Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v1.1] CME Times out when reading Database sometimes

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
Teddyboy

[Fixed in v1.1] CME Times out when reading Database sometimes

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:44 pm

I've been curating my collection this weekend, getting rid of titles that I don't want, or I'm replacing them with Blu-ray versions. There where some updates that windows server wanted to apply to the sql database. Instead of waiting for them to apply during off hours, I went ahead and had the server reboot. It can take a server a few minutes to come up all the way. I started CME and began a export thinking that the server was fully up. I got a read timeout error which is okay, but it wasn't very graceful. I got a little dialog box that said that with a ok button. I clicked it and went back to CME to abort, but it would not abort when I clicked on the abort button. I had to click on the X to close the application.

This has happened on a couple of other occasions when I was deleting some titles form collection management, this also happens when I save a title. You can't do anything about the database locking when it's in the middle of a transaction, but could you look at having CME be a little more graceful when it finds that it's locked out of the database?

The short term solution is to not start a export before I'm done in collection management.

Other then that CME is doing it's job well.

Side Note: I have five TV Series that are based on chapters instead of titles. I know you said that your going to take care of this, but now that I'm looking at my collection with a critical eye. I thought I would mention these titles. :) It's strange because Looney Tunes Volume one is chapters but the rest of the volumes 2 - 6 are title based. Go figure! Happy Labor Day!
Texhnolyze
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
The Prisoner
Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume One
Kimba The White Lion
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: CME Times out when reading Database sometimes

Post by Pauven » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 am

I have it on my to-do to improve this.

The problem is that My Movies is single-threaded. So if it is doing anything else at the same time, it will only do 1 thing, and everything else goes into a queue. I did a lot of stress testing of the API to find its limits, and was very disappointed with this behavior. This is one of the main reasons I did not build the API into CMC directly, because then it would be nearly impossible to have multiple users on multiple PC's all using CMC against the same My Movies central PC (though I guess if you maintained a separate My Movies install on each PC, that problem might go away).

Like you, I'm not happy with how CMC goes into failure mode when a timeout occurs.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Teddyboy

Re: [Issue in v1.0] CME Times out when reading Database sometimes

Post by Teddyboy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:11 pm

I guess the best you can do is to make it as graceful as possible because you don’t have any control over that. Yes it is single threaded, which I’ve never understood why. Technical issues in creating a multithreaded app aside, it would certainly make the application much more responsive. I can’t continue to curate my collection while I’m ripping a disc to my server. It drives me crazy that I have to wait. Sometimes I’ll open up MMCM on my server through RDP to continue working on my collection while ripping a movie to my server. The version of Sql sever he uses is also ancient and it needs to be upgraded to a more up-to date version.
Mechanical Engineer, Solidworks junkie, Reef aquariums, sci-fi, weight training, orchids, Ferns, Kaiju, model kit building, balboa park, scripps aquarium

Pauven

Re: [Issue in v1.0] CME Times out when reading Database sometimes

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:20 am

I agree 110% percent.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter