Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[CLOSED] Error: Encrypted mymovies.xml file

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
lovehtpc

[CLOSED] Error: Encrypted mymovies.xml file

Post by lovehtpc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi folks,

When browsing over movie tiles, some of my movies are coming up with an error stating there is an encrypted mymovies.xml file. I have reviewed the xml file and i can open it just fine, attributes are clean... Not sure where to go to fix this one.

I searched on the mymovie forums as well with no luck.

Thanks for any info!
Attachments
encrypted_xml (Custom).jpg
encrypted_xml (Custom).jpg (112.03 KiB) Viewed 7535 times

Pauven

Re: Error: Encrypted mymovies.xml file

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Please attach the mymovies.xml for Thor. The exact file that is causing the problem should be listed in the CMC Sync Error Report (in the Logs directory).
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

lovehtpc

Post by lovehtpc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:48 pm

It is encrypted per the info in the file, but I'm not sure if that's part of mymovies process? Most of my titles are not encrypted.

i tried applying a different source title to it as well and no luck.
Attachments
mymovies.xml
(386.52 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:58 am

On the How-To page, there is an entire section on fixing encrypted and bad My Movies XML files as well as the initial metadata cleanup steps new users usually have to follow: https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/how-to.html

You should definitely read that, as it explains what is going on.

But that is a painful process, and exactly why I created the brand new CMC Metadata Exporter (CME): viewtopic.php?f=14&t=169

With CME, you no longer have to do any of those steps listed in the How-To for metadata cleanup and fixing encrypted XML. Instead, CME will export all brand new metadata, without any of the cleanup headaches.

It will also export more metadata for TV Series, allowing for a nicer browsing experience (and without all the extra tricks we use to do to get episode metadata to export). And the metadata files will be smaller too, which makes for an approximately 40% faster sync!

Since CME uses the My Movies API, Binnerup requires that you have 2500 contribution points to use it. It's definitely worth it, but If that's out of reach for you, then you can still use CMC with the mymovies.xml files, you'll just have to follow the manual cleanup steps in the How-To articles.

lovehtpc

Post by lovehtpc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am

Excellent info to an unfortunate event. Thanks for pointing me to that, i will look through it and work through some of these files. I don't think i have many like this, but we'll see once i start getting into the weeds.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:43 am

Do you not have the 2500 points to use the My Movies API and CME? CME makes this so much easier. Since you're dealing with encrypted mymovies.xml files, that tells me you haven't used CME (which exports differently named mmTitle.xml / mmSeries.xml / mmEpisode.xml files).

If you have 2500 points, you should absolutely use CME instead of trying to cleanup the My Movies metadata. Binnerup says that the mymovies.xml files are working as designed, even when they haven't been updated in 5+ years and have encrypted data inside, since My Movies can still use these really old files and doesn't need them to stay up-to-date.

CMC needs up-to-date files, and CME is the proper solution for doing this, plus it is so much easier.

I did keep CMC compatible with the mymovies.xml files for users who don't have the 2500 points, and obviously it works okay as users have been doing it this way for the past 1.5 years, but you have the luxury of doing it with CME now, something for which all the other CMC users who have already gone through the cleanup process are now jealous of you.

And if you have TV Series, you should know that you will only get the new browsing experience in CMC v2.2 if you export the metadata using CME. My Movies doesn't export enough data on it's own to support all the new functionality in CMC.

lovehtpc

Re: [CLOSED] Error: Encrypted mymovies.xml file

Post by lovehtpc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:58 pm

I don't have many points, but i was able to clean everything up thanks to your knowledge of the software. I didn't have too many to clean up, so i manually went through them. Here is what i did for anyone having this issue in the future:

1) Review the CMC logs and delete any encrypted mymovies.xml it finds
2) In my movies, search for those movies and update the information

Pretty easy fix for anything broken/old. For me personally, the biggest 'want' are the poster/fanart images and movie titles. Any missing art, i add it to my mymovies collection.

Hope this help someone down the road. And i agree with you if you have the points, there are better/quicker/easier methods available as you suggested.

Thanks again for your help! 8-)

Pauven

Re: [CLOSED] Error: Encrypted mymovies.xml file

Post by Pauven » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 am

Glad you got it worked out so easily!

lovehtpc wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:58 pm For me personally, the biggest 'want' are the poster/fanart images and movie titles.

Ok, I understand wanting the poster/fanart images (you need more points), but what do you mean by "wanting movie titles"?