - you are absolutely right that a lack of API access is a hindrance to adoption. Many users are discouraged by the level of effort it takes to initially clean up the meta-data. Worse, MMCM is bad about exporting meta-data, and it takes a lot of my time to support users who need help getting MMCM to actually export the meta-data. It seems I'm the one doing this MMCM support, not Binnerup. I do plan to explore the API for all those reasons, but I'm not willing to make any commitments at this time.

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm I like what you’ve done so far. You’ve done a tremendous amount of work on it. It’s important that you have a very seamless experience. I should be able to install CMC point it to my (MyMovies) collection and have it fully displayed and playable once some initial configuration is done for the player and how the collection is to be displayed. You love MC and so do I. All of it’s configuration is done through the remote clicking on buttons, and a pop up keyboard when it’s required. This is what you should strive for.

Thanks, and I agree 100%. If only MMCM did a better job of exporting meta-data, we would already be there. Personally, I think Binnerup has zero incentive to improve upon the meta-data challenges, and would rather force all users to pony up $100 for API access.

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pmI’m having some permission issues on my HTPC that I think stem from my adjustment one registry key to allow auto logon to a domain as you can through a workgroup. It went in and reset up the desktop as if were a new user. After that I’m only able to display 50 movies in the MyMovies plug-in even though the MMCM can access the server and see all the collection. Prior to that tweak I was able to see the dull collection in the plug-in. I’m still working through CMC meta data issues, so what I might do is take CMC with Windows 7 and sand box it in virtual box on my workstation to play with. I have a spare remote that I can use with it. I’m going to remove the HTPC from the domain, do a fresh install with all windows updates, rejoin the domain, then do the auto logon registry tweak. After that reinstall what software I’ll be using then go from there. I think the tell was when TMT would not run. It’s always ran. Even before the permissions issue.

That's rough. I've been following along on your posts on the MM forum. I can't imagine how that would break. I was disappointed Brian didn't have a better answer.

I've probably said too much. Later.

Paul

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:54 pm

I’ve been reading between the lines since I joined your forum. We’re good Paul. I see Brian’s stance on wanting to protect his IP, but the onus should be on you to pay for api access and not the end user. Of course, you can fold that into the cost that you charge for CM. For the amount of money that I’ve paid for MM and spent time contributing titles with no real tangible benefit to me other then getting a thank you for contributing. It’s rather disappointing in my view. There no real incentive to contribute anymore.

His database is huge, and it’s difficult to contribute new titles. There’s a lot of product skus for the same title in the MM database. Just variations on the same title. Moderation is done usually by volunteers. I imagine the challenges are enormous trying to maintain title accuracy. To be fair, he does try to help me when he sees that I’m asking for assistance. I’m usually able to find the solution on my own. MM forum is atrocious when trying to search. I have to go outside of it to search it. Searching inside the forum I usually end up getting some sort of database error if I try to search beyond six months. It’s been like that for a long time. His front end for all intents and purposes is EOL which makes sense, but I’m stuck with a application that just keeps getting overly complex and MMCM interface hasn’t changed very much. It took him a long time to bring the front end over to MCML when Vista arrive. I also think he’s pulled in too many directions.

Honestly I’ve even though of going over to Allonis formerly known as Cinemar and spending the the money about $600-700 for a suite of packages for their server software, movie and music front ends, Netflix, Amazon and Pandora. They have an entire home automation ecosystem. I just want something that works and support. You give good support, but that might end up getting more challenging if you get wider adoption. I think you’re doing good and you have the passion for it. It’s only $20 bucks, so it’s not a big deal for me if the software doesn’t meet my needs. I certainly don’t mind being a guinea pig for you. :-)

Efrain

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Teddyboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:54 pm I see Brian’s stance on wanting to protect his IP, but the onus should be on you to pay for api access and not the end user.

Is that even an option? Seems like Brian would have mentioned that at some point. All I've heard is that every user needs API access.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Just wanted to mention that I have implemented the My Movies API.

I found that direct API access in CMC slowed it down too much, so instead I created a stand-alone Metadata Exporter. It significantly improves upon the metadata quality exported by MMCM, and eliminates all the extra steps we had to take to get TV Series Episodes to export.

I call this new tool the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME), and it will be bundled with CMC. After an initial full collection meta-data export, you can simply let CME run automatically in the background, pinging the API and checking for changes, and your exported metadata will be kept up to date.

CMC v2.2 takes full advantage of this new metadata, and now provides a rich TV Series browsing experience. The new metadata files are also smaller than the mymovies.xml files, so the CMC Sync will typically be up to 40% faster.

Unfortunately, you the user will have to have 2500 My Movies contribution points to have My Movies API access, which is required for CME to work.

Both CMC v2.2 and CME v1.0 are in Release Candidate stage, and should be released to the public very soon.

In the future I will be exploring options to completely eliminate the metadata export step & CMC sync, and instead have CME directly create the CMC database file, though that will take more time to develop.

Paul

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am

Hey Paul,
I’ve been watching on the sidelines, and it looks like you’ve come up with a nice solution. This has been one of my criticisms against the software. Importing metadata which up until now has been a laborious process for me which is why I stopped using the front end. A lot of your time on the forum was spent helping people work through metadata import issues. I felt this was holding your development work back. Most users are former MyMovies users with the required 2500 points of which I’m one of those users. One can easily run the MyMovies back end where the movies are located to maintain that database and allow cmce to communicate directly with the database to bring it in to your front end. I actually like MyMovies collection management to maintain my collection. Does your import software allow for automatic updates once the initial import is complete or is that a manual process when I add titles to my collection?

I still don’t like having to use an external player. I still think it’s clunky, but its workable. :)