Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Problems with v 1.8.2018.0318

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

Re: Problems with v 1.8.2018.0318

Post by Pauven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:31 am

We're both hackers that way, and I appreciate the effort. And you've certainly come up with some novel and unexpected solutions.

My favorite personal hack was a simple 20,000 mixed drink recipe database and desktop program I found twenty-something years ago. You could look up a drink by name, and it would detail the ingredients to make it. But I was unfamiliar with drink names, and wanted to know what I could make with the alcohol and mixers I had in the house, plus I was frustrated looking at recipes for which I didn't have the ingredients to make. So I hacked it. The biggest part of the hack was that the database was password protected and encrypted, which was a fun puzzle to crack. Then I programmed a web front end, and allowed extra query parameters to search by either ingredients you had available, or your favorite ingredients, and it would return just the drink recipes that matched. It was very popular with my friends for many years, until I retired my web server.

Since I'm the author, you've got me to hack MM Browser. I think you're hacking efforts are better applied in trying to get data out of My Movies, rather than data into MM Browser. If you can get the data out, I can get the data in.

Here's where I would appreciate the most focus:

Some of the data gaps I have identified seem to be fixing themselves when I'm not looking. For example, the poster.jpg and banner.jpg artwork files were originally very reluctant to generate, and I had only succeeded once. Now, I'm noticing them for many of my TV shows, but the dates on the files don't match the xml file dates. It's almost as if when I Save Meta-Data, the xml file is immediately written, and then the artwork is queued up for separate background processing. So I keep thinking I failed to generate it, then I come back days later and look, and sure enough it is there. Because I tried multiple methods to generate the artwork, the time gap prevents me from understanding exactly which step(s) worked to generate the artwork.

It would be helpful to have a second set of eyes to determine what steps in My Movies causes those files to generate. This will probably be a slow and time consuming research task, as you really need to pick a single title, take a single step, then walk away and check later (hours... days?) to see if the artwork was generated. Maybe your system will be faster than mine.

The possible triggers here include adding Episodes, adding Episode File Paths, saving 'TV Series' meta-data, selecting/changing the TV Series artwork, or some other step like saving the Title meta-data or individual Season meta-data.

It would also be helpful to know if you have to manually Save Meta-data to trigger the TV Series artwork generation, or if the Update All Meta-data function will do it too. Since most of my TV Series are missing the artwork, I don't think simply adding a TV Series is enough to trigger artwork generation by itself (probably a logic bug in My Movies).

Also, research is needed into what meta-data files will contain the TV Series info, and whether or not they get overwritten by other meta-data files. For example, I've never seen a mymovies.xml file with <Series> meta-data (but maybe it is getting overwritten by <Title> meta-data and I haven't noticed). I have seen a Zappiti.xml file with <Series> data, but it gets overwritten by a Zappiti.xml file with <Title> data (same filename, same file location), so you can't trust it to be there. I have seen the tvshow.nfo meta-data file written (I believe triggered by the Popcorn Meta-data option), and while the data looks nice and the filename suggests it will not be overwritten, the file is missing one crucial value: The TV Series ID. It also doesn't have any other values, like IMDB ID, that I could use to join it with the various seasons. It might be possible to use this file (at least it is placed inside the media folder instead of the parent folder), but it sure has some shortcomings.

Even though they require points, I don't want to exclude a few premium meta-data exports: MediaBrowser movie.xml files, and JRiver MediaCenter Sidecar.xml files.

I've also yet to try the Netgear EVA TAG files, mainly due to the warning message regarding the file location for the meta-data files.

One tip when testing meta-data export options: I have been disabling the 'My Movies General Service' in the Windows Services, then turning on meta-data export options, and then manually writing the meta-data by hitting the Save Meta-Data button. This way the test meta-data is only written to a few titles, and doesn't muddy my entire collection. Once I have a good lead on a meta-data option and turn off the options I don't want, I plan to re-enable the General Service.

Oh, and before I forget...
Jamie wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 pm I was also wonder whether we could set the TV series up as a real box set by moving the individual season titles under the parent title as in the screenshot

I don't know whether a tv series structure would work with this method.
Yes, absolutely. I think this might be the step you missed to get the Box Set to show up (remember, I have yet to program support for empty Box Sets). Not only that, but I believe that this is a truly valid configuration. Since you can buy a Box Set that contains all seasons of a TV Series, it is expected that you would assign the individual season titles underneath the Box Set Parent. Most likely MM Browser will need some tweaks to handle this scenario correctly, as I've programmed Box Set and TV Series support separately, and have never tested with titles that are both. I'm not sure how MM Browser will behave.

Keep in mind that, in general, the presentation of Box Sets in MM Browser is very close to final, so if you follow this path then your TV Series would always display as a Box Set. However, if we can get the <Series> meta-data/artwork export working, then once I program the new functionality into MM Browser, you will have a much richer TV Series browsing experience in MM Browser, far beyond the basic Box Set display functionality.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 am

I have noticed that when you do the update metadata function for all the meta data that it doesn't update the tv series episode data. I always have to do a clean function before to even get the mymovies.xml and all the other data to update. So I have given up on this method.

I use the save metadata button function now and I use it to setup each individual title. If you want to update episode data you have to go to each episode and click the save metadata button If you want to save title and disks data you have to be in the title/season level and click save metadata. If you follow this method. The metadata gets saved at that time. I still see that the zappatti and some thumbnails don't update unless you remove them first. When you press save metadata for the title/season level you need to make sure it finished updating. It may take a minute. Generally I wait for the blue outline to disappear around the button after you click it.

These are my finding at the moment.

Jamie

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Jamie wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 am I have noticed that when you do the update metadata function for all the meta data that it doesn't update the tv series episode data. I always have to do a clean function before to even get the mymovies.xml and all the other data to update. So I have given up on this method.

I use the save metadata button function now and I use it to setup each individual title. If you want to update episode data you have to go to each episode and click the save metadata button If you want to save title and disks data you have to be in the title/season level and click save metadata. If you follow this method. The metadata gets saved at that time. I still see that the zappatti and some thumbnails don't update unless you remove them first. When you press save metadata for the title/season level you need to make sure it finished updating. It may take a minute. Generally I wait for the blue outline to disappear around the button after you click it.

These are my finding at the moment.

Jamie
I could be wrong, but I think Saving Meta-Data at the Title level is different than Saving Meta-Data at the Season Level.

For sure, Saving Meta-Data at the Series level is different, but can overwrite the same file written at the Title level.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Pauven wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm I could be wrong, but I think Saving Meta-Data at the Title level is different than Saving Meta-Data at the Season Level.
Yes, each level is different. Updates different data.
Pauven wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm For sure, Saving Meta-Data at the Series level is different, but can overwrite the same file written at the Title level.
I haven't noticed that. I'll watch it next time when I update an episode.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Paul,

I deleted all the metadata files from this folder and did a title update. All the metadata here got recreated but the zappiti files had an older March 22nd date. I wonder where that date comes from? A Zappiti.xml file got created in the folder above this folder, but it was created with todays time and date stamp. Interesting that the Zappiti.xml file gets placed in a folder above the target folder.

Jamie
Attachments
zappiti dates.jpg
zappiti dates.jpg (538.2 KiB) Viewed 9491 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Jamie wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm Hi Paul,

I deleted all the metadata files from this folder and did a title update. All the metadata here got recreated but the zappiti files had an older March 22nd date. I wonder where that date comes from? A Zappiti.xml file got created in the folder above this folder, but it was created with todays time and date stamp. Interesting that the Zappiti.xml file gets placed in a folder above the target folder.

Jamie
I've noticed the same regarding the Zappiti file location. While I wish it was in the media folder with the other files, I'm okay with it being in the parent folder, though depending upon a user's folder structure, it is possible that different titles would be competing for the same file location, and overwriting each other.

I did have one occasion in which the Zappiti.xml file showed up in the grandparent folder, though I haven't been able to recreate this and it might have simply been temporary bad data entry on my part.

I've certainly pondered about this Zappiti file. My leading theory is that because both the <Series> and <Title> metadata files use the same name, that Binnerup intended for the <Series> file to be written to the parent folder, and the <Title> file to be written inside the media folder. That way they wouldn't overwrite each other, and this actually makes sense if the folder structure is \\TVShows\Game of Thrones\Season 1, as the <Series> file would live in the Game of Thrones parent folder, so it wouldn't get overwritten by other TV Shows, and would be sharable among all Seasons that live in that parent folder.

If this is the case, then I think this can be brought to Binnerup's attention as a bug that needs to be fixed. The Zappiti <Series> meta-data file is the one I really want, it is much better than the tvshow.nfo file. The bug is simply that the <Title> meta-data file is getting written to the parent folder, instead of inside the media folder itself, and because it is being written to the wrong folder, it overwrites the <Series> meta-data file.

I'm hesitant to bring this bug to Binnerup's attention myself, as Binnerup may have reason to not fix things they perceive as beneficial to MMB adopting the API. It would be much better coming from other users.

Of course, I might be grossly mistaken in my theory. Perhaps Zappiti requires both files to be written to the parent folder. Even thought that doesn't make sense to me, I don't know anything about Zappiti myself.

Paul

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Okay, I posed the question in the mymovies forum. Hopefully it's not too obvious what I am up to :)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Jamie wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm Okay, I posed the question in the mymovies forum. Hopefully it's not too obvious what I am up to :)
I just did a google search to see what is known about the zappiti.xml files, and I only got 1 result. For a second I thought it was going to bring up your post.

http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=210627

I don't know if there is a forum issue, but it says those log files have never been downloaded. You might want to add the link above to your question as further substantiation that this is a known issue.

On a separate note, I've been reading the Zappiti web site - it is a very interesting platform. I think it is funny that a lot of what they tout as benefits I have already implemented in MM Browser, and many of the other benefits are already on my roadmap. I think I might have gleaned a few new roadmap ideas, though. Good stuff.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I just sent a support email to Zappiti to ask what the correct behavior is for writing these Zappiti.xml files. I doubt they will be helpful, but fingers crossed.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm

I just got a reply from Zappiti regarding the ticket I opened:
Bonjour,

Merci de nous avoir fait remonter toutes ces informations.

Nous sommes en collaboration avec les développeurs de MyMovies afin de remédier à ces problèmes.
Tant que MyMovies n'exporte pas les fichiers correctement, Zappiti ne tiendra pas compte des fichiers générés.
En attendant, nous vous recommandons de ne pas utiliser cette fonctionnalité jusqu'à ce que MyMovies ait réglé le problème.

Cordialement,

L.H.
In case you don't speak French, here is an English translation:
Hello,

Thank you for sending us all this information.

We are working with MyMovies developers to address these issues.
As long as MyMovies does not export the files correctly, Zappiti will not consider the generated files.
In the meantime, we recommend that you do not use this feature until MyMovies has fixed the problem.

Regards,

L. H.