Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Resolved] Jriver Player does not launch

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Teddyboy

[Resolved] Jriver Player does not launch

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:18 pm

I finally installed CMC today. The exporter works great, and it's so much easier to get up and running with it. I have some export errors, but those are can be fixed. I'll post a separate topic for that to make sure I'm on the right track.

The problem that I'm having now is I can't launch jriver to play any of my blu-rays, and I'm at a loss on how to fix it. All my movies are ripped one to one as folder structures. I know that Jriver is working because I can play Blu-ray movies and dvds when I'm in theater view. I've attached a screen shot of the error that I'm getting. MPC-BE works and will launch and play a dvd although it's difficult to navigate it because come of the commands are not mapped properly to it, and I don't know how to do that. It's a little frustrating.
jriver error.png
jriver error.png (424.1 KiB) Viewed 7254 times
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: Jriver Player does not launch

Post by Pauven » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:40 pm

The problem is that CMC is not finding your JRiver installation. You can tell from the error message, which has quotes with nothing inside right after 'unable to run' - that's where the file path to the JRiver executable should be.

What's the file path to the JRiver install? And what version of JRiver do you have?
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:19 am

Media center 24. The path according to its properties is C:\program files\j River\media center 24\media center 24.exe
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:14 am

There's supposed to be an executable for Media Center in the \Windows\System32 directory. The name should be MC24.exe. This allows you to actually run JRiver Media Center from anywhere.

I'm guessing you don't have C:\Windows\System32\MC24.exe, which is what CMC is looking for.

We tested with earlier versions (i.e. MC 21) and newer versions (MC 25), but not specifically MC 24. Not sure if there is something different about MC 24, or if something is broken with your install.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 am

MC24.exe resides in the C:\program files\jriver\media center 24 folder. It’s a only 649kb in size, so that must be the one your talking about? Which version did you test with? I only run 64bit versions exclusively if it’s available. If you tested with the 32bit version then this may explain why it can’t find it if it’s looking for it in the system32 folder. This is a plain vanilla install of windows, jriver etc., so it’s highly unlikely that the install is broken.

CMC is able to find the exe for MPC-BE 64 bit version and load it without issue although trying to control it with a traditional MCE remote is driving me crazy.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi TeddyBoy,

Listen to Paul. You should have an MC24.exe in C:\windows\system32. How else are you supposed to launch it anywhere on your PC? I have both MC21.exe and MC25.exe. See screenshot. I don't think 64 bit matters but I have been wrong in the past :D :D .
MC25jpg.jpg
MC25jpg.jpg (344.62 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Can you do a search for mc24.exe in your Windows folder? Perhaps it is in SysWOW64 instead.

I think I'm running the 64-bit version too. Hard to tell now, as my trial has expired and it no longer runs for me.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:41 pm

I just checked, and I have MC25.exe in both System32 and SysWOW64:

image.png
image.png (42.36 KiB) Viewed 7230 times

I think CMC is only looking in System32, so if you have it only in SysWOW64 that could explain why CMC is not finding it.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:48 pm

I just searched for it and it’s not in the SYSWOW64 folder either. Maybe I should just upgrade to 25, and see what it results in.

Okay success! Upgrading to 25 64 bit, and it solved the issue. Maybe they changed the installation location. I’m going to uninstall 24 since it’s installed in its own directory.

Now on to the next issue.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:58 pm

according to this site 64 bit and 32 bit files should be in system 32.

https://www.howtogeek.com/326509/whats- ... n-windows/

On a 64-bit computer, 64-bit programs store their files in C:\Program Files, and the system-wide C:\Windows\System32 folder contains 64-bit libraries. 32-bit programs store their files in C:\Program Files (x86), and the system-wide folder is C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

wow64 explained

The “WOW64” part of the name here refers to Microsoft’s “Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit” software, which is a part of the operating system. This allows Windows to run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit version of Windows. WoW64 redirects file access to ensure programs will work properly.

For example, if you install a 32-bit program on a 64-bit version of Windows and it tries to write to the C:\Program Files folder, WoW64 points it at C:\Program Files (x86). And, if it wants to access the C:\Windows\System32 folder, WoW64 points it at C:\Windows\SysWOW64. Windows does this using a file system redirector.