Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Resolved] CME v1.5 is freezing everytime I run the test

How-To and general support for the CMC Metadata Exporter (CME) which exports My Movies data via the My Movies API.
ahsiah78

[Resolved] CME v1.5 is freezing everytime I run the test

Post by ahsiah78 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:52 am

I never run CME before, and I ran into CMC at the first time, I am early subscriber to CMC in very early version. Recently I just got some free time and discover the CME. I would like to run the program but the program keep freezing and never got it to run at one time at all.

How am I going to solve the problem? Please help.

I have gone through the recommend setting that this forum recommend but still same problem? Please help me to troubleshoot.

For your reference, I am using Windows 10 64bit machine.

Pauven

Re: CME v1.5 is freezing everytime I run the test

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 am

Please post the log data from CME.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:50 am

Mind to let me know the exact place to retrieve the log? I have run the CMC and not sure the CMC had overwrite the original log file?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 am

The CME logs are in the same directory as CME.exe.

I'm not sure why you mentioned CMC, typo?

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am

I double checked the folder, it is only one application file CME app. Nothing else. IF you kindly give me more clue to investigate further?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:28 am

The logs are only generated if you run an export. Sounds like you have not run an export at all. I mistakenly assumed you had at least started an export, since you mentioned it freezing when you run a test.

ahsiah78 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:52 am I have gone through the recommend setting that this forum recommend
Perhaps you started in the wrong place. The recommended settings should only be used after you complete your first export.

Please be sure you have read and understand the guides for both Tutorial 1:
and Tutorial 2:
Do not proceed with Tutorial 3 until you have successfully completed Tutorial 2.

If you are stuck, the please post screenshots of the CME Settings here, so I can see how you have configured things. I would need to the 'My Movies API Authentication' tab:

image.png
image.png (136.37 KiB) Viewed 9149 times

Screenshots are very easy to make and post here. When you have CME open and in focus, just press ALT+PRNTSCRN and it will make a screenshot of just the currently selected program. Then in your reply here, press CTRL+V to paste the screenshot where your text cursor is located.

And the CME Metadata Export tab:

image.png
image.png (142.35 KiB) Viewed 9149 times

You should also post a screenshot of the main CME screen where you are trying to run a test, so I can see what it indicates, like this:

image.png
image.png (126 KiB) Viewed 9149 times

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:39 am

I have gone through the setting indicated by your forum posts. My program behave like this. Kindly refer to attached screen shot for better understanding.
Attachments
Annotation 2020-06-06 233732.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-06 233732.jpg (64.87 KiB) Viewed 9148 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:21 pm

You didn't show me the two settings screenshots I asked for (and gave examples of).

I won't be able to help you if you don't provide the info I need.

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 am

Here you go! Below are the two screenshots. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments
Annotation 2020-06-07 185923.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-07 185923.jpg (279.66 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Annotation 2020-06-07 185946.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-07 185946.jpg (262.17 KiB) Viewed 9139 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:41 am

Good, thank you ahsiah78.

I see a couple issues that likely explain the result you are experiencing. I'm going to put extra detail in this post to hopefully help other users who might experience the same troubles in the future.

First, you are trying to do an Export Changes Only. You should not have this enabled yet, as you have not done a successful export.

image.png
image.png (155.38 KiB) Viewed 9134 times

The Export Changes Only option uses extra code to evaluate timestamps in the XML. While in general, that should be okay even for a first export, if there is a source data problem, then this extra code can make the GUI hang as you're experiencing. If you turn the Changes Only option off, I think you will get a different result. Not a good result, just a different result with some error messages that would have gotten us to the solution a bit quicker.

That implies you have a source data issue - something's wrong with your access to the My Movies API.

The real problem here is that I think you are pointing CME at "My Movies for Windows - Home and Essentials" running on a Microsoft Windows Home Server. I'm basing this off of the "MYWHS" name you used for the "My Movies Desktop PC Name / IP Address:" value, so please correct me if I assumed wrongly.

image.png
image.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 9134 times

I can't explain why Binnerup does it this way, but he does not include the API with the server installs. I recently added guidance in serveral places to help clarify this limitation. This guidance is in CME as you see above.

It's also in section 3a of the Getting Started guide:

image.png
image.png (146.26 KiB) Viewed 9134 times

And it is at the top of CME tutorial "2 - CME Initial Setup":

image.png
image.png (178.95 KiB) Viewed 9134 times

The My Movies API lives inside of the My Movies system tray icon:

image.png
image.png (10.67 KiB) Viewed 9134 times

This icon / system tray service is not installed as part of the "My Movies for Windows - Home and Essentials". It is only part of the "My Movies for Windows - Windows 7, 8 or 10" install. You will have to install that somewhere in order to have the My Movies API. If you already have this installed and running on a Windows desktop PC in your home, you can point CME towards that PC.

image.png
image.png (141.75 KiB) Viewed 9134 times

Please let me know how it goes.
Paul