Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[RESOLVED] CME export fails

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Teddyboy

Re: CME export fails - PARTIALLY RESOLVED

Post by Teddyboy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm

My name is MUD.

It's working on the client side, but not on my server essentials install. In my frustration, trying to install MyMovies on my server, I by mistake grabbed a older version of MyMovies 5.0.0.100 to be exact and installed on my pc for the client side software. It wasn't working because of the version mismatch. How did I discover my mistake? Easy. I happened to look at the version when I clicked on about when I was looking at my client installation. I then uninstalled it and grabbed the correct install file for the client. Guess what. The url works as expected and it came back with a response very quickly which doesn't surprise me since I only have about 500 movies which is not a big collection compared to some other users. Moving forward the solution for now is to install the client side of MM on my htpc for the time being. I can run CM and CME on my htpc. In my view this is not optimal, but workable for the near future. The ideal install for me would be to have CME run on my actual server.

The answer to Jamie's question whether the MyMovies Tray executable is installed for server essentials is no. I thought that maybe it was a bad install, so I uninstalled it leaving the SQL and MM database intact, and reinstalled it. It appears that the MM tray executable is left out by design which is a shame since this defeats the purpose of running CME on the server side. The long shot is that it was left out by mistake when the installer was created. I'm pretty sure that the MM tray executable was present in my Home Server install, but that was a long time ago.

This really doesn't solve the issue though. It's not your fault Paul, but as your userbase grows you'll have more and more people that will be running actual server installations. I don't like having software that I don't really need on my htpc as I like to keep it really lean with a small SSD/itx platform in a heatsink case.

I'm going to try go get Brian to engage in a conversation about it. You should push from the developers end. I should have the ability to run CME on the server side which I think is where it really belongs.
Efrain
Correct Client Side Version 5.24 Install
Correct Client Side Version 5.24 Install
Client side 2019-07-30_19-25-59.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 12443 times
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Jamie

Re: CME export fails

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 am

Well I am glad that you made progress at least on the client side. At least you can work on your collection now.

If Brian can't shed light on what application runs the web service on server essentials in the next day or 2, you might send Paul a listing of the filenames for your mymovies install. Maybe he can figure out the web service application by the names. Either that or for some reason Brian decided not to allow the web service to run on the server essentials server.

I hope you get an answer soon

Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am

Teddyboy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pmMy name is MUD.

Is that a Primus reference? I do enjoy me some Primus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953PkxFNiko

Teddyboy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm It wasn't working because of the version mismatch.

Great detective work. I'm not sure that issue would have occurred to me. I did briefly consider looking up the API command that returns the My Movies version and having you try that, and now I wish I had done so, as it might have got you to this realization quicker.

Teddyboy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm I should have the ability to run CME on the server side which I think is where it really belongs.

Obviously I don't know much about Server Essentials, but would it be possible to install the My Movies PC Client on the server (so you separately install both the server and client software on your server)? Maybe that would get the MM tray icon so you can also run CME there.

Teddyboy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm I'm going to try go get Brian to engage in a conversation about it. You should push from the developers end.

You'll probably get a better response from Binnerup if I don't get involved.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:56 am

Haha! Good one on the Primus reference, but that’s not where that phrase comes from. It’s much older then that by at least 50 years.

I was so over it from struggling with it, but I decided to retrace all steps. That’s when I discovered the version mismatch right away on the client. Once I corrected my mistake, it started to behave as you have described. :D

I tried installing the client/server software for windows on my server, but it did version check and would not allow me to continue, but then again I may have grabbed the older install file! I’ll try again after I get home from work today. If it does a version check against the OS, then I’ll have to stick to the work around. Another alternative is to run it under a VM. The easiest VM to do that is Virtual Box. I’d prefer to use VMware, but that would require ripping apart my server install to do that. I only have 16 gigs of ram and I can’t expand beyond that. It’s a asrock itx Xeon server motherboard. 16 gigs should be enough as I’m not running much else.

He replied back to my question. The tray app is only for desktop software. He didn’t elaborate. I’m going to ask for further detail, and explain my use case.

At least I have a workable solution.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 am

Teddyboy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:56 am I tried installing the client/server software for windows on my server, but it did version check and would not allow me to continue

https://david-merritt.blogspot.com/2012 ... -onto.html

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 am

Pauven wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 am
Teddyboy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:56 am I tried installing the client/server software for windows on my server, but it did version check and would not allow me to continue

https://david-merritt.blogspot.com/2012 ... -onto.html
Thanks Paul. I just tried to what it describes, but first I had to convert the exe file into a msi. I was able to do that, and then I was able to edit the msi file, but when I tried to launch it gave a error and would not run. It looked to easy to do. LOL

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:42 am

Well it was worth a try. Hopefully Binnerup can recommend a solution to getting the client installed on your Server Essentials box.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:01 pm

I was going to post another follow up on MM forum, but the forum is down right now. When it’s up again I’ll ask if it’s possible to revise the server side software to include the missing pieces once I explain my use case. I’m not holding my breath. Worse case is I load up the client side software on my htpc and run CME from there. An interesting alternative is to install virtualbox and run a extra copy of Windows 7 so I can either install a client on that or uninstall the server component from my server and install MM for windows there and have it act as the MM server and running CME on the VM. If I go that route, I may get another larger ssd and clone the the 120 gb ssd to give the VM more space. Maybe I don’t need to do that. I’ll have to check how much space I have.

Pauven

Re: CME export fails - RESOLVED

Post by Pauven » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:12 am

I've occasionally thought about setting up a Win VM on my Unraid NAS to host My Movies, every time I consider it I find it doesn't make sense.

I do all my collection maintenance on my office PC, and with CMC using metadata files I don't need MM running all the time. Running MM on my office PC allows me to do local collection maintenance without RDP'ing into a remote server, and CME exports so quickly that my metadata files are updated within a minute or two of me wrapping up my changes.

I am also able to sleep my office PC when I'm not using it, as I don't need MM or CME running 24/7 since the metadata has already been exported to my Unraid media server.

A Win7 VM sounds like a worthwhile approach if you really want to push MM fully to your SE box, but I thought it was worth mentioning the approach I use. Though I'm vaguely recalling that you use Dune and need MM running 24/7, which would make my approach a no-go for you.

Teddyboy

Re: CME export fails - RESOLVED

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am

Dune? Nope. Never had a Dune device at all. I think the most practical approach is to probably run CME from my office PC. I really want my htpc to be free or any extra software. CME is not running all the time and my collection only changes when I add a title(s) to it. CME uses very little resources, so I don't think it will be a big deal running it from my office pc. All the metadata that it collects is dumped to the movie folders anyway, so it's not a big deal. I manage my collection from my office pc and in the near future on my laptop when I set up VPN.

The less things installed on my htpc the less maintenance/troubleshooting I'll have to do. The leaner the better. I just want it to be a box that plays my media.