Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

My thoughts on My Movies Pro 4 app upgrade

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

My thoughts on My Movies Pro 4 app upgrade

Post by Pauven » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:40 am

For anyone not aware, Chameleon Media Center works with Binnerup's My Movies Pro apps for iOS and Android. You can configure the app to point at each of your CMC PC's as if they were Windows Media Center PC's, browse your My Movies collection on your phone or tablet, and then when you find a movie to watch, from the app you can initiate playback to the CMC PC of your choice. Even if CMC is not running, this action will launch CMC, navigate to that movie, and begin playback. For this to work, it does require that you run the CMC Systray Service on your CMC PC's, as that will receive the commands from the My Movies app. It's a really cool feature that I'm sure many CMC users would enjoy.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I keep getting notification emails from Binnerup that the new My Movies 4 Pro for Android app is half price through the end of the year, and that time is running out to upgrade. I had been ignoring these notifications until just a few days ago, when I decided to dig into the details to understand what's going on.

Note, I was not asked by Binnerup to post this info, nor am I receiving any compensation. I'm simply sharing my thoughts on the new app, and for those interested in using it, hopefully you can grab it at the discounted rate before the price hike.

I purchased the My Movies 3 Pro app over a year ago, and wrongly assumed it would auto-update to the new My Movies 4 Pro app for free. This is not the case, since it is a new, separate app, there is no free-upgrade path.

Binnerup is releasing My Movies 4 Pro as a new, separate app, and to use it you will have to purchase it. While the name is similar to the previous My Movies 3 Pro app, it is truly a new app and the only way to use it is to purchase it. Again. I think that is a cheeky way to continue earning revenue, but obviously us CMC users should all want Binnerup to stay profitable so that My Movies survives, and I understand their methods as an effective solution to monetize their existing user base.

Interestingly, they said that the My Movies 3 Pro app will continue to work, for now at least. It will not receive any fixes or feature updates, so at some point in the future it will stop working. Only My Movies 4 Pro will get app updates, for 3 years apparently, and then in 2026 they will release the next version that you have to buy again. So, if you buy now, you are basically purchasing 3 years of app access. The half price amount, $8, is good until tomorrow, then it jumps up to regular $16.

The new My Movies 4 Pro app does include new features that are not available in v3, including Movie Collections and Movie Lists plus lots more, so there are already several good reasons to consider upgrading, beyond the concern that the v3 will stop working someday.

So, is this a good deal? If you use the app, then yes. Binnerup is moving to a subscription model, and wants to charge $1/month, or $10/annually. If you subscribed monthly for 3 years, that's $36. And if you got the annual rate discount, that's still $30 for 3 years. So if you buy the app now for $8, you get full access without having to pay a subscription, and you are saving a lot of money versus the new subscription model. Even if you miss the Dec 31st deadline for the half price discount, the regular $16 app purchase price is still nearly half the price of the new subscription model if you used it for 3 years.

I don't know when Binnerup will stop selling the app and migrate to a subscription only model, but if you have any interest in using the app for the next few years, then I advise you to go ahead and purchase the app at half price while you can. That's what I did.

Note, in their emails Binnerup keeps calling it an upgrade that you're purchasing. I find it misleading - you don't actually have to own the current My Movies 3 Pro app to upgrade at half price. You are simply purchasing the new version at half price until New Years. Here's the link they provided:
Also, I'm not sure if the iOS version is discounted, but the advice above holds true - buying the app is much cheaper than subscribing later.

I'll post the email Binnerup has been sending me below, so you can see the info in their own words.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Pauven

Re: My thoughts on My Movies Pro 4 app upgrade

Post by Pauven » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:46 am

This is the email Binnerup sent me:
Binnerup wrote:Hello Paul

Earlier in December, we released My Movies 4 for Android at a very limited 50% off upgrade price! This is now the your last chance to upgrade at the reduced price.

Having successfully upgraded more than 10,000 of our users to My Movies 4, we hope that you also as a dedicated customer will make use of the half price upgrade offer before it expires after December 31'st, and a subscription based model is introduced.

