Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v7.0] Movies screensaver not starting

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
mikemack

[Fixed in v7.0] Movies screensaver not starting

Post by mikemack » Tue May 30, 2023 3:40 pm

Any idea why the Movies screensaver feature would not be working? I just did a rebuild of my HTPC machine using Windows 11 and current version of CMC (6.0 2022.1103) with CCC running on my media server and everything is working fine except the movies screensaver will not run. The feature is enabled and the delay is set to thirty seconds but it never starts. I have restarted CMC several times and have had no success.

I enabled the debug logs and combed through them but no errors were logged in any of the logs.

The movies screensaver worked in the previous installation on Windows 10. However, for some reason 4K movies were not playing in the Windows 10 build I had so I rebuilt from scratch on Windows 11 and now that is working but the movies screensaver appears to be the only feature not working.

Any help and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Pauven

Re: Movies screensaver not starting

Post by Pauven » Tue May 30, 2023 3:46 pm

I've never had anyone report the movie screensaver isn't working before, so I don't have any easy solutions off the top of my head.

The movie screensaver does obey the parental controls from CCC user accounts, so perhaps the parental controls are too restrictive and no movies are qualifying for the screensaver.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

mikemack

Post by mikemack » Tue May 30, 2023 8:06 pm

Attached is the user preferences settings from CCC. At first glance I don't correlate anything in these settings that might keep the screensaver from running.
Thoughts??
Attachments
UserPreferences.JPG
UserPreferences.JPG (229.24 KiB) Viewed 3271 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed May 31, 2023 9:08 am

I agree, that all looks good.

Just to double-check, your new install is connected to this CCC instance, yes?

mikemack

Post by mikemack » Wed May 31, 2023 1:18 pm

Yes, I run the CCC tests from settings in CMC and both the connection and share test successfully.

mikemack

Post by mikemack » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:07 am

To be more concise, yes, this instance is using CCC and functions properly and tests successfully. All the titles synch without issue using CCC.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:28 pm

When you open a movie to view the details, is the wallpaper present?

So sorry, my apologies. I've been assuming the screensaver was working for other users, including myself. I just tested it, and it isn't working for me either.

I'm not sure what went wrong, I haven't touched that portion of the code in years. But at least it will be easier to troubleshoot with it misbehaving on my PC too.

I am running Win11 (fully up to date), so perhaps this is a Win11 only issue. I'll have to test some of my other PC's to see if it's broken everywhere and if there's any pattern.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:05 pm

Looks like you have gremlins too. I don't know how these problems crop up? But, they do show up. Very humbling feeling when they do. :D

mikemack

Post by mikemack » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:35 pm

I would tend to think it's a Win 11 issue since the screensaver was working on my previous Win 10 build with same version of CMC and CCC.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:05 pm

After some more testing, I can confirm that this is not a Win11 issue. It behaves the same on Win10 and 11. This is as I anticipated, since the slideshow doesn't leverage any windows core functionality, rather it's fully a feature of CMC that's independent of the OS.

I have been able to get the movie screensaver to work, but even then it isn't working correctly. I have 3 user accounts configured in CCC, one for me, one for my gf, and one for guests. The screenaver only works on my gf's account.

Additionally, it only shows one of 4 titles. Even worse, the screensaver is supposed to reflect what you have filtered on the screen (i.e. Movies or TV or Action or Comedy, etc.), and regardless of what filtering I apply, I still get just the 4 same titles included in the slideshow, 2 movies and 2 TV series, and they show even when they shouldn't.

I'm thinking I broke this when I created the new advanced parental filtering features that tie into categories. The problem, best I can tell, is that when CMC builds the list of titles to include in the screensaver (impacted by both parental restrictions and currently displayed titles), it's simply building the list wrong. And if zero titles make it into the list, then it looks like the screensaver doesn't work at all, because it has nothing to show.

I'll have to dig into my code deeper to figure out the solution.