Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

What is Unraid and how to build an Unraid media server

Show off your HTPC builds, NAS Servers, and any other hardware. Great place to ask for hardware help too.
Pauven

Re: What is Unraid and how to build an Unraid media server

Post by Pauven » Sun May 28, 2023 1:23 pm

I use gmail for my notifications. I've noticed that Google will occasionally turn off the feature for security reasons, and you just have to go into gmail and turn it back on.

I used to use my personal gmail, but Google was turning it off so frequently that I changed to using this website's ChamConSoft gmail account, and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

One reason Gmail turns this feature off is infrequent usage. So a workaround it to turn on more email notifications (like OS/plugin updates and notices), so that there's not such a long gap in time between notifications.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun May 28, 2023 4:41 pm

I have a separate account for gmail which I created to send out notifications to my personal account for unraid and my home security app. I have now set up a pushover account for my apps notifications and it is working great for my unraid server. Only took 10 minutes to setup after 15 minutes of research. I liked gmail because I always monitor gmail and now I have to monitor a seaprate app. I have setup notification chimes for my laptop, galaxy tablet and android phone. They have a 30 day trial and after 30 days I will have to pay a $5 one time fee per client which means a $15 extra expense for me.

Funny thing, gmail started to work again for my unraid notifications after I set this up!. My security app is still broken. I do have to set pushover up for my security app which appears to require writing a script. I will keep gmail functioning as a now backup for notifications but it seems to operate occasionally which is not acceptable for my home security app.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon May 29, 2023 12:57 pm

I use my ChamConSoft website gmail account to send notification emails to my personal gmail account, so I still just monitor my personal account. You could do the same with pushover, using it just for sending to your gmail account, so still just one place to monitor. And for that reason, it could technically be just about any email service being used as the sender, doesn't have to be a pay service.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue May 30, 2023 6:23 pm

I got my home security app working with gmail again. A profile setting was changed in the app. I haven't touched the settings since February so one of those mysterious things that seem to crop up. I still don't know what I fixed in unraid notifications. I guess that I should be happy thay they work again.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:17 pm

Hi Paul,

I think I have a bad mini sas cable. I can't seem to find this cable any more. Do I have to get a new LSI controller card with which supports a different cable? I think I need a longer 1m cable. The cables are very tight trying to reach the card to the cases backplane. I found that I have 3 drives that never worked even when I first connected them and 1 drive has errors and unraid disables the drive. I can find 1x cables but not 4x cables

SAS Data Cables
You will need four Mini-SAS SFF8087 to Mini-SAS SFF8087 cables (two per card, each cable supports 4 drives). These cables run from the LSI Controller Cards to the case's backplane. These are $9 each on Amazon (the 0.7m length should be good), for a total cost of $36:

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:54 pm

Can you post a pic of your current cable? I think it's different than the cable in that quote.

It's probably a Mini-SAS SFF8087 to 4x SATA breakout. Note that sometimes the cables are called breakout and sometimes 4 into 1 combined, depending upon direction, but as far as I know it's the same, they work bidirectionally.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:22 pm

This is the cable I originally bought. I was looking at the Sata cable which is not the right cable. I guess I have to buy four of these to connect the case back plane to the sli controller card?

https://www.amazon.com/CABLEDECONN-Inte ... KU3PC?th=1

As you can see this cable is no longer available from this manufacturer.

Okay this is the setup I was looking at in the previous message. Maybe I should buy the dsli card with the cables . Maybe only half the cards working. I just know that the 4 drives connected to one sli card no longer works. The link is an open box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155222053316

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:56 pm

It's a standard cable, available from other manufacturers.

I think this is the same cable, in a 1m length: https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UT ... %26psc%3D1

Looks like it is in stock with 1 or 2 day shipping. For $10, I'd do this first to see if it fixes anything.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:59 pm

okay the sli card cables are not tight they are fine I believe. The cables for the motherboard sata ports are extremely tight. I think I have to replace the motherboard sata connects. I also notice that I have a total of 10 power connectors on the case backplane but I only connected 8 to the power supply. Should all the power connectors on the case backplane be connected to the power supply?

Here is the url to the sata reverse breakout cable that I bought when I set up the server. Do you know whether they have cables greater than 3.3 ft?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-In ... B018YHS9GM

I took some pictures but the sizes of them are too big for the forum

Edit

Hi paul

I found out that I bought 1.6 feet cables not 3.3 feet cables. I should have bought 3.3 feet cables at the time I put them together. Now I have to find cables that are in stock. I also will buy molex power splitters to hook up the other two molex power connector that I did not connect

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:11 pm

I bought this reverse breakout cable on ebay. I bought 2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273857750285?h ... R9aPlMf1Yg