The My Movies mobile applications is changing to a subscription based purchase model, but we know that many of our users are not fans of subscriptions, and we will therefore honor our existing purchase model, and give our most dedicated customers the continued chance to upgrade the application at half price, without the need for a subscription. Every third year, a new major version of the My Movies mobile applications is introduced, and those of our dedicated users who choose to purchase the half price upgrade every third year when introduced, can do this without the need of adopting a subscription based model.

The new My Movies 4 application is now available with an upgrade price of $7.99 (USD), €7.99 or £6.99, including all Android devices in the family through family sharing, with one purchase, which is a 50% discount on the purchase price. The offer ends on December 31’st, and users who would like to upgrade after this date will have the choice between a subscription based model, or purchasing the Pro version of the application again at full price ($15.99 (USD), €15.99 or £13.99).

The subscription based model will be available at the start of January, at $0.99 (USD), €0.99 or £0.79 per month, or $9.99 (USD), €9.99 or £8.99 per year, which means it will be significantly cheaper to upgrade now, ensuring that you will have the latest version or the application for the next three years.

We hope that you will support our continued development, service and support by purchasing the upgrade.

Easy upgrade and data transfer
When using the My Movies service, all your data is safely stored on our service though your user account - to upgrade, you purchase the My Movies 4 Pro application in the Play Store, and log in using the same user account that you currently use - you can see your username in the bottom of the settings page of the app - if you are logged in using Facebook or Apple ID, it will display your full name and your login method - you must use the same login method on the new version of the application. If you cannot remember your password, you may use the "Lost account" function.

Having signed in using the same user account, confirm when the application asks you to synchronize, and all your data will load onto the new application - the process can take some time, but it is a one-time process.

Should you be having any problems with logging into your user account, we are ready to help you on support@mymovies.dk.

Review My Movies 4 before upgrading
If you would like to review My Movies 4 before purchasing the upgrade, you can install the free version of the application in the Play Store, and log in using the same user account that you previously used. Since you have previously used the same user account under a prior version of My Movies Pro or Unlimited, we will provide you with a 21-day grace period, where you can evaluate the full application with your entire collection - but remember that the upgrade price is available only until December 31'st.

Can I continue to use My Movies 3?
Upgrading is optional, and you can continue to use your current application, but while we continue to provide usage support for it, the prior application will not receive any further updates, and therefore cannot be guaranteed to work on future OS versions and device models.

The application will most likely continue to function without issues for years to come, but history shows that new OS updates or device models over time will introduce small or bigger issues.

We hope that you will consider that the upgrade cost of using the latest My Movies version for the next three years is less than the average cost of just one movie in your collection - how many movies do you plan to purchase during those three years?

Remember! Upgrading now is significantly cheaper than upgrading later on, and should an OS update cause problems for the deprecated application version, or even cause it to be not useable, you will not be able to upgrade at a discount.

What do I get for my upgrade price?
Besides continued updates, My Movies 4 introduces a quite significant list of new features - we cannot highlight all features here, but will introduce some of the most important ones. You can in the "Help & Support" section of either the new or the prior version of the application see an introduction to the new features as well, in details.

Significantly Improved Search
The search functionality, when searching in your local collection have been re-written, and significantly improved with support for fuzzy searches, ensuring that can be sure to locate the exact title you are searching for. The new and improved search is much more robust when searching for strings that does not specifically match the title names, both in terms of miss-spelling, but also when your search string does not exactly match the title on the profile - as one example, when searching for "Singing in the rain", you would not see a result with the prior search model, as the correct title is "Singin’ in the rain", whereas the new search functionality is able to identify the differences, and even highlight the words causing a result in the search. The updated search functionality is a very strong functionality update, and we hope that you will give it a test-run.

Movie Collections
We all love movie sequels, most of us have the complete set of Star Wars movies in our collection, but god grief it can be difficult to keep up and get a good overview to ensure that you are not suddenly missing one of the Pirates of the Caribbean titles in the middle of the series, just when you have invited all your friends to a marathon - with a new movie collection feature, we give you an overview of popular movie collections and let you add movie collections to your collection, and discover movie collections based on the content of your collection, to let you easily see which collections you only owe partly. The functionality even gives us the ability to notify you when a new movie is released in a collection where you owe the prior titles.

Lists
What movie collections are for movie sequels, lists are for personal favorites within a certain genre, top linked movies, universes and anything else that you would like to store lists of, ranked or not ranked. Lists are intended to be a social thing, where you can share your lists with the community, get other community members to like your lists, and discover, like and use other members lists to get inspired. Easily create all the lists you would like, or add other members lists to your collection to follow them - and how about sharing that list of favourites you created for your followers to see on social media?

Quick Access Filters
Filters is one of the most powerful tools in the My Movies mobile applications, letting you filter between almost all available data on your profiles, letting you see only your Blu-ray or 4K Ultra HD collection, only the titles with a 7.1 channel soundtrack, or a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, or the ones featuring Dolby Vision - there almost is no limits with filtering. With My Movies 4, we are introducing an option to mark your stored filters to be directly available in the left side menu, where the application for popular filters will show an icon matching the content - this lets you have a "Blu-ray" icon in the left side menu showing just your Blu-ray titles, or an Google Play one showing all your Google Play titles.

Improved Media Details
Having a good overview of your collection with the correct icons for the media is essential, and with My Movies 4 we have added icons for a lot of different new services, including Disney Plus, and many more - and, we have improved the "Movie" profile type with an option to track the video and audio details of the title in your collection, so now, when you add a title from Google Play Movies, you can mark if this title is available in HD or 4K, and, mark if it features Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, letting you filter also your digital titles when you are looking for that stunning movie with all the bells and whistles.

Much, much more
The list of additions in My Movies 4 is significant, and there are just so many new features we would like to show you, and we hope that you will open the "Help & Support" section in your app to see all the highlights.

We need your support!

The downside to introducing a new application to the Play Store, so that existing customers can choose not to adopt a subscription model is that we start from scratch on listing positions and ratings - nearly 10,000 users have rated My Movies 3 Pro in the Play Store worldwide, with an average of a 4.8 rating out of 5, by far the highest rated application between us and our competitors - thank you!

We hope that those of you making use of our upgrade price, and purchase the new application will help us by leaving a rating and a review on the store. At the same time, we hope that if your rating is influenced by the fact that the application is not available as a free update, you will take the time to read our statement on why this is before rating the application. Just since the release of My Movies 3 three years ago, several competitors have folded and have either closed their service in full, or stopped updating their applications - with your support and understanding in the need of purchasing an upgrade, we can ensure that My Movies will continue to be further developed and supported for many years to come.

If you are unsure if the new application version is interesting for you, you can safely review the application using the free version of the application, with your full collection through the given 21-day grace period, after which the application will be limited to 50 titles. Your existing collection is safe on your existing application, also when reviewing the limited version of the new application - the new and prior versions are designed to co-exist. Please also take the time to rate and review the free application.

Thank you for your support in our application suite!

Best regards,

The My Movies Team

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi Paul,

Have you mentioned on the mymovies forum that CMC will work with the my movies pro 4 app?

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:26 pm

Good thinking. I just posted: https://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=po ... 20&#224120

I have posted about it there before, but not lately, and not in the app subforum.

JenishJohn12
Interests: I am Interested in Streaming movies and sports and technology

Post by JenishJohn12 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:19 am

The new My Movies 4 Pro app does include new features that are not available in v3, including Movie Collections and Movie Lists plus lots more, so there are already several good reasons to consider upgrading, beyond the concern that the v3 will stop working someday.

JenishJohn12
Interests: I am Interested in Streaming movies and sports and technology

Post by JenishJohn12 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:41 am

If any of you download My Movies pro 4 app on your device then don't forget to save the collection of Medea's Movies available on Netflix for the Endless smile on your face.