Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[In v2.0] PowerDVD 18 (play ISO file directly)

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
ahsiah78

[In v2.0] PowerDVD 18 (play ISO file directly)

Post by ahsiah78 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:26 am

I am trying to explore this MM Browser and I would like to by pass the VCD mounting ISO file and let PowerDVD to play ISO directly. Is it possible?

Please clarify.

Pauven

Re: PowerDVD 18 (play ISO file directly)

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:16 am

Hi ahsiah78.

I'm happy to help.

If you are trying to play an ISO file, I don't believe that PowerDVD can play an ISO directly. If PowerDVD can, then I wasn't aware and I would appreciate it if you could share with me what you know about this.

If PowerDVD still needs an external tool to mount the ISO, are you trying to use a different tool than VCD?

If you are trying to play a physical disc, that capability is coming in v1.9.

Paul
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 am

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I am having PowerDVD 18 and I can play ISO directly in PowerDVD.

Just not sure MM Browser shall directly spawn PowerDVD to play ISO file straight away without using VCD to mount the ISO file?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 am

ahsiah78 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 am I am having PowerDVD 18 and I can play ISO directly in PowerDVD.
Please tell me how, step by step, you are playing an ISO directly in PowerDVD. Start from the beginning.

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 pm

I just downloaded MM Browser, and tested. It needs VCD. I hopes there is ability to by pass this VCD and play ISO file directly in future.

Will keep an eye on MM Browser for upcoming versions about this feature.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Yes, currently MM Browser is designed to integrate with Virtual Clone Drive. I'm happy to add other solutions upon request, as I know VCD is not the only solution available.

I did a bit of research this morning, and I discovered that PowerDVD can install drivers to mount ISO's directly. I did not know this was a capability, and I've never used this feature. I will do more research and testing to see if I can get MM Browser to integrate with PowerDVD this way. The hard part is determining the correct command line system to send to PowerDVD to perform the mounting.

Thank you ahsiah78 for bringing this to my attention.

If possible, I will add this capability to an upcoming version. Not v1.9, as that one is nearing feature complete and I need to get it out the door. v2.0 is a possibility, or maybe v2.1.

Paul

ahsiah78

Post by ahsiah78 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:52 am

Great! I am happy to hear this.

Looknig forward to seeing this feature in future.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Paul,

When you open Powerdvd by selecting an iso and right clicking on that iso, you can select to play the iso with powerdvd. When powerdvd comes up it will see the iso file and ask whether you want to use the powerdvd drivers. If you say yes and it installs the drivers, whenever you bring up powerdvd after that it automatically plays the iso movie. I'm just telling you this so that you know how to get the drivers to install.

How you invoke powerdvd and pass the iso file to powerdvd, I can't answer. Powerdvd has had this feature for a number of versions now, I noticed this in 16.

Warning: It has been my experience in Powerdvd 16 at least that if you install the powerdvd iso drivers, that it may break VCD. If you have redfox this could be an issue. I believe that redfox needs VCD to do it's thing, especially fix cinavia protection. The only way I could uninstall the drivers was to remove powerdvd and reinstall it.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks Jamie, that's incredibly helpful information.

I have PowerDVD 17 installed on my main development rig, and it acts a bit flaky. I've been meaning to reinstall it anyway, so I'll be sure to test the ISO driver out as part of that overall effort.

I'm hopeful that to launch an ISO requires the same command as to launch a regular encoded file, like an M4a.

Paul

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 am

Quick update, I have been able to use PowerDVD to mount ISOs and play them. While it seems a bit slow to mount, it does work. Surprisingly, it works to mount and play ISOs without any help from a little red fox - I'm very confused by this.

I will be adding a setting to v2.0 to skip mounting with VCD and instead play ISO's directly the target program.