Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

I’m going over to the dark side! :-)

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

Re: I’m going over to the dark side! :-)

Post by Pauven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am

Teddyboy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am I’ve been watching on the sidelines, and it looks like you’ve come up with a nice solution.

Thanks! I have plans for the future to make it even better!

Teddyboy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am Does your import software allow for automatic updates once the initial import is complete or is that a manual process when I add titles to my collection?

I think by "import" you mean "export", yes?

For the Metadata Exporter tool, I programmed the ability to export all changes since the last export, plus the ability to automatically scan for changes on a set frequency.

For example, if you set it up to scan every minute looking for changes, then as you add/change titles in MMCM, they will be exported within 1 minute.

In fact, this is so quick, that in my observation the CME metadata files show up about as quickly as the mymovies.xml files produced by MMCM!

The ideal way to use CME is to have it added to your Windows "Start" folder, so it runs automatically at boot up, and to configure CME to auto-start exporting as soon as it is started, to start minimized to the System Tray, and to scan for changes every minute since the last run. Used this way, it is basically a set-it and forget-it tool, always running in the background, always keeping your exported metadata up to date.

Teddyboy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am I still don’t like having to use an external player. I still think it’s clunky, but its workable.

I hear ya. And I'm still playing around with built-in solutions, though to be honest there are numerous obstacles that make this very challenging. For example having the ability to select the appropriate language track is surprisingly hard. It's quite likely that even if I work out all the showstoppers, the end result will be a built-in player that is still only half as good as any of the external players available.

I also played around with embedding Chromium (the Chrome web browser), and unfortunately this too has many issues. While it's essentially fine for browsing normal web pages, for streaming video on the web it has numerous issues (mostly security related imposed by the content providers).

So while all of these ideas sound great on paper, the actual implementation of them may be out of reach.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter