Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

WARNING - Bluescreen with AMD Radeon Driver 20.4.1

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

WARNING - Bluescreen with AMD Radeon Driver 20.4.1

Post by Pauven » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:53 pm

I am sending out this advisory to all CMC users who are running Radeon graphics. It is unknown if the problem described here only affects 1 system (mine), or if it will affect all Radeon users.

Today I upgraded my Radeon software from 19.12.13 to 20.4.1. After upgrading, every time I close CMC I get a blue-screen crash on my Windows 10 1909 PC. I've seen at least two different blue-screen error messages:

Stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
What failed: atikmpag.sys

and

Stop code: THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER

The affected PC is running the AMD Radeon VII graphics card, which I expect is rare in general, and extremely rare in HTPC use. This is my development workstation, which is why I'm running this high-end graphics card. Unfortunately, it's more than a little inconvenient when your development workstation crashes every time you test your new code...

I don't know if this issue affects all Radeon graphics cards, or only the VII, or only my particular PC. My recommendation is to avoid 20.4.1 at this time. I'll log an issue with AMD support.

I plan to roll back the driver, and probably try 20.2.2 instead. At this time, I don't know in which AMD driver version the problem began, I have only seen it in 20.4.1, and my previous drivers which did not have issues were about 4 months old, 19.12.3.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter